Forced Induction For Sale Forced induction kits and components classifieds.
Mark this thread as Unsold

SC: SOS N1200 Supercharger Kit With Upgrades

Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default SC: SOS N1200 Supercharger Kit With Upgrades

!!!SOLD!!!

First Name: Ryan
Price: 4500 obo

I am letting my Science of Speed supercharger kit go. This kit started out as the stage 2 tuner kit. Throughout my ownership, I have taken the time to make the necessary upgrades that most SOS owners end up doing if they want to see the kit's full potential. Along with those modifications, I have also added features that make the kit far more reliable than it already is. As far as forced induction goes, the Science of Speed kit is by far the most reliable option available. It has been for a long time and even with newer kits coming to the market, this one still holds the trophy. With the Novi 1200 blower, power goals are between 300whp and lower 500whp depending on how far you want to take it. This particular kit comes with the necessary pulley combinations to reach almost any power goal you want.

Borrowed for RAIN H8R since he hit it spot on:
Maintenance for this kit is almost non existent, pulley changes take 15 minutes and do not require removal of anything other than the pulley and belt. Paxton has excellent customer support if the blower every fails, which is very rare to happen. You will not see the catastrophic failures you do with the Krafterwerks C38 supercharger systems, the SOS SC kit is damn near bullet proof. If you are in the market for a supercharger for your S2000, do not fall victim of the lower price appeal of the KW kit. It is a dirty trick and you will be very sorry you didn't opt for a SOS kit.

Supercharger part I
So to start the story. I originally bought this kit used from a member on this forum who had bought it new. It had close to 2000 miles on it when I purchased it. It started out as the N1220SL unit with the upgraded large heat exchanger from SOS. Other than that, the kit was as it came new and unmodified. I did all of my fueling, braking, tuning, cooling, clutch, thermal intake gasket, gauges, exhaust modifications, spark plugs, installed the kit as was with a 3.4" upper pulley, and took it to my tuner. (I like to go overboard with making sure everything is good to go and reliable) I drove it like that for a year without a single malfunction from the supercharger kit. After that first year I decided I wanted more power out of it.

Supercharger part II
Over the winter I decided to go all out with the kit. I sent the blower off to Paxton to get it upgraded to the N1200 head unit. I also spent hours measuring, remeasuring, and calculating to see what the largest crank pulley was that I could go with without causing issues with the supercharger belt removal, drive belt removal, and waterpump clearance. I finally came up the the number of 6.6" and called up ASP to get the custom pulley made. This pulley is anodized black underneath my paint that I did to match my underhood theme. The anodizing cost extra, but I did it because even though I was going to paint over it, the anodization process strengthens the metal. I installed it and found that all my countless measurements paid off. It fit just as I hoped it would with plenty of clearance to still be able to work on the car. I took a step back and thought about my exhaust setup and decided to go with an URGE Unicorn header to add to my test pipe and exhaust. (The header and test pipe are for sale HERE) In another attempt to make the kit more reliable, I sent the header and test pipe off to be internally and externally ceramic coated to control under hood temps. I added a flex fuel sensor to my AEM V2 along with ID1300's to make use of E85. I also went extremely overboard and replaced my entire fuel system with teflon lined -6an lines with a Fuellab filter and added a Walbro 450 E85 compatible pump. All this tied into a new AEM fuel rail. At the same time I upgraded my valvetrain to Supertech dual springs with titanium retainers just incase I missed a gear I had noticed that at 8000rpm full throttle closures with the N1220 that the SOS supplied Bosch diverter valves (I added another to the air injection nipple on the aftercooler) weren't enough the let the air escape to the atmosphere without causing a surging noise. So, since I was upgrading to a blower that pushed even more air, I decided measures needed to be taken to let that air escape freely. I did my research and decided on a TIAL QRJ with a -1.5psi spring so that as soon as the throttle shuts the valve is opening. I took off my aftercooler and had it professionally welded to accept the Tial QRJ. That combined with the Bosch still on the air injection nipple cured all surging issues. An unexpected, but good, side effect was that the boost is a lot more responsive with the faster acting TIAL. The kit could likely be run with just the TIAL, but I liked the idea of the Bosch remaining on there as a backup. While the aftercooler was at the fabrication shop, I got them to weld a 3/8" bung to accept the AEM (or GM style) air intake temperature sensor. The s2000's like to heat soak the factory sensor since it is sitting in the intake manifold on the 05 and below models. This causes false readings to the computer, making it think the air is hotter than what it actually is. I could see this on my data list and noticed it after hot starts. The new sensor location cured the false heat soak readings from the factory sensor. I also purchased offset camshaft keyways to change my mechanical timing from Mr Sideways on this forum. I did not install them for my second dyno session, but wanted them to play with after the fact. I also wanted an air filter that would outflow what I currently had on there. I decided after research to go with an Amsoil dry filter. The final thing I did was modify the SOS tensioner setup. I had heard of guys having belt slip issues with the 1200, and I wanted to make sure I didn't run into that. I am a Honda tech and I found that the v6 drive belt tensioner pulley was the EXACT size of the SOS tensioner pulley, only instead of plastic, the Honda ones are metal. I replaced that and drilled through the supercharger mounting bracket and added an idler pulley to the other side of the tensioner pulley to provide more belt wrap around the supercharger upper pulley. The extra pulley is sourced from the idle pulley for Honda v6 timing belts. It is removable if needed, but I would never see why you would want to. After all that I tuned the vehicle and have been riding on this current setup ever since...with the supercharger kit still being trouble free.

The original kit had around 2000 miles on it. The head unit and all the upgrades in the supercharger part II section have have 4000-5000 miles on them.

Now that you have a little back story (and full proof that I am super ocd ), I'll get into the nitty gritty if what you get for this price of $4500.

1.) Science of Speed Novi 1200sl super charger head unit with volute housing painted wrinkle black. Mounting bolts are new. The drain has been upgraded to bolt to the oil pan and the dipstick has be cut to accept a large flat head screw driver as the brass is weak and strips
2.) Modified supercharger mounting brackets with added idler, and upgraded tensioner (all Honda parts)
3.) Modified aftercooler. Includes 3/8" welded bung, and welded fitting for TIAL blow off valve. Aftercooler is painted wrinkle black
4.) AEM air intake temperature sensor
5.) TIAL QRJ
6.) Bosch diverter valve X2
7.) SOS intake tube with all air injection and recirculating options plugged (removable)
8.) All lines, couplers, clamps, hoses, etc to hook everything up
9.) Amsoil air filter
10.) SOS large heat exchanger painted black
11.) Aeromotive 320lph fuel pump
12.) Extra Paxton/Vortech supercharger oil
13.) SOS supplied 5.45" crank pulley
14.) ASP 6.6" anodized crank pulley
15.) 3.2" supercharger pulley
16.) 3.4" supercharger pulley
17.) 3.6" supercharger pulley
18.) 4.4" supercharger pulley
19.) Various supercharger belts
20.) Modified upper radiator hose per SOS
21.) Electric Johnson water pump for heat exchanger/aftercooler. Includes wiring
22.) Various nuts, bolts, misc other hardware that you may or may not need. I will put all of this in a box labeled other
23.) SOS install instructions
24.) Me....available on call for any questions you may have or help you may need during the install/setup. I have dons TONS of research about this kit and i'm confident I can answer any questions you may have. I also tune as well, so if you venture that route I'd be more than happy to help.

There may be some stuff I am missing, but in a nutshell, you are getting a turn key setup minus your ECU and injectors. You wont have to hunt down any vacuum lines, clamps, couplers, nuts, bolts, or anything that is aggravating and delays the process of the install. This kit has given me and many passengers huge smiles during my ownership. I just want it to do the same to someone else and find a good home.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope whatever you decide it continues your passion for the s2000 platform.

Pictures
The kit is still on the car, but I can have it off in a night if someone decides they want it. I'd rather leave it on the car until it is sold, but if there is a particular picture of something that you'd like, just let me know and I'll get it added. Sorry for some of the dark pictures. I took them tonight in my barn with limited lighting.

Last edited by rmerchant3; 04-01-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought some stuff from Ryan....great guy. And wow....look at this amazing setup that's been tweaked. If I wasn't running an SoS2 kit already for the last 4 years without issue, I'd be on this. What's next in store for you? Good luck with sale!
The following users liked this post:
rmerchant3 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:11 AM

Thanks Adnan! I means a lot to hear compliments considering all the time spent on this kit to get it where it currently is.

I decided to go a different route with my car and try the turbo side of things. I'm hoping with the setup that I choose, I'll get the same predictability and reliability that this kit provided. We all know that turbo's can be finicky, but I welcome the challenge.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Willing to part anything or swap with originAL SOS parts?
Old 04-01-2017, 10:45 AM

Sorry, but it sold this afternoon.