S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Fifth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet

Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts
Default The Fifth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet

Note: Photo Thread is HERE: Tomcatt 2010 Photo Thread

The Fifth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet will take place the weekend of June 18-20, 2010. This event is open to all Vintage members, and known Pre-Vints. S2000 ownership is NOT a requirement.
This event is named in honor of our dear friend Tom Curda (AKA Tomcatt), who passed away May 24th, 2006. Rt. 26 was his all-time favorite driving roads.

As always, this meet is about two things:

Friendship:

Many of us have remarked on the friendships that started with the purchase of this car and participation in this forum. Many of these friendships have continued throughout life's twists and turns, and have transcended the actual ownership of the car. Regardless of whether we've known each other since the beginning of S2KI, or we only meet you on the day, everyone at the Tomcatt meet is a friend.

The Drive:

Ohio Route 26, from Cambridge to Marietta, Ohio, previously one of Car & Driver's 10 best drives in the USA, consists of 80 miles of twisties and elevation changes; perfect for the S2000. You will enjoy driving through rural areas complete with rivers, forests, farms and covered bridges. For the past three years, we have also added Ohio Rt. 555 to our day’s drive. This is a spectacular rollercoaster of a road, much of it with newer blacktop. We'll probably revisit the same route again this year as we did last year. Our drive will take up most of the day on Saturday: 7 hours, 215 miles, 2 rest stops, a lunch break, and one stop for gas. If you like to challenge your car and yourself, and enjoy the sound of VTEC then this is the drive for you! If you like to get your heart pumping when behind the wheel, then this drive will not disappoint. Expect to drive the way this car was meant to be driven!

For those who are looking for a slightly more moderate drive, this year we will again have a Touring drive group. While the Moderate group takes on Rt. 555 on Saturday morning, a more scenic, parallel route will be taken by the Touring group. After lunch, again at the Muddy Miser, both groups will experience Rt. 26 back to the hotel.

Marietta, Ohio will be our home base. Arrive on Friday, drive on Saturday, party Saturday evening, head homeward on Sunday.

Hilly and I have decided that, in the future, we will always hold this event on Father’s Day weekend (like last year). We had the best turnout ever last year, and I think the time of year had something to do with it. So, go ahead and pencil in Father’s Day weekend from now on as the weekend of the Tomcatt meet.

Hotel:

I have reserved a block of 20 rooms at the Hampton Inn in Marietta for Friday, June 18th & Saturday, June 19th. The phone number is 740-373-5353. When calling for your reservation, tell them you are with the TCR (TomCatt Run) Honda group. Room cost is same as last year ($99). Most rooms are standard doubles, but folks who call early can request a king ($5 extra), but no guarantees. The block of rooms will be held until May 18th, 2010.

Note: Since I booked the block of rooms Monday (November 30th), the group code should already be in the computer and ready for your call.

This thread will be the main signup and information thread. A separate drive group thread will be started sometime this winter.

This post will be updated with additional information as the date approaches.

Who's in?

Participants:
==================
Moderate Group:
spt-s2k +1 - booked
Scooterboy +1 - booked
sailor1533 (+1) - booked
s-cargo (TCR Virgin) - booked
canberra - booked

Touring Group:
JonasM+1 - booked - Touring Leader
plantpixie +1 - booked
Jet sitter +1 - booked
Tachus (+1) - booked
Jumpy Guy - booked
tomnsyl (TCR Virgin) (+1) - booked
tommyra (+1) - booked
poorshoesless (+1) - booked
MCLAUGHLINMJPA (+1) - booked
goblues2k (+1) - booked

Friday: Arrival
Dinner Friday evening evening is on your own. Matt is organizing a group reservation at Villa Da Dinci - see this thread. There are lots of restaurants in the area - check with the front desk - they usually have a list, and there are plenty of obvious options once you've driven through the area.
After dinner, there's a swimming pool at the hotel, and the breakfast area is a great place to meet up, hang out, & chat. Befoe and after dinner, that's where you will find me. Please try to find me & check in with me - I'll have the route directions, your magnet, I'll collect your $5, and give you any other last-minute information you may need for the next day.
I hope to be at the hotel by about 5pm. I'll call them this week to remind them to have a hose available for washing. Check with the front desk upon arrival.

Saturday: Drive
Breakfast is easiest at the hotel. There's a decent breakfast bar - not much hot stuff, but usually either scrambled eggs and sausage or waffles are available, and all sorts of breads, fruits, cereal, etc.

Both drive groups will depart at 9:15AM. Driver's Meeting at 9AM sharp. PLEASE HAVE A FULL TANK OF GAS. We've got about 150 or so miles of driving before our gas stop at the top of Rt 26. Both groups will have a pit stop about 2/3 of the way through the morning's run.

Lunch will be at the Muddy Miser in Zanesville. Please be extra nice to the waitresses - they are coming in early for the day just for us. Lunch is 90 minutes. After lunch, we have about 45 minutes of freeway to let the food settle, then on to Rt. 26. We'll gas up at the freeway exit. With a stop at the halfway mark in Woodsfield (ice cream, anyone?) we should be back at the hotel sometime between 4:30 and 5pm. Plenty of time to wash up & relax just a bit before dinner.

Dinner is at 6:30 at the Marietta Brewing Company. We should leave the hotel at about 6:10 latest. If you haven't joined us in previous years, make sure you follow someone who knows where they are going. We have a 'hidden' parking place that we always use.

After dinner, we have the use of the conference room on the first floor to hang out. For me, this is one of the nicer parts of this already great meet - time to hang out, talk about the day's drive, shoot the breeze with folks who I see so infrequently. We will have some munchies (provided by Hilly), so BYOB. There are always a few diehards that stay late into the night (I'm always one of them!) Plan to hang around a while!

Sunday: Homeward
Don't run out without saying goodbye!

See you all Friday evening!

JonasM
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

Put me in Sam's spirited group! (Maybe +1, but not sure)
Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're in!

I guess Sam's group
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

Add me +1 to the touring group.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm good for Sam's group (happy to tailgun again, if needed). Can't be sure about a +1 at this point in time.

Looking forward to it!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

We are in !!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would like to be Sam's # 2 if possible. Gene, you know your place.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Add me and the +1 to the touring group, thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope to attend for the first time, along with +1 so please add us to the list!

Please put us in the Sprited Group....any spot that's near the front (rare GPW stick together )
Old 12-02-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Add me as a maybe; not sure about that weekend.

Quick Reply: The Fifth Annual Tomcatt Memorial Meet