S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

young s2000 owner

Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default young s2000 owner

Im 19 years old now, and got my S when i was 17 turning 18 years of age. I just wanted to write my experiences down from a teenagers point of view.

When i was looking for a car, I wanted to buy something quick for a dumb reason. I had sat in my brother's 2nd gen Rx7 when I was a kid and never forgot the feeling of how great speed felt. Besides, my best friend owned an Rx8 and hearing him go on and on about stories of killing cars you know he never beat just made me want to jump on the band wagon even more. I wanted to be fast and furious for lack of a better phrase lol.

I was looking at supras, rx7s, sti's, evo's and anything that I saw in fast and furious(didnt know jack about driving manual at the time eithier). Mind you, I couldnt spot a turbo in an engine bay if it was painted neon yellow. I could barely change my own oil, and I was stepping in territory I knew nothing about. All i knew is that I liked the feeling of driving spirited and it was the best form of stress relief i had ever felt.

So one day, my dad comes shopping with me and we see a 2004 sebring s2000 with the red interior in it for 15,000. He tells me I should get it and he will make the down payment! He wanted me to get something stick and with 2 seats so I couldnt talk on the cell and drive at the same time or have my friends in the back seat distracting me since I have certain medical conditions as it is. I was trying to keep away from honda since I didnt want to be another ricer Puerto Rican guy with a loud exhaust driving a honda in florida . So i watch some youtube videos of the s2k and instantly fell in love with the car. I knew nothing about the cars specs and capabilities but I couldnt pass up the deal and ended up with the s2k about 2 days later.

I ended up pushing the thing the first 15 minutes i learned how to drive stick and raced a rx8, wrx and a civic in the same day (felt like paul walker for 5 minutes). I felt like the king of the world until on the way home, i disintergrated (not burnt!) the clutch . I put the car in the shop, and took this time to educate myself by watching youtube videos, DIY's and reading countless write ups on s2ki. Its on this forum I learned how to respect my car and see how lucky I was to own one.

I took advanced driving lessons as soon as I got the car back, and drove it and continue to drive it like its the most precious thing in my life. The first year I had it I almost got involved in 2 accidents and came out without a scratch on the car and most importantly me but they surely would have ended badly if I had an auto or a car that wasnt as responsive as our beloved s2000's.

Basically guys, this car has not only made me a better driver, but a better person in general. I feel like im years ahead of my generation in terms of maturity and I want to thank everyone on s2ki for the awesome write ups and advice.

Its been fun driving stock for a year and some change, but now I think im mentally and physically ready to take this baby to the next level.

Thank you, S2ki for keeping the young and stupid safe on the road

Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 AM

Great write-up, it's good to see that this car has made you become more responsible.

Taking it to the next level meaning boost?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:15 AM

Hey there. Welcome to S2KI!

I do remember being just like you in my younger days, so don't feel bad! I however, did not have problems driving manual, since I drove manual since day 1. However, I did have problems with mechanical knowledge and general driving skill!

So when I came to the USA, and got my license, first thing I did was take my shit to the race track! Have you considered that?

Specifically, I signed up for PDX with the SCCA at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, and then followed that up with Mid-Ohio Driving School's Teenage Defensive Driving program.

I had a wonderful time, and it showed me how far below I was from being capable of taking the car to it's limits. I learned a lot too.

If you live near a good driving school (not that shit they make 16yos go through. A REAL school like Skip Barber and Mid-Ohio Driving School), go take a course. I cannot think of a better way to learn to control an RWD sports car than having a professional show you the ropes.

Alternatively, you can also start learning by signing up for HPDEs near you. Most of them offer instruction for novice drivers. However, be warned, that your instructor may end up being a dentist, rather than a guy who makes his damned living driving fast.

Basically, it all boils down to: Take your shit to the track! You pay the equivalent of one speeding ticket for an entire day's worth of no-limits driving. You can go 120+mph if you want (and are capable! Track's no place for idiots!).
Old 08-23-2010, 03:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up! Your a very lucky kid to have an S2000 at a very young age. Good to hear it slowed you down too. My motto about driving this car is "drive like you stole it!".
Old 08-23-2010, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to learn about respect, especially in this car.

And I do have to agree that this forum is great. The DIY write ups alone are worthwhile (I really should pay for a membership - I think I will do that now actually!). I have been doing all the work on my S2k and learning so much - this is the first car I have done any work on and I love it.

Good for you and here is to a long future with your S!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 AM

Good to hear another teenagers experience. I picked mine up in February a few months before I turned 18. Like everyone ive had one or two close calls. Try going to an auto x event, it helps you learn to control your car unlike anything you can do on the street, and its relatively cheap. Have fun, stay safe.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice write up, thank you for proper grammar and spelling. Sounds like you've learned responsibility.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:26 AM

cool pic bro is that on your myspace?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 AM

jeez it's a scary thought that there are teenagers on the road being given cars like this. i'm happy that i drove a 1.8L Jetta from 17-19 that i paid for myself... taught me a world of respect right there without endangering everyone around me.

what exactly do you mean by 'the next level'?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Matt15,Aug 24 2010, 01:42 AM
jeez it's a scary thought that there are teenagers on the road being given cars like this. i'm happy that i drove a 1.8L Jetta from 17-19 that i paid for myself... taught me a world of respect right there without endangering everyone around me.

what exactly do you mean by 'the next level'?
I think it's foolish to generalize all teenagers to be irresponsible and lead footed. Yes, predominantly there are more cases of us involved with accidents because some of us are not ready to handle the responsibility that comes with a car like the S2000. There are however, always exceptions to this rule. I like to think of myself as one of them. I always thought getting a cheap slow-ish car would prevent me from winding up inside a tree. After spending two months on S2KI, and two local S2000 crashes one of which resulted in a death last weekend, I have come to respect the car immensely and am far less likely to do something stupid. As I always tell myself, the key is to treat the throttle like there is an egg between your foot and the pedal. The potential to drive in a spirited fashion is definitely there and I'm not denying it. It's all about which perspective you decide to view your car from.

Quick Reply: young s2000 owner