Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

More seats stolen

Old 04-08-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More seats stolen

Friend of mine who lives at the intersection of Redmond Way and Willows Road in Redmond. He parks his car in an outside car park in front of his apartment every night, and apparently someone caught on:

[QUOTE]My car was broken into (top cut open), seats stolen last night.

Alarm was bypassed by cutting the battery.

Doh.

I just had the cops take prints.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Apr 8 2005, 01:19 PM
He parks his car in an outside car park in front of his apartment every night
Yup, that definitely is the common thread. Parking outside, at night, in a predictable location. These are pre-planned thefts, not somebody just cruising by and happening to notice an S.

Not a good idea to have an ungaraged S2000 in this area.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, didn't someone used to make those locking seat bolts??? I havn't seen them around here, but remembered some threads on them a while back...?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kodokan_4 sells the seat locks and they are worth every penny. He still sells them I believe.

SenseiRick sells the seat lock warning stickers to go along with the locks.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me appreciate hard tops that much more. Sorry to hear about the loss.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jhoostoy,Apr 8 2005, 04:26 PM
Makes me appreciate hard tops that much more.
Driving around in the sunshine today is the counter to that argument....
Old 04-08-2005, 07:09 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=PedalFaster,Apr 8 2005, 02:19 PM]
The policewoman who handled my case asked if I was part of the s2k club.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:22 PM

I'm PedalFaster's friend with the jacked s2k.

I have to admit I was asking for it given my living arrangement. I was mildly hoping that given my parking spot was quite open and lots of other apts. look over it, that I'd be safe.

But really I should have followed my brain instead of that other organ (or 2). I should have moved into a place with a garage first. I had heard about seat thefts, so I wasn't at all surprised at what I saw in my lot this morning.

I was living a bluff and got called on it.

My s2k story is somewhat interesting aside from having it broken into, at least for those who know PedalFaster.

I fell in love with the idea of the s2000 back in the year 2000, but couldn't afford it and didn't know stick at the time. So I bought a manual mazda protege as training wheels to get me by. Fast forward to July/August 2004.. I'm walking out of a theater one evening with my friends, one of whom is PedalFaster. Due to some accident of circumstance and logistics (which I don't remember the details of), Steve needed someone to drive his old s2k for him, and I was the only other stick driver present. Boy did I not realize what I was getting myself into there, at least not until after driving Steve's evil Berlina for a mere 10 minutes blew me away. It didn't take long for me to remember what I was unable to do in the year 2000. Two weeks later, I ordered a Suzuka.

I absolutely loved every second I had with this car, even those few instances where I had to leave the top up because water was freezing outside. Heck, the 45 seconds I drove with hailstones bashing my head just two weeks ago was exhilerating.

Well, here I am with nothing to sit on and some changes to ponder. Perhaps I'll keep the s2k, but certainly not if I continue to live where I am now. I may have to resign myself to waiting for the time when it makes sense for me to own such a fine drive. I don't know how things will play out yet.

It's a rare feeling, having my poor judgement being taken advantage of so bluntly.

Regardless, the s2000 will be no less fantastic to me tomorrow as it was yesterday. Today, aarrghh...

Cheers.

p.s. RT: Holy CRAP. Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing, or are you playing tricks with the pixels on my screen? That looks.. no... yes.. maybe... wrong hair color.. but... nah.. no.. no.. I think I might have broken a law just now. Not sure though as I'm canadian and all.

Seriously, the policewoman and the others who helped me out today kept me in good spirits. The highlight of today was seeing the resourceful dude from the towing company drive my car with his head barely peeking above the steering wheel, lookin' pretty stylin' with flops of covertible top brushing his hair.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:24 PM

Might be able to rent a garage? Or buy a hardtop? Problem is any convertible is just too vulnerable, and those damn civic kids make for a big market for stolen S2K seats.

But I have a friend with a Prelude who had her seats ripped off a few years ago, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the idea that a hardtop will save you. It's easy to slash the top, but it's just about as easy to jimmie the doors.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:59 PM

> Might be able to rent a garage?

Interesting, never heard of that. Seems it would be tough to not be within a couple of minutes of s2k vtec at all times if I owned the car.

> Or buy a hardtop?

50% of why I love the s2k is that it's a beautiful *convertible*. I love the car's performance, but I'm not one to maximize it (edit: not that a hardtop does that, just saying that isn't the biggest reason I have the car). The only interesting performance driving I've done so far is getting all platinums in PGR2, and being ahead of PedalFaster with the s2k challenge in that game for a short while. But nothing yet on a real track, so in this respect I haven't done the car justice by owning it. But back to the subject, my favorite feature of both my old mazda protege and the ancient 1.3L toyota tercel station wagon I drove in college was the sunroof...

> But I have a friend with a Prelude who had her seats ripped off a few years ago, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the idea that a hardtop will save you. It's easy to slash the top, but it's just about as easy to jimmie the doors.

Steve mentioned that he knows of someone who had the seats stolen from their s2k out of a garage. I'm not sure if that was around here.

Quick Reply: More seats stolen