S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

why so many damn problems on a new car?

Old 07-14-2002, 10:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default why so many damn problems on a new car?

Seems like my new '02 (3 months old) has every common problem I've read about on this board:

needed new igntion coil at 600 miles
left window sometimes stops halfway when auto-down is used
occasional grinding between 1st and 2nd at high revs
clutch vibrates (buzzes) during engine braking

Am I just that lucky, or is it odd that I've been afflicted with almost all the common problems in such a short time?
Old 07-14-2002, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on s2ki for the better part of 2 years and have never heard about an ignition coil problem.... what's that about? What was the symptom/problem?

The other three are things that MOST members run into, IMO. And I think the grinding varies in severity from car to car, but for the most part you can avoid it by giving the synchros time to change speeds between 1 and 2. Just give it an extra split second before moving the shifter toward 2nd. If it still persists, then yeah something needs some work.

I had the buzzing on decel, I got pretty used to it, but it got a little louder so I had the clutch replaced recently... now it's nice and quiet (well quiet for the S2000 is loud for any other car).

I also had the window problem... but it only cropped up at ~35k miles! I was surprised because about a couple weeks before warranty ran out, the driver side power window stopped working quite as well. That too was fixed. Hopefully for good.

Good luck getting these issues resolved!
Old 07-15-2002, 12:15 AM

I've had my '02 since April, and I now have 12K miles on her. Not a single problem has appeared yet. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing this!
Old 07-15-2002, 12:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Luft46
I've had my '02 since April, and I now have 12K miles on her. Not a single problem has appeared yet. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing this!
12,000 miles since April? And I thought I was up there with 5,000 since I got mine the same month...
Old 07-15-2002, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by toecheese
Seems like my new '02 (3 months old) has every common problem I've read about on this board:

needed new igntion coil at 600 miles
left window sometimes stops halfway when auto-down is used
occasional grinding between 1st and 2nd at high revs
clutch vibrates (buzzes) during engine braking

Am I just that lucky, or is it odd that I've been afflicted with almost all the common problems in such a short time?
i hear ya!
not sure bout the first problem... but all the rest... I HAVE THEM TOO
that window thing pisses me off, but not ass much as the grinding and poppin' outta first!
when i first got the car i was amazed at how quick the windows dropped, now, i'm lucky if the driver's side goes half way down!
gotta take that trip to the dealer, but i'll wait for the oild change to do that!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:29 AM

I have an '02 with about 10700 miles or so. There are no problems, but I have experienced the half way left window roll down. But it rarely happens and I don't really care.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:40 AM

even if it happened just once... point is, IT DID, and it SHOULDN'T!
it doesn't bother me enough to go to the deal especially for that, but i will have it fixed on my oil changed...
i also have over 10k now!
Old 07-15-2002, 04:47 AM

I have a 02 with 1700 miles. Not a single problem so far. I have had a grind on the 1-2 shift twice but both times there was no question it was driver induced releasing the clutch to soon. If you miss time that you can't expect the syncros to save you.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:02 AM

You are just unlucky dude. At least the problems were repiared for free...
Old 07-15-2002, 11:15 AM

i have a 02 s2000 and i get the window problem sometimes. i also feel a weird feeling when i shift from 2nd to 3rd sometimes. it feels like the clutch is not all the way down, but it is, and it is a notchy feeling of a grindy feeling with out the noise. anybody else get this 2nd to 3rd problem.

Matt

Quick Reply: why so many damn problems on a new car?