Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Any S2K Cyclist out there?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Any S2K Cyclist out there?

Just got back into riding a couple of weeks ago. As of late been riding a converted Cannondale MTB into a road bike. Averaging about 15 miles a day. Enjoy riding in the evenings after it cools down some. Working to get back on the Orbea and get in some single track in the woods. What do you enjoy riding more Road or Mountain bikes post up people. Later BD
Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Cyclocross here - as well as commuting to work if you can call it that, 1.5 miles through the city.

Giant TCX SLR2 is the transportation
Old 06-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have four bikes and I mostly ride road. And though road riding is a blast and the primary version of cycling for me, my favorite riding is gravel roads. Overall I put in 100 miles per week during the season.

2014 Salsa Warbird 3 - gravel grinder.
2015 Trek Émonda SL6 - very fast road pedaling.
2013 Trek 1.2 - road pedaling.
2008 Trek 3700 - trail warrior.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a spin bike for our home gym (which is a laughable way to put it considering it's only a treadmill, a sit up bench thing, and a pull up bar lol) along with a Polar H7 heart rate sensor linked with Polar Beat app. I've only used it once so far but it was pretty damn cool but I have to admit it kicked my ass. 10 minutes on that thing with my HR in range I swear was harder than running a 5k on the treadmill.

Point to this story: I'm looking to take up cycling but I wanted to start here first. Running is terrible for my joints (especially since I've multiple major leg surgeries and my doc told me not to) and I am looking for something with less joint impact strain. Swimming would be great too but I figured a spin bike was easier than putting in a pool in the backyard
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a road bike from the 80's. Its a ROSS. 10 speed, not too heavy( compared to my last bike, built in the 70's)I ride it usually 20-30 miles a week when I can. I want to start riding to work(9-12 miles)but can not connect the back roads with out a small ride on a HWY.

I pain $40 for this bike and sold my other for $120.( paid $70 for that one and had to do a few things to it)
I need new tires because the ones on it now are probably original, and are dry rotted. but for $40 and a tune up(free) i think i did alright.
Also it looks cool on top of my 89 hatch...a new carbon fiber fancy bike would make the car look out of place

Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
Point to this story: I'm looking to take up cycling but I wanted to start here first. Running is terrible for my joints (especially since I've multiple major leg surgeries and my doc told me not to) and I am looking for something with less joint impact strain. Swimming would be great too but I figured a spin bike was easier than putting in a pool in the backyard
J - I have tried several times over the past 10-15 years to enjoy running, but I can't. I hate it. I am glad to see others find it fun, but I am not able to. Aside from the less body damage aspect of cycling, it's simply more fun. A lot more freedom affords me to use this hobby as therapy. It's how I deal. I can leave the house on my bike pissed off and I will come back with a smile on my face each time.

Originally Posted by sinepome
I pain $40 for this bike and sold my other for $120.( paid $70 for that one and had to do a few things to it)
I need new tires because the ones on it now are probably original, and are dry rotted. but for $40 and a tune up(free) i think i did alright.
Also it looks cool on top of my 89 hatch...a new carbon fiber fancy bike would make the car look out of place
As someone who has leaped from carbon fork/aluminum frame to all carbon I can say the difference is mind blowing. I won't try and explain, but the most understandable comparison I can provide is it is like going from a stock Civic Si to a stock S2000. The precision in engineering and materials used to build the bike make a huge difference in the riding experience.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really trying to get into cycling from the excellent cardio and leg strength/endurance it offers. I'm eventually going to pick up a road bike of some sort but I'll never really get into racing or anything where it would be advantageous to eek out every bit of distance/speed/whatever per unit of effort (again, or whatever, I don't know about these things yet). Fife I think I remember you saying you dropped several thousand on your setup? I can't imagine being able to justify that for my current needs, unless you have some insight for something that I may be missing or I may be looking at it all wrong?

Right now I'm thinking "what is a good bike, that is an excellent 'bang for the buck.'"
Do you have any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1435681915' post='23665624
J - I have tried several times over the past 10-15 years to enjoy running, but I can't. I hate it. I am glad to see others find it fun, but I am not able to. Aside from the less body damage aspect of cycling, it's simply more fun. A lot more freedom affords me to use this hobby as therapy. It's how I deal. I can leave the house on my bike pissed off and I will come back with a smile on my face each time.

Originally Posted by sinepome
As someone who has leaped from carbon fork/aluminum frame to all carbon I can say the difference is mind blowing. I won't try and explain, but the most understandable comparison I can provide is it is like going from a stock Civic Si to a stock S2000. The precision in engineering and materials used to build the bike make a huge difference in the riding experience.
I bet. going from an all original 1970's steel, full lugged frame, to a bike of about 25% less weight, even that is a leap. not only the weight but the work it takes just to keep the heavier models moving
Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I used to do a lot of road cycling but as I've gotten older, I've gone with a hybrid so the wife and I can do some light trails as well as roads. I have a 2015 Specialized Sirrus that I ride a few times a week. I'd ride more but the weather has been shit all summer.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky
I'd ride more but the weather has been shit all summer.
This summer sucks.

I have a few bikes, nothing fancy. I still haven't ridden my new bike.

Quick Reply: Any S2K Cyclist out there?