Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Bought my dream car as a young student! My first S2000!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by AckCasual
I plan to track the car so 100% of my focus begins with maintenance and reliability mods. This means taking care of every preventative thing I can. I might hold off for a bit before doing ap2 valve retainers because I want to spend the couple hundred on the nice tools for the job. I will check them out this weekend when I do my valve adjustment anyway. So i'm assuming I don't have to worry about the oil jet bolts because i'm an 03?
Nope, you're all set on the jet bolts! Mine is an 02 and I'm not gonna play around with the engine S/N lottery, so I'll go in there to see when I'm doing my retainers, etc. I'm not sure if the axle nut TSB applies here or not too, but I'd look into that as well.

Seems like you got your priorities straight. I wish I had a better place to work on my car, but I'll just bring it to Bill and have him knock it all out for me. I'd feel better if he did it than if I did it myself.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
Nope, you're all set on the jet bolts! Mine is an 02 and I'm not gonna play around with the engine S/N lottery, so I'll go in there to see when I'm doing my retainers, etc. I'm not sure if the axle nut TSB applies here or not too, but I'd look into that as well.

Seems like you got your priorities straight. I wish I had a better place to work on my car, but I'll just bring it to Bill and have him knock it all out for me. I'd feel better if he did it than if I did it myself.
Already on it, over torqued the rear axle nuts (thank god for air impact guns). Yeah lucky I am blessed with a father who did auto body for 15 years and have access to a garage full of snap-on tools. I prob wouldn't have been able to get the car if I had to buy tools over the years, so I can thank pops for that one.

This car seems so perfect because it has the performance of really high end cars but also feels no different than working on an old 90s civic. Super DIY friendly.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 PM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

I plan to track the car so 100% of my focus begins with maintenance and reliability mods. This means taking care of every preventative thing I can. I might hold off for a bit before doing ap2 valve retainers because I want to spend the couple hundred on the nice tools for the job. I will check them out this weekend when I do my valve adjustment anyway. So i'm assuming I don't have to worry about the oil jet bolts because i'm an 03?
Ah I see, yeah your goals are quite different than mine. If you fully intend on tracking the car, I agree with upgrading the TCT just because.

Looking forward to your progress man!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Ah I see, yeah your goals are quite different than mine. If you fully intend on tracking the car, I agree with upgrading the TCT just because.

Looking forward to your progress man!
Thank you! I really appreciate the encouragement.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:38 AM

Thank you! I really appreciate the encouragement.
Can we request that you post your progress? We'd love to see and learn from your DIY, issues, or curious findings.

One side note about the black wheels. I'm not a fan of black wheels in general, whether it's on a brand new BMW M4, S2000, or any car. I had powdercoated a set of wheels on my Mazdaspeed 3 gunmetal. They looked DAMN good for like a week after washing. But as soon as the shine wears off and brake dust kicks in, the dark colored wheels made the rest of my car look really dirty.

It's just a personal taste. But FYI in case you never had dark colored wheels before.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Can we request that you post your progress? We'd love to see and learn from your DIY, issues, or curious findings.

One side note about the black wheels. I'm not a fan of black wheels in general, whether it's on a brand new BMW M4, S2000, or any car. I had powdercoated a set of wheels on my Mazdaspeed 3 gunmetal. They looked DAMN good for like a week after washing. But as soon as the shine wears off and brake dust kicks in, the dark colored wheels made the rest of my car look really dirty.

It's just a personal taste. But FYI in case you never had dark colored wheels before.
Yeah I agree, i'm pretty set on rpf1s with the normal silver color. I think yellow with black accents and silver wheels just looks so damn good after looking at some picture.

Also yeah maybe I will start a build thread that I can slowly add to as the car progresses.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:23 AM

Yeah I agree, i'm pretty set on rpf1s with the normal silver color. I think yellow with black accents and silver wheels just looks so damn good after looking at some picture.

Also yeah maybe I will start a build thread that I can slowly add to as the car progresses.
This.

I for one will be adding a set of red lug nuts to match the my red painted calipers. And I'm perfectly ok with the look of the current 16's AP1 wheels on my car. The only wheel option I am considering is a set of AP2v1 because I want to fit a wider contact patch on the rear. I don't mind the OEM wheel options, they flow so well with the rest of the car.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:22 AM

This.

I for one will be adding a set of red lug nuts to match the my red painted calipers. And I'm perfectly ok with the look of the current 16's AP1 wheels on my car. The only wheel option I am considering is a set of AP2v1 because I want to fit a wider contact patch on the rear. I don't mind the OEM wheel options, they flow so well with the rest of the car.
I totally agree. I think AP1 wheels are extremely good looking and really do fit the car, I just want more tire and to fit 255 or 245s. Also some spoon blue accents look amazing with the yellow, I really want the spoon bbk.

White and red also look really good together, if I had a white one I would go full type r ricer and get all the red accents and white wheels. Grand Prix White and Laguna Blue are def my favorite colors.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the gang bang. *presents complimentary giant wing* We need to assert our dominance on the miatas.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Congrats and welcome to the gang bang. *presents complimentary giant wing* We need to assert our dominance on the miatas.
Amen to that! This ain't no miata and yes, the big wang is on the list.

Quick Reply: Bought my dream car as a young student! My first S2000!