Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Moving to Hawaii

Old 06-15-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Hawaii

Sup guys,
Im sure there has been a billion threads with the same title haha. Anyways, ill be moving to Oahu in the coming weeks (s2000 is coming with) and i have a few questions.
I hear the dealerships are slow to get parts, so is there any recommended parts i should stock up on while here on the mainland? besides car parts is there anything in general i should be stocking up on? Cost isn't an issue (prob the only time i can say this lol) with moving the items so i would just like to have the items on hand if/when i need them.

I would also like to get some general input on neighborhoods. Looking for a safe neighborhood with some good schools. Ive been looking to the north and east of Hickam, but am also considering ewa and Kapolei.

Any input is appreciated. Also, if you want to drop some Ig names that'd be cool. Mine is @Norcal_steve

Thanks!
-Steve
Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you break stuff all the time I don't think there is a need to stock up on parts. Oil filters are readily available at Honda or any other parts outlet. Not sure what else you really need all the time or in a hurry
Old 06-16-2017, 12:34 AM

A lot of s2 owners here live in Mililani, neighborhood is relatively safe and quiet but expensive. Like above, haven't really had to order a lot of parts. I'm sure the other owners will chime in, good luck on the move!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

congrats steve! i added you on ig (same sn as on s2ki btw).

parts, should be no issue at all. if they have to bring anything in, it's 2-3 day wait since they air stuff frequently.

the traffic to and from hickam is less than 30 minutes if you live nearby the base. i would suggest aiea or moanalua. the schools in these areas are good.
i have had friends live in kaneohe or kailua and take the h3 to work (on base) everyday. drive time is about 40 minutes one way depending on traffic. schools on the windward side are good too.

no matter what area, renting or buying a condo/home on oahu is expensive. i remember a few s2ki members renting together to pocket as much housing allowance as possible

lmk if you have any more questions. see you soon.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 AM

Welcome! Like Stanford said mililani is really great. I've lived in mililani my entire life. Convenient stores for basic nessecities are close(Walmart, longs drugs, pets mart) also gyms. The community consist of more older people depending on what part of the neighborhood and schools are great. Mililani high school is one of the best public schools on the island. As far as the commute to hickam. It takes me 15 mins at 05:00 as I work right next door at Pearl Harbor. I personally would avoid ewa and kapolei as rush hour traffic is the worst to and from those areas. But there are also other good communities as well
Old 06-18-2017, 02:21 AM

Also added you on ig. Name dus_dangers. Finally another MY05 nfr
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 AM

Thanks guys! I guess i had heard wrong about the dealerships lol. Im doing some basic maintenance before i ship it out there so it should be good for a while anyways.

As for areas, i really liked Mililani but houses that pop up for rent are far and few between. Im hoping we get lucky and one pops up closer to when we'll get on the island. The wife was also looking at Aiea, waipahu, ewa. Ewa seems to have the most houses for rent for slightly cheaper than others but i can see how traffic would be a problem.
Anyways, i can't think any other questions i would have right now. Added you guys back on IG
Old 06-19-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to add another to the fam!

If youre DOD/military, why not live on base or in base housing? Haha save you some hassle. I might be one of the few active forum guys that live in the town area. Ive been a "townie" my whole life and dont have much to complain about except that yeah it is expensive (like everyone has said any where you live) and that its very populated. Traffic for me hasnt ever been much of an issue and i work on hickam. I guess it really just depends on what days and what times of the day you are driving.

Regarding car stuff, as bouford said, we usually dont have an issue with dealer stuff and a bunch of us have "hook-ups" with shipping or with mainland companies, so you could always just post on here and most likely someone will chime in with some help. Ive owned a bunch of cars throughout the years, and id confidently say this community is best hands down. What im trying to say is, we wont bite

congrats again and let us know if you need anything. Gonna be adding you on ig now
Old 06-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

no more housing allowance if live on base
Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well at least utilities included, especially that A/C (well not sure if theres a limit to that but im sure its more than decent) haha! And car port since we all cant afford ballin garages like you felips

Quick Reply: Moving to Hawaii