Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Any S2K Cyclist out there?

Old 05-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 05-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EffWun
I've not rode a bike in a little over a decade just recently picked up a 2013 Bianchi Pista Via Brera single speed for 340 last week. Not the best deal but I think it was the best option for me I could have found in two months of craigslist searching and reading about bicycles.

So far so good but got questions if any guru would not mind helping.
So far I have
- Adjusted the brake pads/calipers as they were not angled properly on the rim of the wheel. (hand tight, not sure if there are forms of torque specs)
- Cleaned/wet lubed chain/crank/cog pieces and the brake caliper joint.
- Everything else seems smooth as hell, wheels still true as their is very minimal deviation when free spinning with bike upside down. Either way, both my wheels since purchase isn't 100% straight in line with the frame center and there's slight camber/toe/caster going on.

I've been riding 5-30 mi every single day since last week with via hard sprints and jog level of intensity. Aesthetically and function wise I run with nothing on but for longer trips I may opt to carry a rear pouch with quick tools or just full backpack and run a soft saddle add-on.

I've not smacked/curb a wheel but I've managed to pinch/curb the front tire between grass and side walk (almost curbed wheel ) but instead I curbed tire and has a slight indent on pinch. Will this affect alignment issues in the future?
The rear wheel/tire I've cut a grass/side walk corner too sharp and rear wheel went over a small dip crack that the grass is below and up onto the sidewalk and felt very sharp like a mini curb or pot hole.
Overall I do a lot of tire smacking on some holes/bumps/cracks/craggily roads that I cannot avoid. How long can my wheels/tires/frame take a beating or is can this entirely be omitted and there is no problem with it as the bicycles and components were designed with such in mind?

If anyone has torque specs or a master sheet of basic adjustments would be GREATLY appreciated. Which bolts can get away with hand tightening and which require actual torque specs? What maintenance schedules am I following and what type of alignments do I need to do. Expected miles out of components or tires?

Even though it's been over 10 years I was able to hop on and start swanging/weaving/riding hard with no problems except certain angles of cornering and cornering radius is a bit odd still. Still a lot to learn/re-learn

thanks for reading, if a separate thread for help/guidance is required please separate.
You're overthinking it a bit.

If you go to a bike shop, they don't bust out the torque wrench unless it's carbon fiber or certain very finicky cranks/stems.

Brake pads are often toed slightly so as to clear the rim, prevent squealing, etc.

You can line up the wheel in the rear by sliding forward/backward in the dropouts.

It's a bike, ride it until things break, replace them as needed. Steel frames are generally very robust.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THMotorsports

RAD is that lil switz?

Here's my newly deployed bike carrying solution
Old 07-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Above post is awesome. I can't imagine putting a bike rack on my S2000, but I can appreciate those that do.

Update from me - completed the 100 mile version of the Dirty Kanza a month ago, mostly problem free. Knocked 90 minutes off of my time from 2016, but the sad part is it could have been even faster. The conditions were absolutely perfect and the gravel was very fast, however, from miles 55 to 70 I battled cramps and that did some damage to my pace. After getting through that stretch and pounding fluids I was able to fly the rest of the way. I contend another 30-45 minutes could have been removed from my total time. Also, sold my gravel bike a couple weeks later - upgrading early next year to something lighter, faster, updated design, and had to sell now while the market was jumping.

Happy pedaling!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Been riding since 2012.. Been slacking since '16!
I got mixed up with the local "go-hards" and was riding 100+mi/wk, seeking out all the climbs, doing gran fondo's and crits 2012-2015.

First "real" bike, '12 Roubaix:
https://get.google.com/u/0/albumarch...WDh4RNjUFBP3UE

Old crit bike, '12 caad10:
https://get.google.com/u/0/albumarch...0I0EX_4tQItwpQ

Current/keeper, '14 Roubaix s-works w. hydr discs, and power:
https://get.google.com/u/0/albumarch...xDXKfS5vAWI26c

I've got a couple other bikes too.. bare aluminum Allez Sprint 1x SRAM and a dark metallic green Trek 9th district (the coolest flatbar bike ever) but these are fun/ frame-up builds!

Local mountain in Phoenix: (you can hear the discs working/ 230lbs!)

If anyone is local to AZ or wants to rent bikes on a trip to the desert, hit me up.. We can ride or I can point you to the right places!

jason
The following users liked this post:
FearlessFife (04-05-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:55 AM
Community Organizer

BUMPITY BUMP.

Hit my mileage goal for 2017, upgraded gravel bikes for 2018, also upgraded components on one of my road bikes. Should be a fun year. What say you?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
BUMPITY BUMP.

Hit my mileage goal for 2017, upgraded gravel bikes for 2018, also upgraded components on one of my road bikes. Should be a fun year. What say you?
Bottom bracket bearing replaced, and the +1 and I are planning on doing our first ride this weekend.
Some good goals for me:
1. increase the number of rides by 33% - my mileage is what it is, but I noticed my frequency was terrible.
2. Add one more event to my calendar. Right now, I train up for one 2-day event every year, and could easily add a 1-day event earlier in the year, especially for monitoring progress. No, it's not a race, but "event conditions" can tell you where you're really at.
3. Get the 29er prepped with real pedals and double the number of days I ride it.
FearlessFife (02-28-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In response to the original post: I used to be the big serious cyclist, racing every weekend, training 14-22 hours per week (with a full-time job), back before I had kids. Now I'm riding 3-5 hours per week and trying to enjoy it instead of feeling like I need to train. It's hard to move on from something that has so far consumed your whole adult life. One day I'll have 2 kids, then I REALLY won't be riding much!
I used my CRX to get to bike races, but when I got the S2000 I bought a used hitch rack from a friend and took that to a few races/mtb rides. It was WAY more fun than the crx, but changing inside it was a pain, hah!
FearlessFife (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 05:42 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Bottom bracket bearing replaced, and the +1 and I are planning on doing our first ride this weekend.
Some good goals for me:
1. increase the number of rides by 33% - my mileage is what it is, but I noticed my frequency was terrible.
2. Add one more event to my calendar. Right now, I train up for one 2-day event every year, and could easily add a 1-day event earlier in the year, especially for monitoring progress. No, it's not a race, but "event conditions" can tell you where you're really at.
3. Get the 29er prepped with real pedals and double the number of days I ride it.
Sounds like an awesome year is coming!
Old 02-28-2018, 05:46 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by austincrx
In response to the original post: I used to be the big serious cyclist, racing every weekend, training 14-22 hours per week (with a full-time job), back before I had kids. Now I'm riding 3-5 hours per week and trying to enjoy it instead of feeling like I need to train. It's hard to move on from something that has so far consumed your whole adult life. One day I'll have 2 kids, then I REALLY won't be riding much!
I used my CRX to get to bike races, but when I got the S2000 I bought a used hitch rack from a friend and took that to a few races/mtb rides. It was WAY more fun than the crx, but changing inside it was a pain, hah!
I am in the same boat. I have two boys under 5-years old, and my wife has a crazy work schedule. During the season I will do 100-120 miles per week, but it really takes some dedication (at times) to make it happen - early mornings while the boys are sleeping, riding after the kids go to bed, getting child care secured so I can ride on some weekend days, etc. I try my best to ensure the kids come first, but sometimes I have to meet a training plan and miss a little bit of time with them because not being prepared for an event is not optional.

It's not uncommon to find me out in my driveway during the warmer months at 8 pm (after the kids are in bed), spending my free time washing my bikes because it's a rest day.

Last edited by FearlessFife; 04-05-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Any S2K Cyclist out there?