Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Buying S2k this summer

Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying S2k this summer

Whats up guys? I just wanted to shout out to everyone from Afghanistan. The Hawaii Ntl. Guard has been out here reppin Hawaii for about 7 months. We'll be back in July and the first thing on my list - besides getting shitfaced haha - is finding me an S2K!!! I can't stop thinking about it.

I had a couple questions -

1. How often do you guys meet up? I heard that s2k owners are pretty serious about their cars and have great communities!

2. Do any of you have preference for the AP1 or AP2? From what I've read...it seems like the only difference is the redline, 1" bigger wheels, and the style of the front end. I hope I don't start a big debate..ahaha...just curious for thoughts on that.

3. Is there any common problems with the s2k? Things I need to look out for when I'm trying to buy?

4. Do you guys get together and work on your cars? I had a real bad experience with my BMW...spent double what I payed for it in 6 months on repairs. Everything is going to be new to me...but I want to learn.

5. My budget goes up to 20k, but only for a car in excellent condition with <50,000 miles...if it were you - would you buy an older model and mod it - or buy a newer one that is stock?

A big hobby of mine is making videos. We should plan a big meet in August and I'll make a sick video for everybody!!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Hey, hows it going! im actually in Iraq atm, coming back to HI around your time also.

meets usually are around holidays, the most recent one was Presidents day i believe. Also do meets at Ward Starbucks and whatnot. Cruise around etc.
A few of us go to the Fri-Sat Car Cruises also..

I own an Ap1 and absolutely love it.

A lot of the s2k owners are friends and usually share tools,garage and whatnot together. the more you socialize and interact im sure we'd love to help you out with your car.

you can find cheap S2ks on Craigs and in the classified section. I also reccommend getting a stock S2k, only because you can build your car the way you want it. buying a modified s2k can lead to you not knowing whats been done and if theres anything wrong with it until it's too late.

A lot of the owners also like to do rolling shots and get hi res pics of the cars. Photography comes with these sick puppies
Old 02-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Sup Dbess15! Are you in Kandahar? I was there back in 09' . I just picked up a Ap1 not too long ago.

The only common problem i've read or heard about was the soft top ripping or forming holes because of the exposure to outside elements over time.

Idk if this is a issue with Ap2's but some Ap1's had issues with the Timing chain tensioner. Where some people would describe it sounding like a card flapping in bicycle spokes after the car is warmed up and at idle. Its on youtube =).

Other than that this is the most fun car i've driven so far.

Maintenance looks pretty simple per the OEM Honda Schedule maintenance book.

It's pretty dry for stock S2k's on craigslist at the moment (Oahu). But hopefully something comes up when you get back.

Be safe out there.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM

@ Eryk - stay safe man. ya i think you're right about going with a stock. i forgot to mention that this will be my first manual. Probably a good idea to start out stock rather than something thats been modded for racing. I'll probably start off pretty slow.

@ Cruz - nah but a lot of our unit is. I'm at FOB Shank. Middle of nowhere...but its quiet!!! thanks for the pointers on the top and the chain tensioner. I'm starting to lean towards an Ap2.

S2k's in Hawaii look like they're hard to come by...I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to buy in the mainland? I figure if I can find one in a winter environment like idaho/colorado (where ill be going to visit family) it might be worth the shipping if I can get it for a good deal. One thats only been driven in the spring/summer - thats been garage kept and has low miles. A real gem like that would be worth the shipping costs. It wouldn't have been exposed to the elements like cars in Hawaii too (salt/ocean breeze, etc.) ...but I just dont know if it will fit my budget.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree with your last post. getting a cherry one from the mainland is ur best bet especially if shipping is not as bad for you.

everyone will have their own opinion on whether to get an ap1 or ap2, so i would suggest just doing your own research and then trying to find what YOU want. i personally like the ap2 better but that's me. i am a more cosmetic rather than an engine guy haha.

as stated above, the cruises/rolling shots seem to happen when there are holidays, and some of the guys usually try to have "meets" at least once every month at a starbucks.

i've gotten to know quite a few of the owners and they have treated me like family. i am sure you will be treated the same, so don't be afraid to pick up ur s and join us.

anyways hope to meet you guys soon!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

seems like you guys covered everything gl with you search. come back safe
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 PM

where are you stationed sateside? KayBay?
If you're PCSing to Hawaii, they should be allowing you 1 free vehicle shipping. I didnt have a car when I moved to Hawaii so i never took advantage of it or knew about it.

Theres like 3 different companies that could ship your S here too.. I think one of them is Pasha.. I think Felipe can fill in on this.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Community Organizer

you have 3 options that i know of: pasha, matson and horizon lines
Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bouford,Feb 25 2011, 07:43 PM
you have 3 options that i know of: pasha, matson and horizon lines
do u know how much each one costs ?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by integlspwr,Feb 26 2011, 12:57 AM
do u know how much each one costs ?
last time i checked pasha was the cheapest @ $1G since the floor is sealed (car does not have it's on container).
there is a fuel surcharge that has gone into effect so the rate is probably higher

Quick Reply: Buying S2k this summer