Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Possible theft deterrent @ 1 % of the car's value

Old 11-27-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Possible theft deterrent @ 1 % of the car's value

I am not sure if this has been suggested, but with the increased seat theft in the Sunshine State, I am interested in how many victims have had an alarm installed. Also,if they had an alarm,did they also have a proximity detector also added to the alarm?

Some people have suggested seat locks for all for Christmas. After the thief has slashed your top, will the thief just leave the car alone at the time that he sees the seat locks?

Here's an idea, though it may have been suggested in the past:

At 1% of the car's value, install an alarm.
At 2% of the car's value, install an alarm with 2-way paging,proximity, and code hopping for the black boxer whizzes from the past.

I am really curious to know:

Of the S-2000 seat theft victims, (excluding total car thefts), how many people have had or hadn't an alarm?

Thraak
Old 11-27-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would suggest against an alarm in SOME instances like this ... besides the obvious reasons (annoyance and lack of public attention anymore)

for the most obvious ... once they slash the top (with or without an alarm) the seats become exposed to the elements. I say spend a couple of extra bucks per month on insurance and get a new top and seats!!

just my 2cents from having recieved nearly $28,000 in repair/reimbursement from my last claim. That's not a brag about fraud ... they were legitimate for my coverage and more so because of my higher-than-normal limits.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

28,000.00.. what did you have setup? entire car stolen? and aftermarket stuff covered???

i just removed my seats and have my driver on a quick release since my aftermarket seat is 11lbs..

just hope w/ my dark tint they dont think their in there and slice top anyways.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay, I respect your opinion. Yes, many people do ignore alarms once they are activated.

And why does my insurance agent give me a 10% discount for having a passive armed alarm anyways?

I think that many of the thefts are happening to those that are overnight parking and not garage kept.

The dual proximity alarm activates once the elbow is approximately two inches from the convertible top and the wrist (that is holding the boxcutter) is approaching the surface.

How's that for a visual?

I still would like some evidence that this would not be a deterrent.

I am not an insurance inspector or agent, but I would think that the more claims against a particular make of vehicle, the higher the premiums for all.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:22 PM

nope ... actually i forgot $10k.

4-day old RSX-s. I t-boned a lady (Christmas eve) because she pulled out in front of me. My insurance company did NOT want to total it. I am very good friends with most of the staff from the local dealerships (Honda/Acura particularly). I made the body shop aware up-front that i would not tolerate any second rate parts or workmanship. So, they exceeded every estimate (including revisions by 4 different adjusters). They also took their time (i refused deliver twice due to problems) and that caused me to rack up 'lack of use' values. The repair bill was $18k. The lack of use was $2000. Injury to passengers caused 'nuisance' compensation for another $20,000.

Keep in mind that insurance companies 'roll the dice' with every accident and attempt to get people to sign waivers just to avoid this situation (and the greater majority of folks sign them ... AT THE SCENE OF THE ACCIDENT no less - duh). This was not the case with me: i am a 15year customer with my insurer, my legal representation is a good friend (letterhead with 'CPA' in it is priceless), and my LIMITS and total coverage practically REQUIRED them to pay. Remember ... this was against MY insurance company ... the only good thing about a 'no fault' state. Cover your own arses!!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thraak,Nov 27 2006, 07:16 PM
Okay, I respect your opinion. Yes, many people do ignore alarms once they are activated.
I say stamp our Social Security Number on the bottom of our seats!! No wait bad Idea thief
Old 11-28-2006, 04:09 AM

Thumbs down

the alarm is more for warning ME when it goes off.

VIPER 791

There is a radar dome upgrade that protects the interior of the car while the top is down.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by PrimoGen,Nov 28 2006, 05:09 AM
the alarm is more for warning ME when it goes off.
I got a Clifford G5 plus I'll take it a step further. I shoot at any Civics that get near the house so be aware
Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 AM

here's to keeping the peace! ... with a 'peacemaker' lol
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=MYS2KI,Nov 27 2006, 11:08 PM]I say stamp our Social Security Number on the bottom of our seats!! No wait bad Idea thief

Quick Reply: Possible theft deterrent @ 1 % of the car's value