S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NEW DIY: Cooling plate installation

Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Red face NEW DIY: Cooling plate installation

So you bought a cooling plate. Maybe you bought it for looks, maybe because you think there's a performance gain, regardless, how do you get it on the S? I'm writing this DIY as the last one lost all its pics, was two dozen pages of people asking where the pics went, and was somewhat complicated to begin with. Fyi, the airbox cover is off because I just reoiled my K&N filter.

Instalation is pretty straightforward and requires unscrewing the retainers that hold the bumper on and the two bolts that hold the radiator in place. All pics are of the plate on the car, so you can see how it should fit (assuming I did it right myself).

You'll need:

A phillips screwdriver
A 10 mm (I think - it may be 12 or 14 mm) wrench

Start by removing the five retaining screws on the bumper. You can see them in the pic below right above the Honda emblem. Once you have them out, slide the metal lip out, and with it the rubber weather seal.

Close up of the retaining screws:

Once the screws and lip are out of the way, unbolt the radiator from the frame. Once the bolt is loose, lift the whole fastner off the car.

Passenger side:

Driver's side:

Now that everything is out of the way, you may want to clean the car up a bit. If not, take the rubber seal and fit it to the cooling plate. If you attempt to use the metal lip, you will find it practically impossible to get everything to fit. Once the seal is on the plate, make your test fit by placing the plate and seal on the car. This is where you'll first run into any fitment issues - you may need tosand off the passenger or driver edges to get the plate to fit and properly align over the fastner screw holes and radiator bolts.

Before you fasten anything down, get the radiator fastners back into place. The hardest part is getting the passenger side through the hole, but its not that difficult. Loosly fit the radiator bolts, but don't tighten them down. Then place the bumper fastners and start loosly screwing them in, making sure you can get each one back in.

After some playing around, everything should fit. Make sure you pull the weather stripping flush with the bumper as possible, and tuck the two end pieces into the cut outs on each fender.

Driver's side (passenger side is pictured above):

Now is a good time to test the latch mechanism - see if it will move freely, or if there is any rubbing. I had to cut out a small section so the latch could fully return to its tighten fully open position without rubbing on the plate. Once you check that the latch works, tighten everything down, but don't apply too much pressure or you'll risk cracking your new cooling plate!

Now, test the hood for closing properly. First, gently shut the hood, and give it a light push over the latch. You want to make sure the plate is not hitting the hood anywhere, because if it is, dropping the hood shut could crack the plate. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will click locked. Maybe not. If you need to make adjustments, start first with the rubber bumpers on the frame, next to the radiator bolts. Its the rubber nub right next to the bolt.

Try screwing them up or down to get a good fitment. If you can't adjust the bumpers and get the hood to close, you made need to adjust the hood latch. Unbolt the latches four bolts and slide the latch slightly up or down, and see if you can get the hood to click shut.

Once you have everything tightened down and the hood shuts, you're done! Stand back and gaze upon your new and improved engine compartment.

The following users liked this post:
EffWun (05-26-2019)
Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice writeup, thanks!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks Saki! These instructions are very clear, it will definitely help me when I install my plate!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah excellent. Just got my AUT today and was (like many others) looking at the old thread with an unhappy grin. Thanks again Saki
Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Community Organizer

Post some pics after your done Dave.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the writeup! Clear and concise got it fitting in perfect.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Im wondering: If you get a KN intake and a cooling plate - will the plate divert air directly to the intake? hmm
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Community Organizer

^yes it does, look in the official intake thread for a picture.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Nov 29 2009, 11:35 PM
Im wondering: If you get a KN intake and a cooling plate - will the plate divert air directly to the intake? hmm
Yes - the plate shunts all the over-the-engine-air through one opening, so it effectively is condensing the air and increasing its velocity into the airbox. Since the K&N FIPK is in the same place, the same thing happens.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. I'll deffinently be using this for mine.

Quick Reply: NEW DIY: Cooling plate installation