S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Science of Speed install thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Science of Speed install thread

I was asked to make a separate thread for this to sticky. This is by no means a complete install thread, but here're some good tips and pointers for those who are curious.

This is how it arrived. It was packaged very well. Nothing was loose to bang around or anything and everything was very well marked

and the supercharger itself separate from the rest.

This is the directions. Take note of the bolt head figure as well as the printed on measuring line. Very nice attention to detail:

And the directions/figures:

First I did the hood dampers. If you can't figure this out, you really have no business even attempting the blower:
Stock

And with the dampers: NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BREAK THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY FREE WITH THE CAR ON JACK STANDS!

First thing to note... If you've never pulled the rear deck out of the car, it takes 7 push pins to remove it. The directions say 3. There are 3 on the rear edge of the deck, but another 4 on the front edge. If you look closely in this picture you can see the reflection. This is actually shot up into the rear window and reflected on to the front of the rear deck.

When you get the rear deck out, it'll probably look like this:

Buy some of this:

And make it look like this:

With the rear deck removed, this is the view down behind the front seats to the fuel pump. This was really the only part of the instructions that I thought could have been a little clearer. At this point the instructions basically just say to remove the old pump and replace it with the new one. I've done this before so it's no big deal, but if you were brand new to this you might end up a little confused here. When you get the fuel pump/float assembly out, you then have to unplug the pump, take off the filter screen, remove the hose clamps, and then remove the actual pump from the assembly. Again, no big deal and if you can't figure it out you shouldn't be installing your own blower. I only mention this because the rest of the instructions were written to such detail that a 10 year old could do it.

As far as tools go, I swear 95% of this kit is done with a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet. It's really that easy. That was by FAR the most used tool. One other tool to note is a torque wrench. I had a couple of torque wrenches, but I didn't have one that went high enough to torque the crankshaft pulley back on. The setting is something like 197ft/lbs or somewhere right around there. That's a lot. Make sure you have a torque wrench that can get there. Of note... they can get really expensive. I could have bought a nice exhaust for the cost of this thing

This is where I added to the kit a little. This is a coolant line from the heatercore to the aftercooler. It goes through the radiator shroud (Note the rubber grommets for the holes, nice touch SoS) and then wraps under and around the stock water pump and up to the aftercooler. That's the aftercooler water pump under it and I didn't like the idea of the car bouncing and the hose rubbing on the edge of that bracket. I just grabbed a piece of scrap hose, sliced it down the middle and zip tied it there as a sort of sacrificial shielding. I also did the same for the OEM bracket on the far right of this picture where the hose bends, I just did it after this picture

One thing to note is that the lengths of your aftercooler hoses are correct. This is one of those hoses that wraps under the chassis crossmember and up to the aftercooler. If you cut your hoses to long, this will rub against that pulley (not good). Pay special attntion here and make sure there is no chance of it rubbing. I'm going to keep an eye on this. I may look into some brackets and preformed hose to make this a little more of a secure routing solution.

And here it is in the garage finished.

If anybody has any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. I can also take some pictures of individual components for those interested. Really though, the quality of this kit is amazing. All of the machine work is really first class. I've seen the other kits, and while they're all similar, the quality of components in this kit far surpasses the others.... and for less money!

Oh... and dyno! This is the basic aftercooled kit on an 80 degree day and raining outside.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just adding to Flite's thread...some of this is in line with his observations.

Pre-install impressions:
1) Instructions were great. It made the install much easier especially since I'm a newbie at S2Ks.
2) The packing and labeling was top notch. A couple of my friends mentioned that the kit was very well organized.
3) The install time is pretty accurate for someone who hasn't done it before. Mine took about 14-15 hours...I also took my time.
4) Even with the instructions, having the S2K service manual will be very helpful for the install.

Post-install impressions:
1) Exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping for a bump in power along the same line as the stock power/torque curve and I got it. Feels like stock when driving, until you give it the gas.
2) With the Vtec lowered to 4400 or so and Invidia exhaust the sound is amazing top listen to. Definitely sounds better than before. I've had a lot of compliments about it.
3) Makes the S so much more enjoyable to drive.

A friend and I found a nice "trick" for removing the crank pulley. Use a combination of PB-Blaster and heat from a torch. Heat up the crank pulley bolt, but be careful to not put the flame on surrounding components...just the bolt. Heat it for about 5 minutes. Add PB-Blaster to bolt...it's going to smoke a lot. Give it a crank with the appropriate tools. It should release. We both couldn't get it even with bending the breaker bars and using a 3' pipe, but the combo of the above did the trick. It released with one good crank.

Dyno results...
2001 AP1 w/Individa exhaust+TP (all else is stock)
SoS SL SC
AC

Best run after tweaking for AFR on Dynojet
(this actually was the 10th run, car and AC were a little warm):
72.39degF, 48% Humidity
290.69 HP @ 8600rpm
182.08 TQ @ 8300rpm
Boost = 5.15
AFR = 12.23
The following users liked this post:
Goody04 (07-31-2017)
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Nice, appreciate the write up Flite. I might have missed it, but how long did the total install take? I know I'm capable of installing it, but SoS is about an 1.5 hr away and the lazy side of me wants to just take it to them when I pick up the kit, lol.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by petro1010,May 14 2009, 07:08 PM
Nice, appreciate the write up Flite. I might have missed it, but how long did the total install take? I know I'm capable of installing it, but SoS is about an 1.5 hr away and the lazy side of me wants to just take it to them when I pick up the kit, lol.
Install for me seemed to match the recommended time from SoS...14 hours - AP1+AC

I also took my time to get it right.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 288 Likes on 267 Posts

adding to the FAQ now
Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by petro1010,May 14 2009, 11:08 PM
I would say probably 8-9 hours total by myself. If you get a buddy or two it'll probably take you about 12.

It's really easy to install.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 AM

took me like 8-9 hours as well to install!! took me 5 days though... only had time to work on the car after work!! LOL

Flite,

nice numbers... how much boost is the MY04's runnning??
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by s2k8,May 15 2009, 10:59 AM
took me like 8-9 hours as well to install!! took me 5 days though... only had time to work on the car after work!! LOL

Flite,

Same story here. I worked on it for an hour or two a day for about a week after work.

It made 6.45 PSI on my car. That's the bottom part of my dyno sheet.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by s2k8,May 15 2009, 06:59 AM

Flite,

wow so that means i can prolly install it in one day or two....since imma be on vacation ill be working on it from 8am until 6 pm
Old 05-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by MasterForce,May 16 2009, 01:16 AM
wow so that means i can prolly install it in one day or two....since imma be on vacation ill be working on it from 8am until 6 pm
I wouldn't count on less than 2 days devoted to it. You'll probably run in to a couple little bumps in the road that take time.

Quick Reply: Science of Speed install thread