UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New Car Questions

Old 01-25-2003, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Questions

Recently ordered my new S from UK dealer for a March delivery (GT, Silverstone/full red int). You guys seem to be going crazy about the Muz Mats, so I went on the site and speced up a set of premier mats, with logos etc. Shit, the price with carriage was over
Old 01-25-2003, 11:10 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blurter,

Welcome & happy ing

1) I don't have Muz mats for the floor, however, I do have the Muz mat for the roof well - well worth it. The standard Honda floor mats are rubbish (I know because I have them). from what I've heard, most people just love the Muz mats, mainly because they are off very good quality & secondly because they cross the cross-member which the Honda ones don't.

I think it should be no problem for 'er indoors to bring the mats over from Oz, although which you get depends on your budget !!

2) Fitting the autochanger should be no problem, although getting it to work with the existing stereo will be a challenge (if not impossible). As far as I am aware, there is no existing wiring in the cars. You need to run the data cable from the stereo to the autochanger.

I've fitted my OEM autochanger in the boot 'tool well'. See picture below......

Any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

HTH

Regards
Bharat
Old 01-25-2003, 12:26 PM

Pretty loaded?? I wish - I have remortgaged my house for my car and have not regretted it since. Like you I looked at the mats and thought f*$k me that alot of cash for a bit of carpet but I ordered them anyway as I want the car 100% and I must say that they do make a big difference to the looks and feel of the interior. Are they worth
Old 01-25-2003, 01:48 PM

What are muz mats? anyone got pics? of standard honda ones too if poss!

I;'ve got some weird rubber things in mine (look like they're cut to fit), maybe the original owner made custom ones.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:52 PM

Go to the site sponsor list and look at Muz S2000 accessories, the mats are right there
Old 01-25-2003, 02:30 PM

Once you have your head around Muz mats you need to start worrying about:

The relative benefits of Zymol and Zaino
To "clay" or not to "clay
Your CAI
Your headlight bulbs - 100W or 130W
Your tyres - whether to change to Eagles
The location of Bracknell Tyres and how to get there
The choice of speed trap warning device
The spacing of the characters on your number plates
Whether to wear Kung Foo pants or not when cleaning the car
Whether to upgrade your exhaust system to make a nicer noise
The different angles of the nearside and offside mirror housings
The choice of clock to stick on the dash
The design of a metal grill to fit into the air intake at the front

and so on.

Believe me - owning a Ford Focus is far less stressful.

Welcome to the group by the way

(You will find all of these things and many more in existing threads)

I spend hours on this site - and I do not even have an S yet
Old 01-25-2003, 11:29 PM

LOL

I found this site about 3 weeks ago and have already been pondering most of the above. Now you've given me some more to think about.

Ohhhhhhhh no!!!!!!

BTW - when do you take delivery? New/used? Import?UK?
Old 01-26-2003, 02:03 AM

I ordered just before Christmas from a Dutch broker called NCT. NCT were just a little cheaper than the much talked about Verhagen - and Verhagen - while incredibly helpful, friendly and responsive - would not close the gap (a few hundred euros). I do not know which dealer NCT use though for some reason I cannot pin down I think the car will actually be sourced in Belgium.

I specifically do not want delivery before March/April - when the weather is better. If I get it earlier then I will be strongly tempted to put a lot of messy miles on the clock in slippery conditions. The order confirmation estimate is "four months" for delivery.

So far so good - except euros are getting more expensive.

My next decision is whether to have the car delivered to my home (I live not too far from Harwich and so within easy reach) or whether to take advantage of my new found spare time (I am jobless from the end of March) and go and collect it.

One of the issues on collecting it myself is the issue of insurance. You will find some threads on this. It seems that you can get temporary (in my case Dutch) registration arranged by the supplier which will cover you to drive the car all the way home and you then get the car UK registered. However, one thread explains that you can only get third party insurance until the car is UK registered. I am not sure this is correct and will be investigating.

My current car was an import - brought to my door by a UK importer. However, we got into a loop. To get the car taxed (by the importer) we had to prove it was insured - but at that point it was not registered - and as we did not have the registration mark we could not get it insured. However, our helpful insurer let us insure using the VIN number - on condition we told them the registration as soon as we knew it. Which we did. This suggests I could get the car insured from the day I collect it using the VIN number - which is globally unique. We will be exploring this nearer the time.

Other than that - no problems - but then I am currently a few thousand euros down with nothing to show for it other than a piece of paper promising delivery.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Blurter
Also, how easy is it to retro fit my own CD changer. I assume the wiring is already fitted? The dealer wants nearly 400 sheets do do it. Sounds steep to me?

Your comments are much appreciated (I think?).
Honda use the Alpine M-bus interface between the head unit and CD Changer in the S2000, but to make thinks a bit more interesting they switched a couple of the pins.

This means that you have the choice of paying Honda
Old 01-26-2003, 02:40 AM

Steven - is there a certain Alpine unit I should fit? Ditching the head unit and starting again sounds favorite to me. Whatever I fit, I'd like it to be compatable with the remote dash controls; is this a problem?

How much you reckon for head/changer/interface?

XBy2k - chickened out of the import route and went to UK dealer. March suits me to cause of weather. Just sold my '97 200SX, so I'm now running round in a '92 Civic I've borrowed from a mate. March seems a very long way off!

Thanks 4 info guys

Quick Reply: New Car Questions