S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The CG-Lock! What a sweet product!

Old 12-18-2004, 03:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The CG-Lock! What a sweet product!

This it the perfect gift for that cone dodger/driving enthusiast in your life

The product: The CG-Lock http://marketplace.s2ki.com/s2ki/product.p...55&cat=0&page=1

The idea: The CG-Lock is a simple device that attaches to your stock seat belts and cinches down your lap belt. Your lap belt then holds you into place and lets you concentrate more on your driving and things like looking ahead and better control of the car instead of bracing yourself. This mods improves the performance of the driver which improves the performance of the car which hand and hand drops the drivers lap times. All that for only under 40 lousy dollars. Sounds nifty right?

Background Story: Last weekend, the 11th and 12th was our last 2 autocross events of the season. I knew I had to do well and win B-stock both days to have a shot at winning the class in season points.

Rewind to Last Thurs the 9th: In order to win, I had to take first at both events and my competition had to do worst than 2nd. I wanted to increase my chances of getting first so I started looking for little basterd things that might give me a little edge on the competition. I was browsing through the s2ki marketplace and noticed the cg-lock.
http://marketplace.s2ki.com/s2ki/product.p...55&cat=0&page=1
CG-Lock allows you to hold your street car's lap belt "racing harness tight." It attaches to a standard factory installed 3-point seatbelt in one minute with no holes. It is easily removable and can be used in multiple cars.
The CG-Lock attaches to the tongue of your daily driver's existing 3-point, factory installed seat belt. Once installed, pulling up on the shoulder belt tightens the lap belt portion "racing harness tight" - keeping it as tight as you want until you release it. The shoulder harness remains unrestrained as normal for maximum arm and upper body movement.

By providing you with about 80% of the holding power of a full racing harness, the CG-Lock (the "CG" stands for "Center of Gravity") prevents you from sliding in your seat. The CG-Lock lets you keep your feet and hands light on the pedals and wheel resulting in better control, faster reactions, and less fatigue. Becoming "one with the vehicle" helps you feel the road and the car's "balance", enhancing your driving abilities.
I remember JP (ludedude) saying it was great at a track day streets of willlow a while back. Luckily JP is local for me so I called him up and asked him about it. He said he had some in stock here in LV and that I am more than welcome to come over and check his out. I finished running my errands and such and headed over to his place. I started toying with it and found it to be very simple and it seemed like it worked well. I decided to treat myself to an early Christmas gift and told him I'd take one. After my gold membership discount it was only 35 bucks so even if I didn't like it wouldn't be a big lose.

Installation: I went home and put it in. The installation is beyond simple. It attaches to the back of your belt buckle using to allen screws.

Then it has a clip that goes over your belt and holds it into place.

You put that clip on by putting it over the belt and sliding it onto the cg-lock while pushing down the lever on the side so it looks likes this...

Then buckle up like normal while holding the adjustment lever on the side of the buckle...

pull on your shoulder belt...

and you are ready to go! This tightens the lap belt down and the cg-lock keeps it from coming lose effectively holding you in place for any type of performance driving you will be doing. The best part about this is when your not autocrossing or at the track all you do is pop the clip off the top by holding down the lever on the side and pulling on the clip and your seat belt goes to normal operation.

Initial feel: After I put it on I decided to sneak out take a drive. Instantly you find yourself having a better feel for what the car is doing. I guess you could say you feel more at one with the car. This feeling makes you a little more comfortable with pushing the car. I did a little spirited driving but nothing crazy since I was still on public streets and my area of town is filled with cops that really have nothing better to do than traffic enforcement. I called a buddy and told him about it and he liked the idea so he called up JP and picked one up for himself also.

At the autocross: WHAT A WONDERFUL DIFFERENCE! I no longer had to brace myself with my left leg on the dead pedal and being held in place let me concentrate much more on actually driving the car then holding myself in place. That alone let me cut off quite a bit of time and made it so I was setting the pace instead of playing catch-up after the first 2 runs.

The s2k has always been a car that communicates well but "being one with the car" (I know is sounds cheesy hehe) really takes this communication to the next level. You have a little more warning when the car wants to come around or the front end doesn't want to bite. Since you feel it earlier you have a little more time to correct it. Since your correcting it earlier you aren't losing as much time as your normally would have by going over the limit, making it so your run is still salvageable.

I was in the lead the whole day so I was taking passengers along. There were a few friends of mine that came out and I wanted to get them hooked. As the day went on my competition started to get a little closer. My last run of the day I ditched the extra weight and found another second or so that I didn't have the whole day hehe.

At the end of day one I finished 1.7 secs ahead of the rest of the class knowing that I could've went even faster as I knew there were 1 or 2 places on the course I could've pushed more with my new found control and highrt comfort level when pushing the car since I had a little more warning than usual.

Fast Forward to day 2: I went in with the mindset that I was ready to push a little the car a tad quicker than I normally would. This led to great results early on. It let me take a very nice early lead which took some pressure on me and more pressure on the competition. I ended up pulling out another win that day.

Thanks to my buddy Ray Berlo for taking these 2 pics

Overall I'd say it's probably the one of best mod I've purchased for this car and at under 40 bucks it is the best "bang for the buck." It doesn't matter if your an autocrosser, a track junky, or just your weekend warrior who likes to tackle your local curvy road, if you like to drive fast you must have this mod!

My other mods include:
Voodoo Ti Shift Knob
Spugen Exhaust
ATE Super Blue Brake fluid
Cobalt GT-Sport Brakes Pads (for those special high performance driving days )
Modifry's Glove Box Organizer (the other best bang for the buck for this car)

This mod outclasses any of the above mods, Like I said in the title it's the perfect gift for that cone dodger/driving enthusiast in your life

I'd also recommend ordering it from Go Fast Lab (the s2ki marketplace) JP and Rylan have always been a pleasure to deal with, very fast shipping, and they have always had incredible customer service and communication. Not to mention you get a discount with your s2ki membership!

Karim
Old 12-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 12-20-2004, 01:14 AM

interesting but wouldnt it make it too tight no?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you pull it as tight as you want it. and it stays there.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

SO did you take 1st place in the class Karim? Congrats!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by iwant2byS2k,Dec 20 2004, 02:14 AM
interesting but wouldnt it make it too tight no?
Nope, you can make it as tight as you want and it remains that way. If you want it looser you can adjust it at any time or remove it completely. It only gets as tight as you make it, no more, no less.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Former Moderator

As stated above, you only make the belt as tight as you want and if you make it too tight just hit the tab on the side it will let you losen it.

Ryan, yes I did take first for the season. It was a very close race but I ended up winning by the narrow margin of 2 points. I would hang my head in shame if the boxster beat me! j/k
Old 06-16-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

All the posts on this product endorsing it that I've read were posted by autoX'ers. Is there any safety issues with using it at a track?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:34 AM

It takes 30 seconds to install and is worth every run
Old 06-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jun 16 2005, 08:31 AM
All the posts on this product endorsing it that I've read were posted by autoX'ers. Is there any safety issues with using it at a track?
Hi Dave,

I've used it for track days and there's no issue with it. Seatbelts are released in the usual manner, with no awkwardness etc., so exit from the car is unimpeded. The only thing that might be a potential concern is that the effective height of the seatbelt tongue is now a few inches (1 or 2) higher than it was because the device attaches on the end of the tongue.

I don't know of any organization that prevents the use of the CG-Lock.

Quick Reply: The CG-Lock! What a sweet product!