Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

FAQ's about Maui, Kauai, The Big Island...

Old 12-13-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAQ's about Maui, Kauai, The Big Island...

The information will be from actual users who have actually been to the locales. This way you can get first hand accounts of experiences from the other members of this forum.
The Hawaii forum gets a lot of requests for information about Hawaii, but often times the best contributions come from other travelers. Therefore we're asking for your input to help out other first time visitors to Hawaii, or returning visitors who want to try something different.

Much Mahalos!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:56 PM

O.K.
I will start off though my knowledge of the outer islands is very limited.
If you are going to Maui, you should make an effort to watch a sunrise from Haleakala. It is an extinct volcano with features like a martian landscape, but has a spectacular view from above the clouds of a Hawaiian sunrise. Bring something warm though, as you'll freeze if you bring just a t-shirt (unless you're one of those fools who take off their shirts during blizzard conditions while watching an NFL game in the stadiums). They also offer a bike ride down the mountain afterwards, though I do not know the cost as I did not do this. It's downhill pretty much all the way and I hear that it's fun, though treacherous if you don't watch your speed!
There is nothing going on after 10 p.m. when I went there. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't know where the night spots are on Maui. There are many other things to see and do on Maui and I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can actually drive all the way around both ends of Maui as long as there hasn't been a heavy rain. The rental car map says you can't but you can. It is an adventure in itself with lots of side roads that lead to very quaint little villages and lagoons. You should reserve a day to drive around each "end".
Lahaina is a really neat town to spend a part of a day. The walk around town will provide you with lots of sites and shopping.
Some of my pictures from a year ago:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=3100545

(Next stop: Big Island next April. )
Old 12-13-2004, 11:34 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

guys

My tip: Eat Spam. It's delicious as musubi and all over the islands.

It can rain pretty heavily there - poor horsie

Some of the roads on Kauai are awesome -

For some reason Kauai was full of chickens

I forgot what these were called - but they were tasty (not as good as fresh lychee but pretty darned good anyway )

Old 12-14-2004, 12:25 AM

Here is the thing. I used to travel a lot to Maui for fun, but now I go there about once a week for work. Here is what I know of Maui....

Near Wailuku which is about 10 minutes away from the airport is where you can go to see the Iao Valley. Easy to get to and you drive through historic Wailuku town which is where the county seat of government is at.

Avoid Kahului. This part of down is very industrial, its right outside of the airport. Lots of car dealerships, gas stations, etc... Nothing really much happening here.

If you have never been to, I would suggest going to Hana. Warning! If you get montion sickness do DRIVE to Hana. You can actually fly there. Better yet, take a helicopter tour of Hana. Driving to Hana is nice, dont rush it. Take your time, you and your stomach will thank me for it. There are some nice shops before you start heading out to Hana. You can get some food and also a recorded tour from begining to end. But not something I would do twice. It does take about half a day to really enjoy Hana. Some really beautiful places to take pictures. Not to mention some really really really rich people live in Hana. Try asking some of the locals.

I agree with Stephen. Do the Halealkala sunrise visit. If you are staying in Lahaina or Kaanapali do plan to leave at about 200am to get there on time. And do dress warm. It is 10,000 feet up and, you guessed it, there is no sun when you get there. Hence the "sunrise" visit. There are tours that do the driving for you, and there is a bike tour. But here is what I recommend...

Do the Haleakala tour in the morning. And then head out to Hana in the afternoon.

Lahaina was the first capital of the Hawaiian islands, now its Honolulu. In Lahaina you will find some dumps to stay at. Cheap, econo style hotels. I stayed there once, never again. However, Lahaina is where you can do some interesting shopping. Some unique places, lots of art galleries, jewelry, local stuff. Lahaina is also where you will find the best night life in Maui.

North of Lahaina is Kaanapali. Here you will find some decent hotels to stay at. I would say the average - above average hotels are here in Kaanapali. There was a great Sunday brunch I went to, but I dont remember where... You might want to ask about that.

Further north is Kapalua. Very very nice. Expensive, out of the way, but nice.

Kihei has some nice hotels, again average nothing spectacular, the nice thing about Kihei is it has some nice places to eat and hang out. And if you need everyday stuff, I would get them at Longs. Go futher up Piilani highway and you come to my favorite place in Maui...

Wailea. Absolutely gorgeous. I could spend an entire day just looking at all the beautiful homes there in Wailea. Just spectacular. And the resorts here are some of the finest on Maui.

Do you like to eat? I like to keep things simple. There is a place called Sam Satos. Its in Wailuku and it has some of the best local food in Maui. Then there is Sansei in Kihei contemporary sushi place. My wife is into that. Lahaina has some good eateries as well. There is a place to get ribs in Lahaina. Not on the main strip (Front street) kind of hidden in the back there.

Do you like to shop? Wailuku has some local stuff, There are two major shopping malls in Kahului, Maui mall and Queen Kaahumanu mall which is accross the street from Maui Community College. If you like high end stuff, try the shops at Wailea. There is a Banana Republic in Lahaina. But my favorite, also in Lahaina is Front street. Lots of neat stuff to look at. Lots of art galleries too.

Do you like to Golf? I have golfed at Makena, they spoil you rotten there. Wailea the views! its all about the views! And Kapalua. I believe I play the village course there, nice, there is a hole there where you hit over an ocean cove onto a tight green. I liked it.

Go durring the winter season for whale watching. Go durring school vacation time for babe watching... I had to sneak that one in there.

Snorkelling at Molokini island I hear thats fun. I have never tried it. I have tried the Atlantis Submarine, I wasnt thrilled by it. I hear that the Maui Ocean Center is a great place for adults and kids. You might want to give that a try.

And now here is my little secret. For those of you who took the time and read all the stuff I just wrote, here is my ultimate place to visit on Maui. Well... its not on Maui. Its on an island near Maui. No not Kahoolawe, you dont want to go there. Its the island of Lanai. You can take a ferry there for about $60.00. There are two world class resorts, voted the best resorts in the world once upon a time. I would go there early one morning and stay over night. If you like the beach, thens stay at Manele bay, if you like the mountains, then stay at The Lodge at Koele. If you like to golf, you have come to the right place. If you like absolute quite, no street lights, stary nights, romantic walks on a beach with no one else! You are at the right place. If you like night life... go back to Lahaina. If you dont have much of a budget, go back to Lahaina. If you want to create a memory to last a lifetime. Go to Lanai. I cannot say enough about the experience I have had at Lanai. Check with the hotel about dress codes etc. Warning, it is not cheap here. But I would say simply the best place to relax and get away from it all in all of Hawaii. Why do you think Bill Gates picked Lanai to get married? Of all the palces in the world. You dont have to be a billionare to figure that out. Just need to be one to afford to be there.

I probably left many things out, not on purpose, but it is getting late and I do need to sleep. If I remember anymore, I will post again.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When honeymooning in Maui, here are some hotels to consider:

Grand Wailea

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua

Westin Kaanapali

Sheraton Kaanapali
Old 12-14-2004, 06:42 PM

Great suggestions guys! :thumbsup:
You're all making me want to take a trip to Maui.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:47 PM

That's why the local slogan in Maui is: Maui No Ka Oi (Maui's da best).
Old 12-28-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Colin and Steve,

Thanks again for the hospitality when I was out there last March.

Steve stated:

"It's funny though, usually the mainland owners of S2000's know more about Maui from traveling there than do the locals living on Oahu."

Rick,

Ironically I live in Virginia. But I have been to the state of Hawaii twelve times over the years and have visited all the tourist islands with the exception of Molokai, Lanai (only three hotels) , Niihau (privately owned) and Kahoolawe (restricted to scientist).

If you plan on doing what most people do on their Honeymoon, you know, it starts with an "S" and has nothing to do with Shopping. I may have the perfect place for you. You also mentioned, that you are on a limited budget. Would it be romantic to take your showers out doors while overlooking the ocean?

This is the view from the shower.

Lay in bed with the ocean view just on the other side of your toes without having to worry about someone looking in on you?

I took this picture laying in the bed.

I actually have to give the credit to my wife (known here as Plant Pixie) as she found this place. It is on the western end of the famed "Road to Hanna" (you will wish that you were in your S)

http://www.mauiflowerfarm.com/

We stayed in the Gazebo Cottage and if you are not looking for room service but just a very romantic private setting even out on the Lanai (clothing could be optional) this is the place. And by Hawaiian standards for the normal cost of a hotel this place is a bargain at $1000 a week. It is a bit off the beaten path, but perfect for honeymoon where it is all about the two of you. There is a small fridge, a microwave, a grill as you can see from the shower picture.

It is about a half an hours drive to Momma's Fish House. Considered by many to be the best restaurant on Maui. Pricey, but good. BTW, they fly in Alaskan oysters that are served on the half shell topped with a dab of caviar!

I hope that this helps.

Matt_inVA
Old 12-28-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by lig,Dec 14 2004, 04:34 AM
For some reason Kauai was full of chickens

I noticed that as well on my last trip to Kauai in 2002. The reason is Tropical Storm Iniki that hit Kauai very hard in 1992. Although, it was never classified as a hurricane it was thought to be a Class Five. It did $1,800,000,000 in damage. And I guess that one could include all of the chicken coops that it destroyed, thereby liberating and creating the Kauai "Free Range" chicken.

You are right! They are all over the island.

Quick Reply: FAQ's about Maui, Kauai, The Big Island...