Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Any S2K Cyclist out there?

Old 07-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I guess no one rides BMX?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1435758446' post='23666629
I think I would be okay with a $1,000 price point. What I'm not okay with right now is $2,000, $3,000, or more like I know some people are spending on these. I think some frames alone will go for $6k?? I think I saw that somewhere? That's not for me, obviously.

As arsenal said, with a couple extra hundred dollars maybe I could get some much better components. That's difficult for me because I'm always about the "best bang for the buck" on this type of hobby but I also need to be reasonable on the scope of my purchase. I have never ridden a road bike. Literally, never. Also, for me (right now) this is primarily exercise oriented. I think I will really enjoy it in the future but that is my focus right now. So if I can get "more efficiency" or "lighter weight" or "more speed" or whatever are the main factors of a great bike, I don't think those are MY focuses. My focuses will be the quality of the components (fewer/cheaper maintenance intervals), longevity (something that I will be starving for "more" in a year or two), etc.

I will definitely go get fitted. Are bike shop prices pretty close to say Amazon prices, since I know there's a lot of good entry level road bikes on there. I would hate going in and getting fitted for something only to say "see-ya" when it comes to going and purchasing it online. Although I would definitely take it to them to be assembled since it seems like a reasonable average price for assembly and I don't want to fk it up.
Honestly it's much better buying from the local shop - if you need a quick adjustment or something fixed they are right there and it's free, plus you usually get a discount on all accessories and parts (which you will buy!)

Agree 100%. Bicycles is one of those products that I strongly believe that a local shop is the best route to go. You build relationships there and when it's time for maintenance, servicing, upgrades, accessories, they will always be there. Specialized, for example, only sells to local retailers and they have 0 online shopping (unless you want to by a bottle cage or something small like that).
When I bought my Sirrus, I had to have it special ordered because they only make so many of them. Once it came in, I went to the shop and spent 45 minutes or so getting fitted. I also had them put my pedals on and moved my computer off my Felt (sorry Brian, I had no space for a third bicycle). They also gave me a new water cage and I was back out on the road.
I've gone back once already to have them make a slight handle adjustment. I could have done it myself but I wanted another set of eyes to make sure my back position wasn't some wonky angle by doing so. They also had a few new road bikes that I was peeking at. Maybe someday... but for now, I love my hybrid.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
If you can, also get shoes and clip-in pedals. You'll be as much as 30% more efficient when riding.
Get the clip-in pedals, and mind your shoe fit too. . . (keep reading)

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by arsenal' timestamp='1435731159' post='23666417
$1k is a good point, but it is also the magical point at which you are so close to having much better components. If you can stretch to 1200 - 1400 there is a huge difference.

This also. Especially if you can get closer to the $2K price point on a road bike you can have a far and away better bike to ride.
Don't forget to bake in $100-$300 for accessories you'll need:
1. Pedals (see above)
2. Shoes
2a. The clipping system
3. Shorts (the bib shorts took some getting used to in terms fit, but once you're there, so nice. . . )
4. Jerseys
5. Extra tubes, pump/cartridges/patch kit, tube repair tools/kit, lights,
6. Water bottle(s)
7. Bottle cage(s)

Lastly, both local shops where I've gotten my bikes have had free tunes for the life of the bike. I had to get an emergency tune (out of area) and it set me back $85, so there's definitely some perks to a local bike shop.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Skip the clips and shoes for now. You don't need them.

Skip the spandex. Leave that to the bikes and coffee crew. You don't need them. Plus your balls will thank you.

Just ride the bike as is and enjoy it. If you feel you need clips you can pick up a set later on down the road.

Don't sacrifice quality components for accessories.

Last bike I bought I added pedals which were $30. Rode bike home and haven't bought anything else. It was a $1450 bike (crazy discount) but if I would have said no so I can spend $300 on accessories I would have come out with an inferior bike.

If I have a flat, to the shop, $10 later it's done while I was looking around. Yes I can do it, but it's easier to walk the block to the shop and have them do it.

And I ride more than probably 90% of the users on here.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:15 AM
Former Moderator

I like the clips I have.. well, sorta... they are clips on one side, standard pedal on the other. I went with that option because I like the flexibility of riding to the butcher shop (or bar), and turn around and come back under 5 miles and wear basic shoes.

I like the convenience of being able to take my bike to the local shop and have the flat fixed but in the event I get stranded at the park or on a trail, I like the ability to fix it on my own, so I carry tools, air, and spare tube.

Oh, and another perk to local bike shop. If they ever do free maintenance classes, try to attend one. Usually they are free, and give some nice tips on maintenance and repairs.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:17 AM
Former Moderator

and on a side note, this is the first nice weekend in forever and the bike is going on the car and coming to work with me today. there is a nice bike path near work so i usually squeeze a ride in at lunch or after work, or both depending on how my day looks. first time in two weeks.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Former Moderator

Riding at lunch is good but coming back sweating like a pig even after a shower in a button down sucks. I need a bigger office fan at work.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky
Riding at lunch is good but coming back sweating like a pig even after a shower in a button down sucks. I need a bigger office fan at work.
My employer has a full gym and showers, so I am good. Though lately I have been playing pickup hoops over lunch twice a week, then riding at night those same two days. Lift weights the other three days. Ride on the weekends too.

I am just too lazy to load up my bike and bring all my shizz I need for a ride while I am at work.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

BTW, Mocky - you just have that one Specialized bike, correct?

And for that matter, what does everyone else here have in the garage to pedal?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Quick Reply: Any S2K Cyclist out there?