S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Sun damage to one of my seats

Old 06-26-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sun damage to one of my seats

There is sun damage to one of my seats - leather has lost its surface - any ideas on what to do ?

Old 07-16-2019, 05:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I heard of a heat gun with a nice conditioner should bring this back to life. I’m no expert so do your research first
Old 07-16-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is definitely time to take better care of your leather because that is some neglected leather. I would avoid using a heat gun to accelerate the process and just give it the proper time and effort that is required for a proper job.

Just like giving a Ribeye steak a good rub down with salt, use your hands. Work in the conditioner with clean hands and give it time to soak in before wiping down five minutes later. In this condition you could do this twice a week for a month before returning to a single treatment per month, assuming your in and out of this car almost daily. My general rule of thumb is that less is more but if its soaking it up pretty good during the first treatment feel free to indulge a little.

Consider the following : Honda 08700-9209 12 fl. oz, 1 Pack Leather and Vinyl Protectant.
I use 303 products across the board but their more or less the same so get whatever premium product is available to you and get to work.

Last edited by bradyn; 07-16-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:42 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

The few leather pieces that are on the seats are actually leather bonded with plastic. Standard stuff from auto makers in Asia is not "real" leather as it is bonded to plastic for automotive use. Only the higher end European autos have the real deal with top grain leathers.

In addition the S2000 has vinyl trimmed leather seats. I believe only the perforated portions of our seats are leather and everything else is vinyl.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Not having UV blocker protection for your seats is like driving the S2000 for hours naked in the sun and without sun screen.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
The few leather pieces that are on the seats are actually leather bonded with plastic. Standard stuff from auto makers in Asia is not "real" leather as it is bonded to plastic for automotive use. Only the higher end European autos have the real deal with top grain leathers.

In addition the S2000 has vinyl trimmed leather seats. I believe only the perforated portions of our seats are leather and everything else is vinyl.
your referring to pleather yeah?

regardless, leather conditioner and a protector is fine.

Cleaner alone will still dry the seats out, and maybe thats what this wear pattern is partially from, drying out and then UV damage on dry fibers.