S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cargo Net for Trunk Side Wells? Anyone?

Old 05-30-2003, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cargo Net for Trunk Side Wells? Anyone?

i've tried the search -- didn't see much out there, so i'm asking...

does anyone have a setup using some type of cargo net to hold items in a side well vs the oem setup w/ the cargo net over the tool well?

i've got a lot of junk i have to ferry to and from work daily (hardhat, FRC, case, etc.), and i'd rather have them secured in the side well (vs throwing them in the tool well) due to audio gear in the trunk...

any experience? ideas? photos?

thanks...
Old 05-30-2003, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three ideas. I'd run 'em all past hardtopguy. This concept appeals to me

1. The S2000 trunk net, which normally covers the sunken middle area and comes with hardware, might be the right size to do what you are suggesting. Knowing where it's safe to attach the hooks is perhaps tricky.

2. If that doesn't work, there just be some trunk net for some Honda that will either fit or can be modified to fit on the sides.

3. Put a net running across the trunk next to the back of the car. It should take up no room unless something is in it. Again, there is probably a Honda net for some vehicle that will fit.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:05 AM

i was thinking that the oem S2000 net might be slightly too long for this application. though, for the money that handa accessories wants for them - i'd be willing to give it a try. if nothing else, i get the S2000 mounts. i don't want to put a net on the back wall either (though the S2000 net instructions show how to do that) b/c of an amp rack that's currently in the well. the attachment of the hooks looks to be easy, as they are designed to replace the plugs that the retaining clips normally use.. (install instructions) so, i'm thinking properly relocating them won't be much of an issue.

i'll give hardtopguy a PM and see what he thinks.... my local dealership seems leary of doing anything non-standard... *shrug* but then it could be i'm just talking to the straight lace types there... i'm going to give them a buzz on it too...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crabby Guy
[B]Three ideas.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:39 AM

I have the OEM net. Do you want dimensions stretched and unstretched?
Old 05-31-2003, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crabby Guy
[B]I have the OEM net.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:33 PM

Unstretched, measured from the attachment loops, the net is:

26" X 15 1/2" and the part you could grab onto is in the middle of the longer sides. (Mine has been stretched out for three months, however.)

Stretched across the "pit" in the trunk, measured the same way, it's:

24 1/2" X 18". (Attached here, it becomes more square, with the shorter dimension increasing and the longer one decreasing.)

It looks like you could put the shorter dimension of the net across a side well, although you would have to attach the fasteners in a place currently without a hole. If you wanted to have the net arranged to be open at the top and unattached at the bottom, you could just wind the excess net around one side piece and put this part toward the fender--it's not readily visible. If you wanted to attach it top and bottom as well, a black bungie across the bottom looks like it might do the job. (This is not rocket science.)

There is another net made for the S2000, BTW, intended to go between the seat back and the loops where you would normally attach an OEM seat back pocket. It's an Australian product and visible on Link, under Utility Net. However, it is possibly just another fitting of the same net we have available in the US.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the measurements and the linkage...

the OEM net definitely sounds like something that would work for what i need... for the $40 it will cost me, i think i'm going to give it a shot...

mounting looks easy as long as you use stock clip holes... based on the HandA site -- it looks like you just widen the stock clip holes a bit and screw in the hook.

correct me if my thinking is flawed... my initial thoughts were to use the left well in the trunk and mount the hooks in the upper front clip, lower front floor clip, lower floor rear clip, upper rear clip and put one clip in the middle on the lower of the farthest clips in the left well... thus creating like a 5 point basket... top clips would hold one top corner each, floor clips hold middle points, and farthest left clip holding two loops from the bottom... thus creating sort of a 5 point basket...

the Au setup looks interesting... the net looks slightly smaller to me -- anyone from down there have one of these??
Old 06-03-2003, 10:18 AM

well, i just ordered one from hardtopguy for a lot less than $40... thanks Crabby Guy for the help, and i'll update as i go...

don't have an eta as yet, but i'll post pics and info when i get it... hopefully i can make this thing fit...

for hardtopguy for quick service, know how, etc.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:23 PM

installed and it seems to fit my needs exactly. i hope this helps anyone who might be interested in doing this...

thanks to hardtopguy for helping make this happen... and for a great price and great service on the net... and thanks to Crabby Guy for giving me the measurements to let me verify it in advance.

i'd be happy to assist anyone who was interested in doing the same...

Side Well config 1

Side Well config 1 loaded

Side Well config 2 (long objects)

Side Well config 2 loaded (long objects)
Old 06-16-2003, 06:07 AM

how do you close your trunk with that big yellow box there...

Quick Reply: Cargo Net for Trunk Side Wells? Anyone?