Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Hello from NJ! Newly Joined the Club!

Old 05-07-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hello from NJ! Newly Joined the Club!

Hello All,

My name is Mike and I've been researching for about a year and pulled the trigger suddenly on Saturday on a 2006 Laguna Blue Pearl S2000. I'd been using Autolist to track units and prices, and an alert popped up this AM on a new posting 15 miles from my house. Single owner, clean Carfax with 112,000 miles. Pictures looked good, and the price was in the range I was looking for - $15,900. Went down this AM at 10 and looked it over - it's in GREAT condition, all 10 VINs with no body work and zero mods - all stock. No rust or corrosion underneath either, so obviously never driven in the winter. It was too good to be true - right price, the color I was looking for, great condition, etc. Took it for a test drive and it's flawless. Almost zero rattles, etc. Negotiated down to $15,200 and wrote the deal. I've never made a purchase like this so quickly, but I knew I had to jump on it - It was only on the lot for 3 days, and as I was leaving, a guy waved me down and said I beat him to it. :-)

It was originally purchased in area and had a good amount of records from the local Honda dealer. Small issues (in my eyes): Driver's seat shows some wear, but no holes or anything - nothing some reconditioning couldn't fix or some new covers. Seat bolster is a little beaten, but no where like I would expect on one with this many miles. If I end up replacing the seat covers, I'll rebuild the bolster. And there's two small tears in the top, but the top is otherwise in good shape. Paint has a few nicks, but that's expected for the mileage, but I'll be replacing the elastic straps. Interior almost looks like showroom - even the mats are in great shape.

I couldn't believe how all of the checkboxes just fell into place. Have to get the normal things done - full fluid changes all around and a valve adjustment. Brakes are in good shape - 4mm on the rears and 6mm on the fronts. Tires are summers, but mismatched - but the rears will need to be replaced but the end of the season. It handles well, but I tell their mismatched. It's obviously been loved and well cared for. I plan to do zero mods at this point as I really want to keep it stock. It's a weekend car - I'm at an age and point in my life where I could just write a check for it and not sweat it.

I posted a while back about my impressions on a first drive of a fairly hammered model. Funny - the one I bought ended up being almost the same year, same color, but what a difference! I've been driving it for the past few days, and I'm beside myself. It has to be one of the most finely crafted machines on the planet. The shifting... handling... acceleration. Just... wow. I want to just drive it all day long. It's like a life-size go-cart.

If you could see my grin :-) So happy to be part of the club!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats! I do recall reading your post thinking wth but seems you've come around. I'm of the opinion you picked the right year and generation but might be biased a tad. Seems you got a fair price and I love the color.

Outside of the fluid flush I'd highly recommend a tire mod i.e. getting some high performance matches summer tires on and drive as I'm sure you've planned.

Last thing....not sure what part of NJ you're from but cars in that region when left outside tend to disappear.

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 05-07-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, Lookstoomuch. I'm changing all fluids around (except brakes, which I'll do when I do a brake job at the end of the season). There are decent summers on the car, but I'll be replacing the rears to match the fronts. They are almost worn anyway. It's definitely a much different car to drive than anything I've driven before - there's a kind of sharp oversteer effect when accelerating in a turn and shifting (like when making a left turn, accelerating and shifting mid-turn). Takes getting used to.

As for location, I live in an extremely rural area far off the road (like 300 feet), but it won't be left in the wild anyway. I am almost paranoid it might disappear.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by datadr
and as I was leaving, a guy waved me down and said I beat him to it. :-)!
Fukr was probably just gonna flip it anyway.