New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Turn off A/C when in defrost-mode

Old 02-09-2003, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn off A/C when in defrost-mode

I am guessing several of you already know this, but I just came across this post and I have been wanting to be able to do this since day #2 of owning my car...so for anyone else, here it is:

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by ntphan
Old 02-09-2003, 02:23 PM

incidently - I just tried this and it totally works! YAY!

Now I have the option of turning on/off A/C when I am using the defroster
Old 02-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

WOW!!!!! I gotta try that!

errr...........

Wait a second I don't have to I have the First and Best production which doesn't have this feature.

Seriously awsome find!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:41 AM

Great detective work!!!

Kind Regards, Chris
Old 02-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Er, I'm confused...

To turn off the AC compressor when you go defrosting just hit the now-lit AC button.

Voila! AC off. (page 91 of owners manual)

(Or floor it, then the ECU dissables the compressor until you're coasting normally again..)

If you're trying to dissable the automatic function, aren't you then making it more steps to engage it when you want it (which is pretty much always)?

That's a safety liability, distracting you from the road (not good on a rainy/foggy day when you're most likely using the defroster).

I laughed actively when my Honda dealer mentioned this "new" feature of automatically engaging the AC w/defrost.

My GM Pontiac Fiero GT did that WAY back in 1988!!! Hello!!! Get with the program!

(Maybe the jap cars didn't do that 'cause their AC wasn't standard??? I'm not sure my '91 MR2 does it...sure enough it doesn't. Well I guess GM gets credit for one puny, inconsequential thing...)

While I usually prefer things not to function too automatically (hence the reason I keep using my Amiga--a computer that is a useful tool rather than thinking it's smarter than the user like Windows and Macs do now...) this is a case where it seems logical and reduces the button pushes.

So, what am I missing?

Ah, perhaps you park your car outside in winter (shudder) and are using this to melt ice on the windshield? If so, leave the AC on and select the recirculation mode (page 92 of owners manual). Having the AC compressor on will increase the load on the engine causing it to warm up a little faster (and the ECU will probably raise the RPM's a little to compensate--also warming the engine a little faster).

Randy
Old 02-10-2003, 12:17 PM

The key bit is "To deactivate automatic a/c feature on a 2002+ S2000:"

On the '00 and '01 s2000 it works the way you stated - on the '02 and up it is not possible to turn off the A/C when the defrost-mode is selected... I like having the option to turn it off and not being forced to use it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randy
[B]Er, I'm confused...

To turn off the AC compressor when you go defrosting just hit the now-lit AC button.

Voila!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jmrobins
[B]incidently - I just tried this and it totally works!
Old 02-12-2003, 05:37 AM

I do not remember if it still auto-ons or you need to specify. I will try it tonight on the S and let you know.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by jmrobins
The key bit is "To deactivate automatic a/c feature on a 2002+ S2000:"

Ah ha! That alleviates my ignorance! Thanks.

How stupid of Honda to change a perfectly fine, working system to a limiting system.

(I wonder if they've gotten people coming in claiming their AC switch is broken as it won't turn the system off. I wonder how they handle that in the manual.)

I wonder why they spent money to inhibit the functionality. I know the fan was changed to increase the power of the midrange settings, any other changes to the heat/vent/AC system anyone knows of that explains this insanity?

Randy

PS: It occurred to me this morning, as I walked into my kitchen and the light came on automagically, I do appreciate selective use of such items. (I replaced the switch in the kitchen w/a motion sensor so the light automatically comes on when you enter with arms full from any of three entrances...)
Old 02-13-2003, 04:36 AM

when you turn on defrost and turn up the fan, the A/C comes on automatically. At that point you have the option of turning it off by tapping the button.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2ktaxi
[B]
Thanks! This feature really annoys me on my RSX and on the CRV - but by turning off this feature, will it still automatically come on?

Quick Reply: Turn off A/C when in defrost-mode