S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil bolt replacement.

Old 10-05-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil bolt replacement.

I did it today. Not too difficult, but one must be patient and have faith the #1 bolt can be thread started with a flex joint. It took awhile for me to thread it, and one I did, the jet was pointed the wrong way and I could not rotate the jet without essentially totally backing out the bolt, so I had to thread it again.

I was despairing of thinking I had to remove the timing chain to remove the oil pump (only way to remove that pump) in order to squarely start #1 bolt, as it was difficult with the flex fitting.

The Honda liquid gasket is in a pressure can. The neatest bead comes with keeping the tip above the surface and letting the cord of material fall on the surface. Skin forms in 15 min, dries in 1 hour and cures in 24 hours.

I had a chance to see some of #4 cylinder wall from underneath; it did look nice and shiny. Phew.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
[B]I did it today.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:04 AM

can anyone tell me where to buy this? am i correct in saying that these new bolts will lube the motor more efficiently than the old bolts?

thanks,
Q
Old 10-06-2002, 11:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Prolene
I was despairing of thinking I had to remove the timing chain to remove the oil pump (only way to remove that pump) in order to squarely start #1 bolt, as it was difficult with the flex fitting.
The instructions from Honda (in Europe) specify using a flex shaft which is what I used. It still took awhile to get it bent at the right angle and get the bolt started cleanly. I don't know if I could have done it with just a flex fitting.. you must have a good touch.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

The instructions from Honda (in Europe) specify using a flex shaft which is what I used. It still took awhile to get it bent at the right angle and get the bolt started cleanly. I don't know if I could have done it with just a flex fitting.. you must have a good touch.
Is a flex shaft like a 'universal joint' type coupling? That is what I used between the 10mm socket and 8" extension. I looked for a spring type shaft at Sears but didn't see anything like it.

I learned not to press hard when trying to get the bolt started (I flattened end threads very slightly the first one I tried. Fortunately it was still useable in another cylinder). Very gentle pressure and trying different bolt angles while twisting finally did the trick.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[B]Is a flex shaft like a 'universal joint' type coupling?
Old 10-06-2002, 03:35 PM

Those pics of the flex shaft should help those planning the installation themselves. Good!

The 'universal joint' type of fitting I used might tend to bend completely over when trying to place the bolt.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:10 AM

[B]Those pics of the flex shaft should help those planning the installation themselves.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by vapors2k

exactly, I still can't believe how you did it Al, wow. Now if you could be around when I get my spare pan back with baffling so I can finally swap out the bolts.
Give me a call and I'll help with that bolt exchange.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:39 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Prolene,

Are you willing to come out to Chicago to help us out as well?

Quick Reply: Oil bolt replacement.