S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2004 Stock Legal Wheels Update

Old 03-13-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally found a set of wheels that is stock class legal for the '04, fit the car, don't weight too much, and didn't cost me too much. As you shall see below, ease of finding them and concours quality appearance ranked low on my list of priorities

As has been mentioned before, OEM wheels for the '04 are 17x7 +55 front, 17x8.5 +65 rear, reported weights are 17.7 and 20.5lbs.

Anyway, here's the dirt on everything I got and weights from my trusty bathroom scale:

Front:
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1
17x7 +50
~15.5-16lbs (specs say 15.8)

Rear:
Acura NSX OEM 1994-2001
17x8.5 +60
20lbs (specs say 20.5)

Notes:

-Everything fits! I was worried about caliper clearance, but the Team Dynamics rims have caliper clearance out the wazoo! I think they were designed for FWD touring cars with huge brakes- the spokes are so thin I could stick my whole thumb between them and the caliper. For the rear, the NSX has the same centerbores as the S2000 (70mm F, 64mm R), so they fit fine too.

-You will need new taper-seat lugnuts for the T-D wheels, but the NSX wheels use the same funky rounded-seat lugnuts that Honda loves so much.

-Net weight should be ~2lbs lighter each front, same as stock rear.

-Offsets are legal, but may cause fender clearance issues for those who want to run 245s front or 275s rear in the big oversized DOT-Rs like the A3S04 and V710. NSX rims are supposedly forged and have a pretty beefy hub area, so possibly could be machined down but I dunno.

-Looks are gonna be a bit mismatched, but hey they are functional. The used NSX rims I picked up were originally the light gunmetal color, but the front faces were polished. I could paint them, but I don't think I'm going to bother since the Team Dynamics silver is kind of liquid-shiny. For those who are bothered by this, the Team Dynamics comes in black and you can powdercoat the rears for an invisible set of ugly wheels Yes I will post pics as soon as I get tires mounted and put everything on the car.

-I spent about 6 hours driving today to pick these up, but excellent service from both places made it worth the drive. I ordered the T-D fronts from Tire & Wheel World in Salinas, CA. Mike Spencer (831)422-2211 was totally on top of everything, super responsive on the phone and delivered everything as promised. I got the NSX wheels from HAP Recycling in Rancho Cordova (Sac) and Matt Smith (800)999-9499 was super helpful as well. Supposedly they have 2 more wheels in stock just like the ones I bought. 2 hrs rnd trip to Salinas, 4 hrs rnd trip to Sac, phew! With gas prices as they are it probably would have been cheaper to ship them, but at least for the fronts I wanted to test fit them.

-Cost was $150/wheel plus freight and tax for the T-Ds, $150/wheel plus tax for the NSXs, total $600 and change.

I suppose this info will be useless once OEM wheels become plentiful, but for anyone who needs something now and is on a budget, this should work.

Peter
Old 03-16-2004, 11:29 PM

Got the Kumhos mounted today- 225/255 Victos

Pics:

Pretty street wheels:

Ugly wheels:

Peter
Old 03-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Well *I* think they look nice.

-Sean
Old 07-16-2004, 10:38 AM

Did you weigh those Team Dynamics? I was thinking a set of those would be nice. Do they have something to fit the rear?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:08 AM

Yup- just under 16lbs on my bathroom scale. Pretty much agrees with the published weight of 15.8lbs.

Unfortunately they don't make anything that would be stock legal for the rear. Their widest 17 is a 7.5 and that's not even available in the Pro Race series. I think they mostly cater to FWD cars.

They are nice wheels though, I haven't had any problems with them.

Peter
Old 07-16-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by PoweredByCamry,Jul 16 2004, 11:08 AM
Yup- just under 16lbs on my bathroom scale. Pretty much agrees with the published weight of 15.8lbs.

Unfortunately they don't make anything that would be stock legal for the rear. Their widest 17 is a 7.5 and that's not even available in the Pro Race series. I think they mostly cater to FWD cars.

They are nice wheels though, I haven't had any problems with them.

Peter
Oh,

I'm not worried about staying within SCCA stock class. They got a 17x8 too, will that not fit the rear?
Old 07-16-2004, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by darrenfoo,Jul 16 2004, 02:17 PM
Oh,

I'm not worried about staying within SCCA stock class. They got a 17x8 too, will that not fit the rear?
They do? Not in that drilling I don't think. Take a look at the usa website for Team Dynamics at:

http://www.teamdynamicsusa.com

Peter
Old 10-12-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since Peter's search, some new options have appeared. First is the SSR GT7, which was the result of a cooperative effort between the Tire Rack and SSR to make stock legal wheels for the S2000.

Front: 17x7, +50mm offset (I think), 16.3 Lbs.
Rear: 17x8.5, +62mm offset, 17.6 Lbs.

Next is the Kosei K1-TS, only available as a front wheel for the S2000. Jim at Tire Rack says they fit.

Front: 17x7, +50mm offset, 13.7 Lbs.

I'll be getting a pair of GT7 for the rear, and K1-TS for the front. I will follow up here if I have any problems.

I can corroborate the stock wheel weights that Peter listed. My measurements were:

Stock front wheel: 17.75 Lbs
Stock rear wheel: 20.6 Lbs

I used a bathroom scale with 1 pound resolution. I weighed two tires or wheels at a time, to give 1/2 pound resolution on each individual wheel. I had two different sets of tires which I weighed loose, then mounted to the stock wheels. I subtracted to get the weight of the wheels, then averaged the result for the two different sets of tires. The approximate uncertainty in the above numbers is +/- 1/3 of a pound.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:31 AM

Are those K1-TS wheels hubcentric for the S2k?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:10 AM

I don't think any aftermarket wheels are made hubcentric for any car. They usually have a huge centerbore and then use those plastic centering rings to achieve their hubcentricity. TireRack sends you the appropriate ring if you tell them what your application is.

Peter

Quick Reply: 2004 Stock Legal Wheels Update