Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

Skateboarders

Old 09-28-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Skateboarders

Any skaters out there? About to turn 30 and I jumped back onto the board a couple months ago after about a 10 year hiatus.

7.75" Almost Rice Burner Daewon Song Deck
Indy Stage 11 Standard 129's
Spitfire 52mm Formula Four's
Mini logo bearings
Mob

8.25" Deathwish Slash Deck
Independent Titanium's
Bones STF 56MM
Bones Swiss
Mob

Would be cool to be able to nerd out about skate videos or setups and such if there are any of you all out there.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

I have not been on a board in quite some time here (I am 42). But ... actually have been debating building and ultra mini (4') halfpipe in the yard for the past year or so I snowboard all winter, but still have the urge to hop back on wheels again.

I skated pretty much every day from the time I was 13 to 17, then less when real life kicked in, then a bit more again in college (I started college when I was 21) and then not much at all until my son got into it for a while about 7 years ago. I went to the skatepark with him a few times, skated out front with him, etc. But then have not done it again for quite some time. I do miss it.

I skated a lot of different setups, but always Indy trucks. I ran bones wheels and then spitfire mostly. Bones swiss bearings or when a skate shop visit was not an option and a bearing failed, drill press bearings of the same size :P

I skated street mostly, but we did have a 7' mini with 9' vert extensions on each side at a friends house for a few years, so we spent a decent amount of time on that.

One of my coolest memories was briefly meeting Rodney Mullen, at a small skatepark demo in Joplin MO in 1991. For the brief time I talked to him, he was a pretty cool guy Someone I respect on many levels still today. Watching some old flat ground videos of his from the 80's was part of what got me into skating to start with.

Back in my day (heh heh) one of my favorite videos was Reason for Living. I still love the soundtrack from it and have found as many of the songs as I can again. I catch a lot of the new videos when I can and lots of youtube stuff of course.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm 42 myself and grew up mostly riding bikes but did some skateboarding, mostly just riding down hills on the road. There weren't really any ramps around here in the eighties. Fast forward to 2008 when an indoor skate park was opened up around here. I was 33 and hadn't touched a skateboard in 15 years at least. I took my mountain bike there thinking I could find something fun to do on the ramps but I really don't have the skill to make it that fun. The owner was a seasoned skater and taught my friend and me how to drop in and surf around on the 6 ft half pipe. I really got hooked on skateboarding for a few years until they shut the place down. I haven't skated in at least 5 years now but miss it sometimes. I think I'm getting too old now though ....lol. I've done lift serviced down hill mountain biking and every other form of cycling but nothing is scarier to me than skateboarding. Some of the tricks people do on ramps while catching air just blow my mind. Its terrifying even thinking about it.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Grew up on bicycles, never really got into skateboarding. BMX in my teens, 51 now and just got into MTB. Sprained my ankle pretty good on Sat. TTing in the S will be difficult this coming weekend.

I have over 1600 miles on my bicycles so far this year.

Continued Risky Behavior.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Brings back some memories! I actually had the soundtrack that came with the VHS back in the day ... no idea where it went.