Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

How active?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How active?

Exactly what the title says. How active do you guys stay? Do you have a desk job, or something that gets you moving and on your feet? Do you take walks every 4 hours? 2 hours? Every hour? How many times do you hit the gym? How many days do you lift vs cardio.

I guess this thread is to just really get people thinking about what they do everyday. I know a lot of us have fitness goals we'd like to reach.

Me personally, I have a desk job. Yet I get up at least once every hour to walk around. I go to the gym 5 days a week to lift and cardio maybe 3 of those days. I track everything that goes into my body, such as macros and calories.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a desk job, five days a week. I try to get up and do a half mile walk three times a day. Three days a week I lift weights, four days a week I ride a bike 20 miles or more (minimum hour ride each time). I track my foods and exercise via FitBit and MyFitnessPal.

My downfall is my diet. I love carbs, especially breads/pastas/sweets/beer. I would not say I am unhealthy, on the contrary, I am rather healthy when compared to the majority of people in my same demographic and age group, and especially compared to the US as a whole. I am just in this phase of life where I don't have enough desire and motivation to stay disciplined on my nutrition a lot of the time. I am not sure why I don't care more, but right now I would prefer to simply work harder (exercise) to eat more of what I shouldn't. Though I know this isn't the best policy I just don't give a shit.

Life is way too short to not enjoy some foods you love.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:54 PM

Moderation on everything!! I eat sweets. I love carbs and beer. But I maybe have beer once a week. Maybe twice.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Desk job but has a tad bit of travel involved.

I get up at least every 30 minutes, stretch, walk around for a minute or two. Gym 5-6 days a week but it took me a minute to get to being that dedicated. My step counter puts me at 10,000 steps a day over the week and 4-6,000 over the weekends
Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a desk job. I workout on avg 2-3 times a week when I'm not training for a running race or triathlon. It would be a 50/50 split on cardio and weights.

I workout on avg 4-5 times a week when I'm training for a running race. It would be a 70/30 split on cardio and weights.

I workout on avg 5-6 times a week when I'm training for a triathlon. It would be a 90/10 split on cardio and weights.

I don't watch what I eat but I do watch how much I eat.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TW00Si
I don't watch what I eat but I do watch how much I eat.
This is a big key. Portion size.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Gatsbee13

Used to have a desk job. but there was a gym at the location.. found many ways to work out including walking with my co-workers during our short breaks (15-20 mins/twice a day). and of course using the on-site gym whenever i could to lift..

now that I'm not in the office anymore, i walk my dog in the morning for about 30 minutes on an empty stomach.. just some light "fasted cardio".. and also walk him again at night for 30 mins..

i also try to get in so HIIT (high-intensity interval training) for about 15 minutes a day.. when I'm most active, id say i have all this down and 3-4 sessions of weight lifting a week.. but $hit happens and sometimes you fall off course..

but at the very least, i got to get that morning walk in with my dog.

these past few weeks have been a little stressful for me so I'm not getting in all the activity i want.. but I'm gradually getting back to it.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
I have a desk job, five days a week. I try to get up and do a half mile walk three times a day. Three days a week I lift weights, four days a week I ride a bike 20 miles or more (minimum hour ride each time). I track my foods and exercise via FitBit and MyFitnessPal.

My downfall is my diet. I love carbs, especially breads/pastas/sweets/beer. I would not say I am unhealthy, on the contrary, I am rather healthy when compared to the majority of people in my same demographic and age group, and especially compared to the US as a whole. I am just in this phase of life where I don't have enough desire and motivation to stay disciplined on my nutrition a lot of the time. I am not sure why I don't care more, but right now I would prefer to simply work harder (exercise) to eat more of what I shouldn't. Though I know this isn't the best policy I just don't give a shit.

Life is way too short to not enjoy some foods you love.
Yep lol

Maybe quit riding your bike so damn much and your body wouldn't crave all those carbs But seriously, that's a lot of miles/exercise in a week. I don't know how anyone could be more then 150lb with your kind of activity level, plus the lifting? Damn. When are your rest days?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I have a split 50/50 desk and active. I do my fair share of sitting in a day though when you include my evening TV/computer time. That is typically balanced with an evening brisk 2-3 mile walk before or after dinner 2-5 days a week depending on weather, and then my 3 days a week of hardcore lifting. I used to run 2-3 times a month 3-4 miles at a time, but that tapered off to near 0 over this summer. Just too much, probably get back into that in the colder fat storing months. As is I take in 3200 calories a day just to maintain my weight which i'm happy with at 188-192lb. If I ran too id need to find another 300-400 calories to consume that day to maintain and its tough for me to eat that much 'decent' or any food.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:33 AM

I have a desk job that requires no energy at all. I have to force myself to get up to use the restroom every hour just to have an excuse to walk around. I do lift weights 4 days a week though, if it wasn't for that then I'd probably be a total fat-ass. I hate running so lifting weights is my cardio lol

Quick Reply: How active?