Inland Empire S2000 Owners Riverside, San Bernardino and Palm Springs area S2000 owners discussions and happenings

Anyone have a stock exhaust I could borrow around Temecula/Murrieta area?

Old 09-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a stock exhaust I could borrow around Temecula/Murrieta area?

Long story short,

Got a fix it ticket for having a loud exhaust and have to take it to a smog Ref to sign off for the noise.

I'm running a Greddy Spectrum Elite Dual Burnt Tip exhaust, but supposedly all Greddy exhausts are compliant with California Decibel laws.
But I'd rather not risk it and get a stock exhaust to get signed off for.

Unless someone else just recommends I take it to a smog Ref with my Greddy, but I have no idea how much decibels it will produce.

If anyone's gone through this fix it ticket before, could you tell me what steps you took to resolve this issue?
I'll be willing to buy the exhaust as well.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I have one FS if you need to buy one (100$), im about 35 mins south of you. Just wondering how you got pulled over...but were you accelerating hard? The greddy SE is almost stock like while cruising, im surprised he pulled you over...
Old 09-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Plan:
I guess my plan now is going to a smog ref to have them check how loud my exhaust is. If it's over California law, I'll have to figure out how to pick up your exhaust.
Previously had the Invidia N1 dual, and that sucker was way to loud and drony. Purchased the S with the N1 on it and bought the Greddy because it was quieter, no drone.

Story:
I was heading home on Winchester and there was one of those newer Subaru Hatchbacks with a loud can driving next to me.
A cop pulled out behind both of us after passing Chaparal High School and followed us.

Unfortunately for me, the Subaru happened to pull off from Winchester and the cop continued to follow me.

On my way home down Winchester there's a a mini uphill with a 10-14% gradient.

My S is a stock AP1, so its difficult for my car to go 55mph (Speed Limit) up that hill in 6th and I dropped it to 5th and half way up the hill got lit up.

The cop was nice, told me he didn't know who's car was the loud one, but because the other person pulled off, he continued to follow me down Winchester.

Also had me open my hood to check for any illegal modifications and went on to explain to me that my exhaust is "illegal".
He shined a light inside the exhaust and told me that your not suppose to see all the way through the exhaust and that someone must have removed something inside the exhaust?
I have no idea what he was looking for inside the exhaust.

And then went on to tell me that the Riverside area is doing a major crack down on any loud cars for illegal racing.
This all happened around 11pm.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM

that sucks! keep us updated on your situation...do you have the se v1 or v2 resonated?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 PM

I think I have the V1, I purchased it used from another S2000 owner where it doesn't have the gotuning stamp, but I have no idea.

Update:
Took the car to a smog ref, had to schedule an appointment. The process took about 30 minutes, and I passed.
The S2000 with the Greddy exhaust got rated at 94 decibels, California Law states that anything above 95 decibels is illegal.

The smog ref gave me some paperwork to fill out and a certificate/receipt and stuck a certified inspection sticker on the original ticket.
It cost $108 for the paperwork for the assessment.
I was told that you only have to pay if the car passes the test, otherwise sound testing is free if you have your ticket.

Plan:
The only thing left to do is go to the court house and pay a $25 fee for the ticket. Tried to do it earlier today, but apparently the ticket isn't in the database yet.
So now the only thing I have to do is wait until it's in the database and go to the clerk's office and pay the fee.

If you guys have any questions about the process and how to resolve it, feel free to message me.

I was also told, it's up to the discrepancy of the officer as to whether or not your car is to loud. I could still get another ticket if he/she thinks its too loud,
but I could possible get it dismissed by showing the officer the certificate. But its up to the officer's discretion.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 PM

thats good to know, thanks for the detailed update, and if in fact you do have a "greddy" stamp on the exhaust tip, you do have the V1, possibly one of the VERY VERY first few that were made with that stamp. After the first few were made they still continued with the V1 but with the gotuning logo on the tip. After a two years or so the V2 came out with the "gotuning" logo on the tip but it was redesigned internally with an additional helmholtz resonator just after the cat.