S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM UEGO Install (w/AEM EMS)

Old 01-14-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM UEGO Install (w/AEM EMS)

In conjunction with installing the AEM EMS I also installed the AEM UEGO. First, my AEM EMS and the AEM UEGO controller were separate. You may want to consider buying the AEM EMS with the AEM UEGO controller built into the AEM EMS. Although, I'm not sure if it's available for the S2000 (1012) box. But if you're like me and have a standalone AEM UEGO here's what I did...

First, I removed the OEM sensor from the car, and installed the AEM sensor. (Just FYI, you want to remove the primary sensor. The one farthest to the front of the car, and not the one in the catallitic converter (sp?)). I then zip-tied the AEM sensor cables and connector to the same locations as the OEM sensor. [1] is the routing of the cable. And [2] is where I zip-tied to the OEM cable routing block.

Next, I removed the remaining OEM sensor connector, and sealed it up in case I ever want to use it again. I wasn't sure what was a good thing to use to seal up the OEM connector, so I used some contact cement, and electrical tape... Any better ideas? Maybe some dielectric grease (just didn't have any). Then, routed the cables up along the OEM cables up into the engine bay to just below the master brake cylinder. [1] is the new AEM connector. [2] is the sealed OEM. [3] is the cable zip-tied to the OEM cables going to the engine bay.

After that, I tucked in the AEM UEGO controller below the clutch master cylinder.

I then routed the power and sensor cables into the cabin near the ECM. The next thing is the controller needs a switched 12V source and a ground. I was originally going to use the optional output on the fuse box, but there are a bunch of motors connected to that source. From the AEM forums it seems that the AEM UEGO is sensitive to power, and the AEM EMS heater controller output was said to not support enough current for the UEGO. So... I decided to use the AEM recommendation and run the power directly from the battery to ensure clean power, and to not use chasis ground. I ran two 18 gauge cables directly from the battery into the cabin near the ECM.

To supply power to the UEGO I used a standard 12V automotive relay you can pick up at any auto parts store. I decided to switch the relay using the optional output on the fuse box (the same I used for my radar detector). I just routed the ground of the relay to the chasis. FYI, had I thought of it then I would have controlled the relay from the EMS heater controller output, but that would require a modification to the factory ECM harness.

Here's where I wired the relay control to the fuse box with a blade connector.

I wired the negative terminal cable to the UEGO controller black wire. I connected the positive terminal cable to the relay. I connected the UEGO controller red wire to the relay.

Here's a picture of the relay with connections made. [1] is the relay. [2] is the power from the battery. [3] is the UEGO controller wires.

Next, I connected the orange cable (0-5V sensor signal) from the UEGO controller to the pin 16 of the C connector on the EMS. This requires you to cut the cable on the ECM wiring harness.

In the end you should only have wired 3 connections from the UEGO controller. The red wire for power, the black wire for ground, and the orange wire for the sensor signal. Specifically *do not* connect the sensor ground. The instructions specifically state against this with using AEM EMS. Supposedly it screws up the sensor signals in the entire AEM EMS.

Next calibrate the sensor following the instructions in the AEM EMS and AEM UEGO manuals. Basically, you do the following:
1) Unplug the AEM sensor from underneath the car for it to use the calibration resistor.
2) Turn the ignition to on.
3) Connect your AEMPros software and maps.
4) View the O2#1 Volts in the EMS, and see what it reads. It should be in the neighborhood of 4V.
5) Adjust the gain under [Setup -> Sensors -> Oxygen Sensor -> Oxygen Sensor #1 -> Options] until the volts reads as close to 4V as possible. At this point the EMS is calibrated to your sensor.
6) Plug your AEM sensor back in underneath the car.

That's it. The #1 issues with AEM UEGO from the AEM forums seems to be related to how the installer wired power and ground to the UEGO, and wiring the signal ground (explictly told not to in manual). I recommend using a relay and going straight to the battery to avoid a lot of the troubles others have had.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:29 AM

Thanks again gary
How is tuning going?
Where did you install the display?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:14 AM

So far it's idling, and I've rev'ed it up to about 5k. I'm still working on some crude base maps until I can get further tuning done next week.

I'm not using the AEM UEGO display. I'm running one of the gauge tech displays (http://www.gauge-tech.com) that will output any of the parameters from the EMS. I'm hoping to take it apart and fit it in the radio cover. I'm still waiting for the display to arrive.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

thanks for sharing gary, I'll be hitting mine next month probably

I'm adding this to the how-to thread.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:45 AM

thank you very much for this post - given all the issues with wiring this thing, the instructions that came with the UEGO were lacking, at best.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The UEGO orange wire goes to 16 pin of the C connector. If you don't have a Helms electrical manual you may end up like me scratching your head and wondering just what to do next. Well, I contacted several people that confirmed the correct wire is the all white wire in the middle row of that C connector. The C connector is the blue plug that goes into the ECU.

The one with the red flag, 6th one down or 7th one up in the connector pictured.
This picture shows the wire from it's orgin. Thanks to Modifry for the final word.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:20 AM

Thanks Sideways. Here is the helms manual pin out for the blue C connector, but I think your visual is better.

Old 03-14-2004, 04:51 PM

BTW if you have an UEGO with the gauge
-the red and black wires are the same
-the white wires goes to the #16 pin
Old 03-15-2004, 05:00 AM

note to self - when testing the relay with a multi-meter, don't short the switch connections to the carrier signal. No major damage, but a visit to the Helm's manual to determine which fuse is associated to the "option connector". its #23
Old 03-15-2004, 05:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sideways
The UEGO orange wire goes to 16 pin of the C connector.

Quick Reply: AEM UEGO Install (w/AEM EMS)