S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cheap And Quick Fix For Wear Top Holes!

Old 07-19-2004, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap And Quick Fix For Wear Top Holes!

Well I don't have the holes but I do see wear marks in alot of s2ks along with mine. The only solution is of course wait it out for them to be holes or if they are holes then get a new top. Well heres a quick fix I tested out for a few days and works great!! It will only take about 3 min and doesn't involve tape which peels off or something else which can come off easy.
Get a shirt and cut off lil squares near the thickest parts, probably the neck area or bottom. Once you do this get some silicone sealer (for sale $3.99 at any auto parts stores) sticky black stuff which aderes hard to anything!! Apply a fair amount on the small black part you cut out and stick it dead center. The square should now cover any potential area and affected area and won't come off even in high heat. Works for me so go ahead and try it. Post in the thread if it works
Old 07-19-2004, 06:18 PM

Just tried ripping em off and those things aren't coming off unless your tugging helllllla hard and then its still pretty hard!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:28 PM

I just checked today and I have the wear marks too!

I'm going to try your fix tomorrow. I was thinking of using hot glue, but I'm concerned that the summer heat may make the hot glue soft and cause more problems than I started with. I'm going to try the silicone sealant and see how that works.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-19-2004, 06:51 PM

yeh remember get that sucker on the fabric fast and stick it on fast. The silicon dries very fast! Its messy if you're not careful so be very steady Mine are perfect No more fears of holes or wearing anymore!!
Old 07-19-2004, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by allkingz,Jul 19 2004, 08:28 PM
I just checked today and I have the wear marks too!

I'm going to try your fix tomorrow. I was thinking of using hot glue, but I'm concerned that the summer heat may make the hot glue soft and cause more problems than I started with. I'm going to try the silicone sealant and see how that works.

Thanks for the tip!
I think SilverKnight's recommendation of a silicone adhesive is a better idea. I've never been very impressed with hot glue. I'd also be concerned about how flexible hot glue remains after it sets. Glueing part of your top and making it stiff as a 2x4 doesn't sound like a good idea to me!

As an alternative to simple silicone, I'd recommend a product called "Shoe Goop." It's tough as nails and maintains it flexibility after it's set.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Jul 19 2004, 07:02 PM
I think SilverKnight's recommendation of a silicone adhesive is a better idea. I've never been very impressed with hot glue. I'd also be concerned about how flexible hot glue remains after it sets. Glueing part of your top and making it stiff as a 2x4 doesn't sound like a good idea to me!

As an alternative to simple silicone, I'd recommend a product called "Shoe Goop." It's tough as nails and maintains it flexibility after it's set.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
I think the key is using the right amount of adhesive. I would think too much of any adhesive will make it incredibly stiff.

I have some extra vinyl laying around, so I cut a few squares to do a test using hot glue. Using a small amount held incredibly well and was still pretty flexible. Again, my main concern is how the hot glue would hold up in very hot weather.

I think tomorrow I'll do another test with a few squares of vinyl and silicone sealant and see how it compares to the hot glue. If I can find some "Shoe Goop" I'll test that too.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Jul 19 2004, 02:52 PM
Well I don't have the holes but I do see wear marks in alot of s2ks along with mine. The only solution is of course wait it out for them to be holes or if they are holes then get a new top. Well heres a quick fix I tested out for a few days and works great!! It will only take about 3 min and doesn't involve tape which peels off or something else which can come off easy.
Get a shirt and cut off lil squares near the thickest parts, probably the neck area or bottom. Once you do this get some silicone sealer (for sale $3.99 at any auto parts stores) sticky black stuff which aderes hard to anything!! Apply a fair amount on the small black part you cut out and stick it dead center. The square should now cover any potential area and affected area and won't come off even in high heat. Works for me so go ahead and try it. Post in the thread if it works
By the way, what size patch did you use?
Old 07-19-2004, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by allkingz,Jul 19 2004, 10:07 PM
I think the key is using the right amount of adhesive. I would think too much of any adhesive will make it incredibly stiff.

I have some extra vinyl laying around, so I cut a few squares to do a test using hot glue. Using a small amount held incredibly well and was still pretty flexible. Again, my main concern is how the hot glue would hold up in very hot weather.

I think tomorrow I'll do another test with a few squares of vinyl and silicone sealant and see how it compares to the hot glue. If I can find some "Shoe Goop" I'll test that too.
Too much of anything is usually not good.

Testing is a good idea. Admittedly, I don't have a "lot" of personal experience with hot glue. The small amount I have used it for, it didn't work well for me but I might have been doing something wrong.

Shoe Goop is pretty common. I'd try the shoe department at Walmart or some place like that. I've found that it holds better than standard silicone.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:19 PM

The size I used was very small. It pretty much covers the area of that @@@!%$%#$# wear arc from the plastic and a lil extra. I don't care if it never comes off don't plan to. Its very flexible, and the next owner would be glad to have these on to since its that extra layer of protection. They are very hidden since the fabric is black and it is under near that plastic and triangle area. You REALLY have to look I'm sure there is other materials but so far this stuff has held up in our 80 degree + weather sunny and many folds. I just used the silicon because I use it all the time on otherstuff in the garage and it is readily available pretty much any auto place store. Good luck guys and let me know how this turns out! Honda probably won't ever help us so it is up to us to spread the word so peopel don't have to fork upt he extra $$$$ with this easy fix.