Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Trickle Chargers; Who, Where, How Much?

Old 07-20-2004, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle Chargers; Who, Where, How Much?

The holidays have come back to bite me in the ass and my S has suffered a few discharged batteries through a lack of use. I know the use of trickle chargers has been discussed previously, but I am too incompetent to use the search function to any effect, so i'll ask the questions again.

Who uses a trickle charger?
Who has a trickle charger (preferably 240V powered not solar) that plugs into the 12V accessory port rather than disconnecting the battery?
What brand?
What price from where?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:50 PM

I have one that I bought in KMart for about $50 that switches off when the battery reaches full charge, then on again when it loses a bit and so on. This is better than a trickle charger that continues to push current into your battery even when it's charged. That's not good for it. You can connect any charger through the accessory socket provided the current is not too much for the wiring. This shouldn't be a problem with the kind of charger designed to maintain charge rather than one of the big 8 Amp jobs. You will have to rewire the socket so that it is always connected to the battery. AusS2000 can tell you how. Be sure that there is a fuse in the circuit when you are done. You will also need to put an appropriate plug on the charger leads. You can get them at Dick Smith, Tandy or wherever. You don't need to disconnect the battery to use a normal charger by the way. I always just attach it, turn on the power and walk away. If you don't want to have to open the bonnet every time then the accessory socket connection is a good option but otherwise just clip it on and it will be fine.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:52 PM

We recently bought this:

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?...eMax=&SUBCATID=

it's only $79.95

Basically, it comes with a plug, and two clips that attach permanently to the positive and negative terminals of the car.

This plug pops out nicely just below the passenger side wiper blade.

The unit then plugs into this plug, and into the 240V mains. Basically you just plug it in and then leave it. It will keep the battery at full charge, will not overcharge, and actually stops charging (all automatically) unlike other items available from kmart, repco, and the like.

If you want to drive away, just unplug the unit and drive off. Come back home, replug the single plug back in.

It does not trickle charge (which damages the battery).

I'll take some pics later and upload.

wil..
Old 07-20-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a battery conditioner (one that charges when it needs it) in the rafters of my garage. I bought two M-F 12V auto extensions with coil leads and spliced them together. They hang from the ceiling and, with the help of some elasticated cord, hang above the roof in arms reach when I am parked.

The Power Socket is hot wired as per Modify's instructions.

When I park the car I reach up, grab the plug and pull it down and plug it in. No more flat batteries.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the quick replies fellas, so it looks like i'm going for a battery conditioner.

wilch: Do you find that charger powerful enough to keep your battery topped up? The reason I ask is that the equivalent 1.5A item from projecta is only rated for batteries up to 200CCA whereas my current battery is 350CCA

Aus: Did your charger come with the clamp connectors or the auto plug connectors, coz i'm wondering how to identify the positive and negative wires of the auto extensions?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by #69,Jul 21 2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the quick replies fellas, so it looks like i'm going for a battery conditioner.

wilch: Do you find that charger powerful enough to keep your battery topped up? The reason I ask is that the equivalent 1.5A item from projecta is only rated for batteries up to 200CCA whereas my current battery is 350CCA
Yep... Keeps it topped up easily. It would take a very long time to charge a dead battery however. (I wouldn't use it to charge a dead battery).

But as long as you plug it back in when you get home you should be fine.

The car has been sitting on full charge for a 3 weeks or so. Hasn't changed to "charging" since it was first plugged in.

The battery that is in the s2k is the stock Honda one.

wil..
Old 07-20-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Clamp connectors. Rather than removing the clamps and splicing into the leads I just used one of the cut off plugs and attached the red clamp to the red wire and the black to black.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jul 21 2004, 02:31 PM
Clamp connectors. Rather than removing the clamps and splicing into the leads I just used one of the cut off plugs and attached the red clamp to the red wire and the black to black.

Trust me to go about things the hard way, thanks for that tip Aus.

Thanks for the reply also wilch.

Now just gotta head out and pick one up.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:31 PM

The jaycar one doesn't require you to cut anything up or mess with any of the wiring. It's hard to explain, but it's really "clean" in the way it is made. There is even a fuse included in the wiring that is included with the unit.

It also comes with the standard jumper lead style attachments.

wil..
Old 07-20-2004, 10:49 PM

Here are some pics of the Battery Fighter installed and in use.

Here's the little unit.

This is that "plug" i was talking about.
When you unplug the unit there is a lid that covers the end that stays with the car.

...and what it looks like from inside the engine bay.

note the fuse on the positive wire.

It's pretty much plug in and forget.

wil..

Quick Reply: Trickle Chargers; Who, Where, How Much?