Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Hi all - potential newbie s2k owner.. if you can persuade me! ;)

Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all - potential newbie s2k owner.. if you can persuade me! ;)

Hi all,

Im a future potential s2k owner, so thought I’d register on here and find out from the “horses mouth” so to speak (not calling any of you horses by the way haha)

I’m from Hampshire in England, UK, and potentially looking to get a pre-2006 S2k as a second car / project (small) car to tinker with and enjoy. I’ll be honest and say that the s2k wasn’t first on my list and I’m still considering a mk4 supra, rx7, s15 Silvia to name a few. However, having already owned a supra and not being overly confident that the others are sensible choices, I find myself here to reach out to the experts who will hopefully help me in my decision making.

Ive always been a boosted (Turbo) car owner, and never really NA or at least not vtec. The wife has a civic 1.8 (not type r) which is OK for a daily but not much fun otherwise. I feel I should at least test drive an s2000 and see how I get on with it - I read everywhere that it’s the drivers car of choice and great fun - hopefully you can confirm this?

In contract to my previous comment though, I’ve just sold my mk1 mx5 with pop-up headlights. It was a great project car, I spent a year doing maintenance and upgrade jobs to it and loved every minute but felt that it lacked a bit of oomph, 140bhp was half of the power my Skoda vrs had. (My daily driver)

So, I sold the mx5, have the Octavia up for sale and am going to take the wife’s civic as my commuting car. I’m then going to throw the rest of the money at the s2k.

im concerned that there isn’t much way to get extra power from it without an SC or FI. However, having not driven one I’m not sure if I’d be content with the power as stock. Any tips here folks?

The other thing I’m looking for is a community - regular/local meets or events if possible, although my family life (and 2yr old daughter) take priority it’d be great to get back down to Japfest and similar events. Perhaps even a track day or two as well?

so, can you convince me an s2k is the right car for me? If it helps, I’d have a sensible budget of £11-12k for the initial purchase. Research tells me I’d get a pretty good facelift AP1 with low ish mileage for that?

cheers all, look forward to talking and meeting some of you perhaps!
Paul
Old 10-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Welcome
Old 10-07-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've heard say that below vtec, the S is like a Civic in town. Which is fine with me. Don't need SC or turbo in the city. When vtec kicks in, you'll need to be on track or an open motorway.
If you get an S newer enough, you can tune the ecu to come on sooner than 6,800 rpm
It depends on what you want to do, and how you are going to drive it, whether boosting is in your future.
I suggest that if you get a S2K, you learn how to drive it prior to boosting it. It is no MX5.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome