S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Our friend, tomcatt

Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Our friend, tomcatt

Tom, Hilly, and Andy (Kyras' +1) at Fall Colors 2004

I have the extremely sad duty to inform our Vintage members that Tom (AKA tomcatt) passed away this morning.

The last few weeks have been difficult for him. A few of you know that he went into the hospital about a week ago. I'm not going to go into the medical details, but he hasn't been himself for the last week. Hilly told me, however, that yesterday he had a period of lucidity where he was able to say goodbye to his family. He was fighting until the end, but finally, his body gave out on him. I know his spirit did not fail him - I've never met anyone stronger.

I'll never forget you, Tom. None of us will.

No information yet on any memorial. I'll keep you all posted.

Jonas
Old 05-24-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

My condolences to his family, I was really hoping to meet him next month.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I know how much he was looking forward to going to the Fling. I'm glad he and Hilly were able to make that trip to Florida. He fought for so long to get better.

Hilly - my thoughts are with you. Please let us know how we can best remember TC. He did seem to derive some strength from Vintage and the members, and I'm very thankful for that.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear this. I too was looking forward to meeting Tom one day. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the family.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Some pics from Fall Colors 2004:

Old 05-24-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Every once in a while you meet a person and instantly develop a friendship. I'm not sure why or how this happens, but it does. That is how my relationship with Tom began.

Long before there was a Vintage forum there was a thread in S2000Talk "Rain again, again". It started out as a weather thread, but a few of us who were to become the early members of Vintage used it as our own private forum. Deb, Patty, Carmen, myself, Sleep, 4motto, and Quik to name a few, and Tom.

Tom started to post a few weeks before his S was delivered, and we all shared the anticipation and thrill that he felt when he got it. We all got to know each other, our families and our spouses. It was very natural for us to become a part of Vintage when it was formed. And, it was very easy for us to become best friends.

It is with great sorrow that I read Jonas' post. Today I have lost a very close friend. In the short period that we knew each other we developed a friendship and a bond that was as strong as any that I've ever had. I will miss Tom.

I will never forget the first time I met Tom. We both knew who we were immediately. As we got out of our cars both of us shouted and waved. Even though we'd never met, we'd been friends for a long, long time.

Hilly, if you read this please know that you will always be a part of us. You belong to us and we are all family. Not related by blood, but by the bonds of friendship that only comes when people share their lives, their histories, their stories and their time. Hilly, you will never lose us, and we will never lose you. Please know that we are here when you need us. And we will always be here for you.

I hope that Tom didn't suffer too much at the end. A man such as he deserves not to be in pain. Tom, you will always be with us. Rest in peace my friend.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I want to cry and I never even met him. But I guess I actually did. I met him here.

His very likeable personality came through in every post he made. His courage in fighting his disease was remarkable.

Rick and I send our deepest sympathy to Hilly and the entire family.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

This is very sad news. I had always wanted to meet Tom and Hilly. I was scheduled to attend SF04, but had to withdraw for reasons of health, so I missed the opportunity there. Tom was posting up until the middle of May, so I was sure that he was improving and that we would get to meet them in WG to celebrate Hilly's birthday. Vintage posts informed us, and we all suffered with Tom during the difficult chemotherapy days. I'll never forget Tom's signature motto --

Live today like there is no tomorrow

He didn't put a period at the end...

My sincere condolences, Hilly.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sue and I want to express our condolances to Hilly and the rest of the family.

We only met Tom once. It was last year at the Ohio Run. I also filled in for Tom at last year's Spring Fling when Tom found that he couldn't go but still wanted someone to do the photography seminar. Tom was very helpful by sending me the information which he would have shared with all of you at the seminar.

We've lost a good friend and S2000 colleague. Perhaps someone can collect some of his favorite photos that he posted on this site and run them in a memorial thread.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

^All of these were taken at Fall Colors in Pennsylvania, October 2004.

Tom was one of the nicest people I've ever met. I loved him. I was always amazed at how he could keep fighting for his life. I am sad that he is no longer with us on earth, but I know that his spirit is free now to move on to the next step in his journey. I also know that he will great me when I pass over into his world.

Hilly, he loved you so much. You two were so full of love for each other. Your love lives on.

Quick Reply: Our friend, tomcatt