S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loss of power! Please help!

Old 10-29-2004, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power! Please help!

It's been 2 months since i brought my s2k, which has a problem ;
My car is 2001 S2000 , let me explain what i did to try solve the problem;
Mechanics from 3 different countries contacted,
-2 Diagnostics checks in different computers,no problems found
-New Iridium spark plugs,
-Injectors got cleaned,
-Valve adjustments,
-100 octanes 5 star unleaded used all the time,
-Reseting the ECU many times,
Non of these solved the problem.
Let me explain the problem now, i dont know if its electrical of mechanic ,
my car , not all the time, sometimes loose power and it gets hard to drive, hard to accelerate, no performance at all, feels like your driving an old cabrio, than its back to normal again. When it does this the response to the gas pedal dies, the torque, the bhp, everything goes down, the car does this for a while, than its back to normal again, the superb s2000. I'm thinking of selling it bcoz of this problem, cant drive it like this, but i love the car and dont wanna sell it, so people please please help me to solve this! what might this be? ??? Note: the problem decreased a little bit when i started to use high quality unleaded petrol. Please help me
Old 10-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Banned

is it in vtec or everywhere in the rev-range......some simple things not to overlook are to make sure it has 3 bars on the temp gauge (though you should know that by now) or try doing the "MAP whack" with the map sensor, if you dont know how do a search on "MAP whack" and youll find it. It may not cure the problem but it is a very simple and easy thing to do.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthCyprus,Oct 29 2004, 05:26 PM
Note: the problem decreased a little bit when i started to use high quality unleaded petrol. Please help me
What gas did you previously use? You should always use Premium fuel (91+ octane, I believe). Otherwise, you're probably getting detonation/knock due to the high compression engine. When the engine sees knock, it retards timing and possibly runs rich which will cause you to lose mucho power.

If you are using high octane fuel and still seeing the problem, I'd say try the MAP whack (see the FAQ for the "very technical procedure").
Old 10-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Banned

I just assumed after all that other stuff he tried/went through this wouldnt be a possibility lol...
Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 PM

Oops... I just went back and read that he had already done 100octane and still saw the problem.

I've got to learn to read better. In that case, I'd say that he should definitely try the MAP whack.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 29 2004, 02:41 PM
Oops... I just went back and read that he had already done 100octane and still saw the problem.

I've got to learn to read better. In that case, I'd say that he should definitely try the MAP whack.
Im still curious to hear when he responds if this is happening through the entire rev-range, or just in vtec. If it is just in vtec it certainly sounds like a temperature or MAP sensor issue.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:37 PM

Maybe he is describing heat bog?

JeffA
Old 10-29-2004, 03:49 PM

Heat bog can do that to some degree.

Do you have a CAI? If so, the filter can become saturated with water and cause problems short of hydrolock.

FWIW, I just had a problem with an electrical short that disabled the CO2 sensors. With them not working the air fuel ratio went whacky and VETC was no longer a kick in the pants.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is the MAP sensor. My '01 used to do the same thing. I'd have to take a plastic-handled screwdriver and hit it with the plastic end, fairly gently... but with more force than a "tap."
Old 10-29-2004, 04:19 PM

I had a similar thing happen and the "map whack" appeared to clear it, but that was only because the ECU was being reset each time. Turned out to be the vacuum control valve (its name was something like that anyway). The fault was only intermitent, but replacing that removed the problem totally.

Quick Reply: Loss of power! Please help!