New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Eibach's - my review

Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eibach's - my review

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

EibachPro Kit – 1” drop – Part#: 4043.140

I consider this to be a major mod to the car! And, for someone who enjoys the handling of this car, it just makes it better, no question about it IMHO.

Overall Observations

LOOKS- in many ways I consider the drop to be subtle. It’s noticeable in the side by side comparision pics, but in normal daily looks I think it is kind of subtle which is very ok with me. The true S2000 enthusiast will notice it, but it is not some extreme silly looking drop.

SMOOTH BASICALLT STRAIGHT ROAD- think expressway or where there are turns but they are gentle and the suspension is not really loaded. In these situations the ride is a tiny bit former. I feel like I’m moving up and down a bit more in the seat as the car is a bit less flaoty. It’s not harsh, just a bit more firm and connected.

ROUGHER ROAD, STILL NO REAL TURNING LOADS- clearly firmer but again, the word harsh does not come to mind. If the road has what I’ll call a whipty-do you feel much more of the road’s unevenness. The car travels more consistently above the surface, the springs are filtering out less of the pavement undulations.

CORNERING AND REALLY PUSHING DOWN INTO SPRINGS- now is when the difference becomes much more obvious. There is a big step towards a firmer ride, but again, the word harsh does not come to mind, but clearly firmer. The car clearly feels more connected to the road, whatever the road surface is, it is transmitted into the suspension as a much more tight, direct, immediate feeling. The springs communicate much more about the road surface and its conditions both through the steering wheel and the seats.

A DEFINITE BUMP IN THE ROAD- now this you feel! It’s not a nasty hard bang or anything real nasty, but here the word harsh does fit. When you hit a sizeable bump, pothole, pavement crack or something like that, the spring goes to full firm and wham, you feel the shock. Also, keep in mind, for those of us rolling on 16” tires, we have a bit more sidewall flex that can absorb the shock, and protect the wheel, and for this I’m thrilled I’m on 16”.

LEAN ANGLES AND BODY ROLL- under strong to severe cornering loads the car is clearly flater, a noticeable reduction in roll. I see this as a 1+1 does not equal 2, but a 1+1=4 kind of thing. The combo of a firmer spring allowing less roll (1) added to the lower center of gravity causing less of a roll (1) means the end result is a flatter cornering attitude (4). In some ways the cars feels like the springs have not changed but the swaybars have been made evenly stiffer on both front and rear. To date I have not sensed and real change towards more oversteer or more understeer.

STEERING FEEL- now this one could very well be my favorite. The springs somehow affect the steering feel, the car seems more direct. I’m thinking it has to do with the less roll keeping the fronts flatter on the ground, and this means the car is reacting better to the actual movement of the steering wheel.

ALLIGNMENT- my old settings were easily added to the car once the springs were changed.

SYNOPSIS

WOW- this has really woken up my car. I know I have to be more careful of curbs and stuff in the road because of the reduced ground clearance, bit this does not bother me, I’m already trained to think that way because if both the CRX-Si and the VFR. Clearly I do not see this making me choose if I should or should not take the S, if the weather is fine I’ll roll in the S and if there is some huge steep curb into or out of a parking lot I’ll deal with it then, it’s a non-issue.

WHY- did I wait so long, this is like the exhaust, once done I just can’t believe I waited so long to do it

VERY COOL- I just love the look!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Very nice...I had a feeling this was why you were so antsy to get home on Friday
Old 08-23-2010, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice Doug! I must say, the look is very subtle. From what you were describing to me over the phone, I thought it would be more. I guess an one-inch drop really isn't what I thought it would be for this car. I thought it'd be more extreme.

Does the same part work for my 2007?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by diskoe,Aug 23 2010, 07:41 AM
Does the same part work for my 2007?
It will work just fine on the AP1 NFR John
Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo,Aug 23 2010, 07:40 AM
Very nice...I had a feeling this was why you were so antsy to get home on Friday
You indeed nailed it!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by diskoe,Aug 23 2010, 07:41 AM
I must say, the look is very subtle.
It really is.
The weird thing though, when I walk past it in the garage, it feels a lot lower
It's weird, but when I'm standing next to it, looking down at it, I can perceive it has indeed changed
Old 08-23-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the review. I like the subtle look. The ride height may settle a little bit more with time.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Aug 23 2010, 07:55 AM
It will work just fine on the AP1 NFR John
Just went to Eibach's site, apparently the part you used also works on 2007.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Aug 23 2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the review. I like the subtle look. The ride height may settle a little bit more with time.
I think that's true. Because from the pictures, the drop doesn't look to be 1 inch.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by diskoe,Aug 23 2010, 08:37 AM
Just went to Eibach's site, apparently the part you used also works on 2007.
I know, but that's not how I choose to answer the question

Quick Reply: Eibach's - my review