Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Bypass throttle body coolant?

Old 08-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass throttle body coolant?

Has anyone here tried this?

Hondassport, could you please post a pic or two to describe? I'd like to post a thread in the "one stop shop" and do this mod myself.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I have my coolant blocked to the intake manifold, piece of cake to do, I will take pics and post later today. Have errands to run now.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:51 AM

Here is what I did to block coolant to intake manifold, cost was less than a dollar

1: went to local hardware store and purchased two 3/8 steel balls I think they are chromed.
2:
I removed one end of the hose marked with a arrow, inserted one 3/8 ball, reconnected the hose,

3:
removed right end of this indicated hose, inserted one 3/8 steel ball.reconnected hose. Job done Piece of cake. I did this with engine cold and lost no coolant, I would not try this with engine hot. I have no hot stumble even on 100 deg days with AC on. The balls will be removed when winter arrives. It also helps to have one of these.

Try it you will like it Pete
Old 08-06-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pete!!
Old 08-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking Good and thanks for the info. Think I'm going to give it a try..

Now... I know I'm a complete idiot, so please help me better undertstand what this does.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:37 PM

This reduces the Intake Air Temperature somewhat like the Hondata intake gasket which blocks the flow of coolant to the intake manifold, now I realize the Hondata gasket also insulates the intake manifold from the heat from the head which this will not do.
Anytime you reduce IAT you increase engine efficiency, thats why people install cold air intakes this helps keep that air cold.There is more oxygen in cool dense air than in hot air.this also allows the ECU to leave more timing and fuel in the engine thus increasing HP and TQ. Lower IAT also increase driveability, my car doesn't suffer from the dreaded hot bog even on a 102 deg. day with AC on high.Try it, see if your car doesn't run better, it takes 5 minutes and less than a dollar to perform.Just don't forget to remove your balls when the wx turns cold

P.s. I got my balls at Schneider Hdwy. in old town ST. Peters.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:48 PM

Mike
The more I think abt. it , it would be interesting to check IAT before and after this mod which I didn't do, it only takes a few minutes to hook a OBD-II tester and check temps. If you are interested in doing this let me know.
Pete
Old 08-07-2005, 06:04 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Hondassport,Aug 6 2005, 08:48 PM
Mike
The more I think abt. it , it would be interesting to check IAT before and after this mod which I didn't do, it only takes a few minutes to hook a OBD-II tester and check temps. If you are interested in doing this let me know.
Pete
Don't have the tester, but would like to see the comparison. I'm going to get the balls today and will give you a call later this afternoon. How abot a quick 30 minutes imprompto install day at your house?

Would the gains be even more since I already have a CAI installed?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:08 AM

This will compliment the CAI, I have the OBD-II tester but we are expecting family for dinner in 30 minutes. Let me know when you are available again.
Don't go to Schneider on Sunday they are old fashioned they let their employees off on Sunday..............Pete
Old 08-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Hondassport,Aug 7 2005, 01:08 PM
This will compliment the CAI, I have the OBD-II tester but we are expecting family for dinner in 30 minutes. Let me know when you are available again.
Don't go to Schneider on Sunday they are old fashioned they let their employees off on Sunday..............Pete
Figured Schneiders would be closed. Found bearings at True Value O'Fallon. Womping $.40 per. Bought six and am willing to share four if anyone else wants to do this mod.

I'm not available until Wednesday Will give you a buzz during the day.

Quick Reply: Bypass throttle body coolant?