Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

SCCA AUTO-X

Old 01-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say all of you should come out to check it out, STR class or not, and to most of all have a good time!

If it's your first time, what class you're in or what place you come in overall isnt going to matter and even if you come in dead last no ones going to think any less of you. The point (i think anyway) of a first time (and any time after that) is to just have fun driving your car!

The biggest misconception is that you need a "race car" or "a car with mods on it" in order to participate. There have been stock VW beetles and even a geo metros, In fact, theres quite a bit of "stock" cars that attend.

First time is always nerve wrecking and all the anxieties ive read here all have ran through my mind before and after the first day you realize that its not that bad at all...
Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 PM

i'm also a regular at scca events, and am also willing to instruct the novices. look for the silver subaru sti, or if you come out for the start of the new season, i'll also be driving my ss s2k. i recommend everyone should try it at least once. it definitely helps you with learning the limits of your car and also improves on you driving on the street. the skills i've learned have helped me in the past avoid potential accidents (i.e. avoiding junk falling out of a pickup truck and the cars around me).
Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM

man it's been awhile (like 9 years or so?) since i last did an event. i can't even remember the diff classes and what not.

you know, the thing that has turned me off all these years? some of the members that go to these events, they have personally PMed me on Forums Hawaii taunting me, harassing me, etc about my previous car. Lincoln Loo really ruined it by making it less appealing.

BUT, i think i'm going to just go for fun. i just hope i don't blow up any fenders haha
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM

whats a pretty kool idea was before my friends and his group all pitched and got a 240 and beat the crap out of it. good thing is that we wont have to worry about our fenders getting all hamajang lol just a thaught!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM

The STR class would be a good class for you s2k guys to try it out.
Stock is always better, but most of you are probably modded too much.
Don't go overboard, the SSM class has FTD about 70% of the time - the 240z and turbo miatas aren't fun to play with when they have 275mm wide race tires.

STR will be available for the 2010-2011 season which starts in July.

Be ready to get teased, it really is in fun, but if you have thin skin, it might get to you. We were all noobs at one time and getting teased about it is fairly normal.

Get an instructor, you'll need them to help you not look like an idiot out there. You don't know how many people tell us "I street race, I go up tantulus all the time, I'm good so I don't need your help." Then they get beat by my fiance in a 400 treadware tired Mazda3. heh.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 PM

^the biggest challenge for me was seeing the track ahead and not just reacting as the turns came up. imo, most people who are new to autox will find the maze of cones and the way they are positioned very confusing, especially at speed. it all makes sense when you walk the course but in a moving car and with a helmet on, it's a different experience. that is compared to a race track (or street if that's your thing) where the path is pretty clear.

i've attended a couple autox days here but never participated and just took pictures instead. but in seattle I've done my fair share of noob moves, i.e. locked up brakes, spun out, took out a ton of cones, missed the turns, and the list goes on. but even with all that it's still a fun (and safe) experience.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 PM

i have never seen any real teasing at autocross. But definitely see highly modded cars come out for the first time only to realize they have a lot to learn, the difference is whether they take advice or use excuses.....
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM

im sure i'll be messing up a lot with the s2k at autocross. going from FF to FR after all these years and all...

i think i'll try it out this year, esp with the new class. it's a shame that hawaii doesn't have an actual road course. i just hope i read the cones correctly. the last time i went to an auto x session to watch i saw a wrx run the course all weird
Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM

ya.. i wonder if they're ever gonnna either re open the track. or if they're gonna make anew one or something in a few years. doubt it, but it'd be nice.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM

Just wanted to put this back in everyones mind.

Quick Reply: SCCA AUTO-X