S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

dust boots for coilovers...

Old 08-05-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dust boots for coilovers...

I have a delima. I tried using my old shocks dust boots. They fit on the shock perfectly, but when you put the springs on, well basically you can't put the springs on because the dust boots are too big.

Anybody know where I can find 4 dust boots that will fit underneath 58mm id springs or 2 1/4 inch. Length i say smaller then 150mm since my springs are 150mm in length.

Need them ASAP...

Thanks in advance...

hahaha real answer please, no comments about using condoms, saran wrap, plastic bag, etc...

EDIT: the dust covers i was using were from Tein RE, and the tein RE springs are 70mm id. so most of the tein dust covers would not work, unless they have other shocks that use 58mm id springs. i figure maybe some shocks that use 60mm id springs that those dust covers will work too. anybody?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:55 PM

I'm thinking these dust covers will be perfect. They fit under 60mm id springs and don't look too long. In the picture there looks to be more then 2mm on each side of cleareance.

Any other suggestions? Who in socal can get dust boots from Zeal ASAP?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:37 PM

PM J'sAP1 ... Chris is friends with the owner of AutoRnD, he might be able to get them for you or give you a contact number... I hope he doesn't mind me saying...
Old 08-05-2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by VeilsideAP1,Aug 5 2005, 02:37 PM
PM J'sAP1 ... Chris is friends with the owner of AutoRnD, he might be able to get them for you or give you a contact number... I hope he doesn't mind me saying...
thanks man... i just contacted him...
Old 08-05-2005, 02:43 PM

http://www.endlessusa.com/products/product...=596&cid=6&pg=1

i think this is what i need. there's a picture and a link to endless homepage.

i want to make sure if all zeal coilovers uses 60mm id springs. if so, this universal zeal dust cover should work.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:13 PM

one more thing, the tein shock body diameter is 50mm.

so the dust boot bottom ID must be 50mm and the outer diameter must be smaller then 58mm. the top hole on the dust boot must accomodate for the 14mm piston rod, but i can always cut the piston rod hole to make it bigger. just nothing bigger or it defeats the purpose of covering dust and debris as it will get through into the bigger hole.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JRZ's and Moton's don't bother with dust covers. Are you sure you need them?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:55 PM

i can use the shocks without them. but don't want the shocks to prematurely wear out. debris/dust/sand can get on the piston rod. then while compression and expansion it will wear out the seal. just trying to find something for a measure safety.

how many miles do you guys have for your jrz/moton shocks without dust boots? no problems with the seals going bad? see another problem is you can always send your shocks here for a rebuild/overhaul, or replacement of parts.

i'll have to deal with sending it back to japan. unless tein starts to do overhauls on these shocks in the USA.

i guess i finally realized why you guys went to those shocks. i've had so much hard time allocating all the parts neccessary to use these stupid shocks!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have over 25,000 miles on my JRZ's, and Dave Kennedy's old car probably has much more on the Motons. No leaks. And you get much more crap all over them when you have an off on the track. I presume they design the seals to withstand all this abuse, such that nothing gets by them (and everything gets cleaned off them) when the shaft slides through.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:18 PM

would you have any pictures of the area of where the piston comes out and where the seals are on the jrz/motons/penske? just something i can compare with my coilovers... i have a feelings my seals won't be as good as yours...

25k+ miles is a lot. it's probably street miles included?

Quick Reply: dust boots for coilovers...