S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2010 S2K Challenge #7 - ACS - 8/15/10

Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2010 S2K Challenge #7 - ACS - 8/15/10

Our seventh 2010 S2K Challenge event was held on August 15, 2010 at the Auto Club Speedway using the Roval configuration. This was the first time an S2K Challenge event was held on this high-speed course, popular for various time-attack series and W2W racing.

Auto Club Speedway, previously known as California Speedway is a relatively new track built in early 1997 and has been the host for many racing series including NASCAR, IRL, Motorcycle, Grand-Am, and even JGTC. This D-shaped oval incorporates 11-degree banking on the front straight with 14-degree banking in NASCAR Turns 1 and 2. This track also has a series of infield road-course combinations with the largest and fastest utilizing the oval’s front straight and first two turns before going back down into the infield. This 2.88 17-turn "roval" is a common configuration for everything from Grand-Am to track days. (MotoIQ)

While two opposing camps argue whether the roval is a horsepower or handling track, there is no question that the 14-degree banked turns 1 & 2 are intimidating; especially for most who have never been on banking before. The top S2K Challenge participatants were able to hit 130mph+ on the NASCAR banked turns!!!

Weather: The high temperature of the day reached 91.8°F as many of the S2K Challenge participants (and friends/family/pets) enjoyed the shade in the spaceous garages at ACS.

Time trial format of the day was fast lap time of the day. A special thanks to the Series's newest sponsor, AQ Motorsports who donated CASH prizes to all of the classes!

Stock Class

The Stock Class comprised a very exciting battle between Albert Gavieres and Richard Seegman. The two were battling all day with lap times within ~1 sec during each practice session. In the end, Albert outsted Richard, with respective lap times of 2:03.0 and 2.04.7!

1st Place received $100 dollars from AQ Motorsports and 2nd place received a free alignment from Evasive Motorsports.

Street Class

Competition in the Street Class was extremely tight with only ~0.5 seconds separating the podium finishers! Congratulations to 1st place finisher Nam Yoon with a 1:59.4 who barely edged out Fil Craciun (1:59.5) who came in second. Ben Rigaud came in 3rd with a 2:00.0, just 0.5 seconds behind Fil.

1st Place received $100 dollars from AQ Motorsports, 2nd received a free valve adjustment from Tony Fuchs Racing), 3rd place received a Speedventures gift certificate.

Modified Class

Times in the Modified Class were BLAZING fast, with oustanding performance from Jim Tway, who clocked in a 1:53.0 for 1st in class! Coming in 2nd and 3rd were Mark Tsai and Mike Tsay with lap times of 1:55.6 and 1:56.0, respectively.

1st Place received $100 dollars from AQ Motorsports, 2nd received a full fluid swap (engine, tranny, diff) from Rising Star Motorsports, and 3rd place received a Speedventures gift certificate.

Class Standings

Hope to see you all at our next event at Buttonwillow on September 26, 2010...cheers!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=811468
Old 08-19-2010, 05:59 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKgev6IXk5c [/media]

Had an amazing time as always! Didn't break my goal time of under 2:00 by 0.016.
Next time...

Cya all at BW,

Cheers
Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink

Had a blast! Thanks to Alex and his fam for the pizza!! Happy Bday

I also had some cool vid but stupid me, deleted them on accident
I couldnt stay for the standings but Im sure I got 5th with a 1:56:xxx.

Oh yeah...GO ALBERT

Pics

Old 08-20-2010, 02:58 PM

We had a great day. Handling and speed, the car was working very good despite the heat. I had previously run a 1:55 on street tires earlier this year when the car was slightly heavier, but had the EMS installed. I was definetly carrying more speed through the corners with the R-compounds, and was definitely accelerating better with the reduced weight. But I felt the car was just lagging on the straight at high speed. I was scratching my head until my wife showed me this picture after lunch

Here's a video of my best lap (lap 3 in the video). This was during the 2nd session, before I put in the spare tire ballast. For those that didn't hear, I was not running the rear bumper impact beam. I interpreted that you can remove it under the rear bumper trim 0.25 pt rule. As a result, I nullified my 1st three session times. Not having the rear bumper bar at the track, we made a compromise and attached a spare tire for the last session. We've had good offline talk about the rule and need to clarify it. I apologize for my misinterpretation. I was fine being asked to check my car. Its important for us to be able to talk openly about our rules and be able to question a car without fear of reprisal. Its the only way our series will work with the no tech honor system.

Youtube Video

Here's some of my wife's pictures from the event. They're posted in my album if you want a hi-res (6MB) copy.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM

^^ Nice times Jim! Super fast laps you had..its crazy how at this track weight plays a good factor.
With passenger, I was a good 1.5 slower. I think Im one of the "fatter" mod guys too weighing in at 210 lol...time for a diet

Glad you still made 1st even after the rule issues!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Jim,
what camera do you use?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 PM

In car camera was a hd hero cam. My wife's is a Rebel Ti
Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f20kills,Aug 19 2010, 09:07 PM
Does it really help with the seams taped?? Usually I run top down during the HPDEs, but its so hot here in Texas that you want all the wind you can get when you not tryin to get every .001 seconds.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim: How did you fix that hood? What caused the problem?

That's scary.

Congrats on an INSANELY fast time
Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 PM

I noticed it at my last acs event, but it wasn't as pronounced. I dropped the hood down about 1/8 inch, hoping it fix that. But I also closed out the radiator, so all the air coming in through there has to exit out the engine bay now. Prior to, alot of it went into the wheel wells, which is mondo drag. Even more, I had to trim some of the hood stiffened sections to clear the intake, so the hood wasn't as stiff.

I never did fix it on sunday Need to add two hood pins to the front......I think.

Quick Reply: 2010 S2K Challenge #7 - ACS - 8/15/10