S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car back from service, TSB 02-046? and rear pop note?

Old 11-24-2002, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
Here's the story...
I took my car into Keys Woodland Hills Honda for a variety of things.
1) Oil Change
2) Convertible not latching correctly, hence air leak over drivers side area over 75mph
3) Spark plug recall
4) Deceleration noise from 3rd or 2nd gear.
5) Transmission problem? Notchy gears, hard to get into 5th, 2nd, 1st or reverse.
6) Rear end pop/click noise when neutral to start forward motion or reverse motion. Basically, when starting out in 1st, I'd hear a short clicking noise from the rear or when I stop and then go into reverse, same thing. Anything to do with an initial force to the driveline, there's a couple of audible clicks or pops then goes away.

Conclusion/results,
1) Cost me $26.95 (thanks to 10% off Honda Club membership)
2) Adjusted convertible, no air leak anymore.
3) Replaced spark plugs
4) Performed TSB 00-054 (I pretty much think everyone knows about this one already).
5) Performed TSB 02-046 (This is new that I didn't know about and not in s2ki.com faq list of service bulletins). Sorry if this was a known bulletin to everyone before and this is a repost but I never heard of this one yet. Maybe this supersedes TSB55? Pics of bulletin down below.
6) Performed "NOTE" from Honda for solution. Basically replace spindle nut on axle and torque to 220 lb-ft. Didn't know about this "NOTE" either. Pics of NOTE below.

I'm glad to say that they fixed everything intended and only charged me for the oil change. It took them 2-3 days to do.

TSB 02-046 and rear axle pop/creak NOTE was completely unexpected to me. I've never heard of these findings before and they are not in the list of service bulletins on this site.

Anybody else knew about these before?

TSB 02-046:

Rear axle pops or creaks:

Steve
Old 11-25-2002, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It almost sounds like you have my car. I need to get (1), (4), and (6- for the 3rd time) done to my car. So according to the TSB 00-054, they replaced your clutch disc?

Thanks
Kim
Old 11-25-2002, 08:47 PM

Thanks for this post. I've heard the popping sound coming from the back of my car.

It's happened twice. I've forgotten the circumstances surrounding the 1st occurrence. The last time it happened, I was moving forward. For that reason, my case doesn't match the bulletin but I'll be sure to ask the dealer next time it's in for service.

Wonder what happens if the condition isn't treated? There's always a risk when somebody takes your car apart.

Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought that popping sound was junk in my trunk but apparently it's something legit. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-26-2002, 10:31 AM

I just did the same thing yesterday, myself to get rid of the shifter ringing. I see Honda is calling this procedure TSB 02-046 and it's for a different problem also, but the same fix. That's interesting.

BTW, when I pulled the shifter out and cleaned everything up, I noticed that the "pivot cover" was broken in two different places and is on the verge of becoming two separate pieces. This is a small nylon bearing that carries the full weight of the shifter when changing gears. It has three slits in it to give it a measure of flexibility so that it can snap onto the ball end of the shifter and that's where it is breaking. One of the three slits has broken completely through and another is about halfway through. I ordered one from the local dealer today and it's a $2 part.

By doing this cleanup and regreasing, moving the shifter is like moving a hot knife through butter. It made the gear changes a lot slicker and smoother. An unexpected benefit.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:31 PM

cool, will do 02-046 at next oil change...
Old 11-26-2002, 10:07 PM

boiler,

How many miles do you have on your car?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:59 PM

Oh My God! ...I've been trying to find out the popping noise for 3 months. The last time I took it in I spoke to the Honda Technician who said he would try and do some research to find out what the noise is in 1st and reverse gears, and I said I'd check this site for any info. So far I was thinking it was a bit of wear in the 'CV joint coupling' (which may still be a cause ....but I'll check this one out first).

I'm having a central locking solenoid replaced in my drivers door this week so I can go with all the information to hand and they can sort the knocking noise.
The car started making this noise around 24k and now I'm on 27500 miles.

I love this site ...Thanks Socal28!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by spider
boiler,

How many miles do you have on your car?

Thanks.
Spider, I have 21,942 miles on it.

As a side note, when the new pivot cover came in and I replaced it, it broke as soon as I snapped it onto the shift lever! I can't believe it, has anyone else had a problem with this little nylon piece?

Bob
Old 12-04-2002, 11:24 AM

is this pop noise a "pop" or more of a "thud"...

cuz my car likes to make a thud noise right when i engage 1st gear...right at the resistance point. when moving forward. i haven't tried it moving backward yet.

Quick Reply: Car back from service, TSB 02-046? and rear pop note?