S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Convertible top abrasion

Old 08-22-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an interesting development I've discovered with my convertible top: the top is wearing completely through in places. I've got a 2000 S2k, 37k miles, just about 2 1/2 years old.

Here's a description of what I'm talking about. Grab a flashlight. Park outside during daylight or in a bright area. If you're sitting in your driver's seat, top up, and you turn your head to the left, you'll look straight at an upside-down U-shaped part of the top frame. If you look past this area, at the part of the top behind it and just behind the back top corner of the driver's side window, you may see sunlight peaking through an abraded area in the fabric.

If you grab a flashlight, you can see--on my car at least--that the inner layer of the top is being abraded in a small (about a 2 square inch) area just behind some plastic flashing on the top behind the window. Looks like this flashing, whenever the top folds, has slowly rubbed completely through the convertible top.

Alarmingly, the same thing exists on the passenger side, and although the abrasion is not quite as severe, it nevertheless exists and I can now see sunlight through that, too.

Fortunately I've got an extended warranty--has anyone here noted this problem and had it fixed?

Everyone check your cars--am I the only one??
Old 08-22-2002, 10:38 AM

I have the same problem on both the left and right sides. I have a 2000 S2k from November, 1999, with about 24K miles. I'm planning on having the dealer look at this when I bring the car in for the spark plug swap.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:26 AM

Anyone else with older cars notice if they have holes worn in their roof behind the top back corner of their driver and passenger side windows?

This seems like a potentially significant warranty and owner satisfaction issue--normal wear and tear causing HOLES in your top.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:57 AM

Am on my way to check it now!!! I do have the dealer talked into replacing the rear window as it has cracked and leaks water - I'll add this my list of things to fix.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:00 AM

I looked after seeing this. Mine is worn there too. No holes yet. I think I will be bringing this to Honda to look at.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:51 PM

The dealer looked at my car and said that they will replace the top under warranty. Here are some pictures of my top.

Is this what other people are seeing?

Does the 2002 top design fix this problem?
Old 08-23-2002, 05:12 PM

Yep.....that's where mine is getting really worn. Damn!
Old 08-23-2002, 05:53 PM

BrianS2k~
That's it exactly. Thanks for posting that pic (I need to buy a digital camera one of these days).

My abrasion is just now turning into a tear like yours--although yours seems a bit worse than mine. I figure in a month or two it'll be big enough for gravity to surpass surface tension, letting water seep in.

Looks like Honda has another little "squawk" on its hands concerning the S2K. That's disappointing but hey, it was a first-year design. Do 2002 S2Ks have the plastic flashing that follows the rear curve of the windows? That's what I think is doing the rubbing.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:28 PM

I know that in order to have the top with the glass window almost all of the it is has to be replaced and it folds a little differently. I wonder if they were changing two problems at once.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:57 PM

My top is being replaced by Honda under warranty.

See this other thread...
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...797#post1071797

Quick Reply: Convertible top abrasion