S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Speed Craft Installed. . . Problems

Old 10-11-2003, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Craft Installed. . . Problems

Well, I finally drove my car home today, but it was very nerve-racking to say the least.

I do have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone would be able to give me some insight on.

1. My car is throwing a check engine light for a secondary air sensor (?) I have no idea why this light is on, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight on this. I will try and take digi pics of my hose routing tomorrow, but if anyone has something they want me to picture specifically, let me know.

2. The car wants to stall bad on idle. The clutch/flywheel/pp is still the stock one. Let's say the car is running for 20 seconds, revs will drop to ~500 rpm and finally catch.
Also there is major bogging at less than 3,000 rpm after driving the car more than 10 min. I have what I believe to be an 11 psi map loaded in via eManage, running 4 psi boost on the wastegate until tuning Monday morning. Could the severe hesitation be linked to overly rich conditions, leading to fouling of spark plugs?

3. My emanage refuses to connect with my computer, otherwise I would load the 4 psi map on to the car. Yes the USB connections were checked, still it says no communication with main unit.

Thanks for any and all help/advice given.

Jason
Old 10-11-2003, 11:29 PM

I may get flamed for this, but...

Ditch the e-manage. Get the AEM EMS.

If you've spent big $ on the turbo kit, spend more and get the better computer, and get it tuned.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:48 AM

on stock S2000's, there is a vacuum hose that goes from the factory airbox to a white valve and then to a vacuum distributor thingy to the secondary air pump. i dunno if you use this valve on your speedcraft turbo intake, but if you do, you might have the valve on backwards. xviper has a thread on this for people that have aftermarket CAI's. Yes I realise you have a turbo setup and not an aftermarket CAI but I figure you still have to connect these vacuum hoses to somewhere so they can get fresh air.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:11 AM

yup yup....it's a hose with a small white cylinder-type valve in its track. That hose and another one that's coming from the same unit. Trace that hose back and you'll find both hoses coming from that sensor thingy.

If it's hesitating, it could just be that it's overly rich.

The stalling....dunno...possibly the vacuum hose that u are talking about.

You e-manage will connect with your computer. If it doesn't, then either u are using a USB to USB (which is a big no-no) instead of USB to THEIR serial. Or, goto options---->COM ports...then select different com. ports until one of them works. One of them HAS to work.

Before you get it tuned, I suggest getting new plugs. It changes everything around.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:21 AM

I do agree that in the long run a AEM EMS is your best option. When I first got my turbo installed it was bogging also and after I got my wideband setup I found I was running very rich (9:1 at times). If you don't have a wideband I would pull your plugs and see if they are fouled. You should also be able to smell the fuel in the exhaust if you are running very rich. I would keep the car below 5000rpm until you get it tuned properly to be safe.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:22 PM

Kane and squeezer, I'm very amazed that both of you were able to pinpoint my problems EXACTLY. Thank you for both of your help. I'm going to go fiddle with the car some more.

Jason
Old 10-12-2003, 04:14 PM

The saga continues. . . my car for some reason won't go into boost. Of course I did the obvious and checked all the IC piping. The only thing I did notice was that the wastegate seems to be sticking open. At idle, the dump tube for my wastegate is emitting exhaust. Is this normal? Is there any reason the wastegate would be sticking open? I do have the Greddy E-01 plumbed into the nipple on top, but the side nipple for boost from the compressor isn't going through the boost controller. BTW it's a Tial 46mm WG from the Speed-craft kit. Thanks for any and all help.

Jason
Old 10-12-2003, 04:22 PM

Do you have the MAP sensor voltage cut set?
Old 10-12-2003, 05:03 PM

How would that affect the WG from opening? The sole reason the wastegate opens/shuts is from the vacuum/boost reading from the turbo IIRC. Fperra was kind enough to load one of his maps into my car, and I think he is running a voltage clamp to hide boost from the map signal.

Jason
Old 10-12-2003, 06:29 PM

Well I thought the same thing you did that I wasnt getting any boost because the car would just feel like normal or less power when I should have been at full boost. I found that I forgot to set my voltage clamp on the emanage and everything was fine after that.

Quick Reply: Speed Craft Installed. . . Problems