S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My tool bag.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default My tool bag.

I’m curious, do you carry a set of tools in your S2000 in the event of a roadside emergency? Having owned my share of English and Italian sports cars I learned a long time ago the need to be prepared for any roadside repair, and almost anything else that might come up. Out of fairness, in the 8 years and 30,000 miles that I’ve owned my S2000 I’ve never once had to do any roadside fix ups but because of my misadventures in the past, I absolutely refuse to leave home without a set of tools in the trunk. It doesn’t hurt that I love tools and I love to tinker either, but for the most part my tool bag is because of the sports cars I’ve owned in the past.

I have a blue canvas tool bag in the trunk and here’s what I keep in it:

1. A torque wrench. A 3/8 inch drive torque wrench adjustable from 10 to 80 pounds. I always torque the lug nuts when I put a wheel back onto the car. I use it for most other nuts and bolts too.
2. A 3/8 inch drive 19 millimeter deep socket. I use this to loosen and tighten the lug nuts.
3. A ½ inch drive breaker bar. I won’t use an impact wrench on my S2000, and sometimes I need the extra torque of the breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts.
4. A set of adaptors so that I can use virtually any socket with any drive. The most important one is the ½ drive to 3/8 inch drive, but I carry the entire set.
5. A set of 3/8 inch drive extensions. I believe they are 3, 5 and 7 inches long. They come in handy for loosening and tightening bolts that I can’t reach. Because I have the adaptors in #4 I can use these extensions with virtually any socket.
6. A socket set with 9 sockets sized 11 millimeters to 19 millimeters and a 3/8 inch drive ratchet wrench.
7. A set combination wrenches/spanners (open on one end, box socket on the other) sizes 10 millimeter to 19 millimeter.
8. A 23 millimeter and a 24 millimeter combination wrench (for the differential drain & fill)
9. A #2 phillips screw driver and a 3/16 flat blade screwdriver. I also carry a smaller Phillips and flat blade screwdriver.
10. A regular pair of pliers, a pair of needle nose pliers and a pair of diagonal (cutting) pliers.
11. An oil filter wrench. Not exactly a wrench, it’s more like a giant socket that goes on top of the filter and uses a 3/8 inch ratchet. I hate the band type oil filter wrenches.
12. A funnel in a plastic Ziploc bag.
13. A PCX official Honda oil filter (in a ziplock bag).
14. 1 quart of Mobil1 10W-30 (in a ziplock bag)
15. A set of plastic wheel chocks (bought at Wal-Mart for about $5.00 and maybe my most important tool)
16. A few pair of latex (examination type) gloves. Just to keep my hand clean and because used oil is carcinogenic if in contact with skin for very long.
17. A set of fuses. I don’t know how fuses know this, but they never seem to blow out when auto parts stores are open. They always blow after the stores and gas stations have closed.
18. A pair of mechanic’s gloves because engine parts are very hot after the engine’s been run.
19. A roll of electrical tape. Just in case.
20. A few zip ties (my answer to duct tape)
21. A roll of paper towels
22. A tire pressure gauge, a tire valve tool and a tire repair kit (even though I’ve never successfully repaired a flat tire with the kit)
23. A flashlight and a pocket knife.

Those are the items I deem to be essential. I also carry:

1. A ¼ in drive socket set with sockets ranging from 4 millimeters to about 11 millimeters.
2. Assorted washers such as the washers for the transmission drain and fill, the differential drain and fill and the oil drain. I have a fumoto oil valve on my S, but I carry the original oil drain bolt too, just in case.
3. I also have a portable air compressor that works off of a 12 volt battery. I find it hard to believe that it could really fill a tire, but it was on sale at Home Depot for $10 a few years ago, so I figured what the hell. I only carry it in my trunk for long trips. Otherwise it sleeps in the garage. I have a real compressor in the garage so I’ve never had the opportunity to try this one out.

I carry a few of the tools, such as the 23 and 24 millimeter combination wrenches, because I bought them specifically for the S2000 and I like to keep them together, but most of the stuff in my tool bag is there just because I believe in being prepared and because of my past sports cars.

I think I’ve included everything. If I think of anything else, I’ll add to my list.

What do you carry in your tool bag?

(Credit where credit is due. This post/thread was inspired by Bryan (Hannibal) after I responded to a question he asked me about tools that I carry in my car. He suggested that I start this thread. My hope is that those of you who also carry tools and like to tinker or "wrench" on your car will add to it in order to possibly create a guide to being prepared.)
Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ratchets, oil, brake fluid, and zip ties-- that's all that is in my trunk. Other than a couple metal things filled with nitrogen
Old 08-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the camaro I had more trunk space so I had all my tools. 3/8 rachet, full set, breaker bar
1/4" full set
wrenches, full set
hex keys
specialty tools
etc!

With that set of tools, I've pulled a trans, valve adjusted, valve retainer changed, etc. those tools are all Ive ever needed too!

for the S, i just started planning a good tools set...

going to go full 3/8" rachet set, adjustable wrench, vise grip, giant pipe (breaker bar equivalent), pliers, tie straps, duct tape, misc stuff.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Wow, that's a lot. I've got almost nothing in my trunk.

Super simple:
Set of alden wrenches
3/8 drive wrench with 10, 12, 14mm sockets
Tire plug kit
Spare serpentine belt
Fuses
Pliers
Flashlight
Screwdriver
Tire gage
Bungee cords
Zipties

Otherwise, I just carry my AAA card. I had a booster kit and oil in my trunk but took them out as I didn't like them shifting around.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing, not even a spare..
Old 08-08-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by siik_ap2,Aug 9 2010, 10:06 AM
This......
Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 PM

my cell phone
Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by siik_ap2,Aug 8 2010, 06:06 PM
I go back and forth between nothing and a few things.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM

I have a quart of oil in the trunk in case I need to add any extra during a refuel stop. I also have the CR trunk insert, thats it. I could probably put a few other tools in there, but I don't.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A simple tool kit with metric wrenches a ratchet and some screw drivers.
A Slime Kit for flats if I get one. I would only use either if I were out of cell range.

My USAA Membership with towing. (I am not sure how I could leave home without it, unless I was out of cell range, or forgot the number)

I do not drive out of cell coverage (I stay in the DFW metroplex). If I were to breakdown, I would just call for a tow (flatbed of course) and get it towed to my house.

I have no problems working on my car on the side of the road, except for the idiots around here that cannot stay in a lane and drive on the side of the road. If there even is one. Here is seems like the DOT has decided we need barriers, and hardly any medians.

Quick Reply: My tool bag.