Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Looking to buy a S2k in New England - advice?

Old 06-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I got an AP1 just because it was such a good deal but I really really want a LBP AP2 with oem hard top. I’m still shopping for the perfect one and if I find it I can pounce on it and sell my AP1 and probably make some money on the deal and I can still have fun driving one in the meantime.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Price is stupid high IMO. For reference, I bought an 06 LBP this time last year at 86k-ish for 12k. I got an incredible deal and mine wasn't without flaws. It was 10 VIN, no accidents and pretty good shape overall. You could explain more what you're looking for but regardless I think it's high. Are you looking for a near pristine car that you drive sparingly and easily or something to drive hard?

Currently, 06+ are the highest priced cars. They are the rarest sub-generation as far as I know and the objective "best" cars, especially for light mods/bolt-ons. Building into something crazy is a different story. As stated, 06+ LBP and GPW cars seem to command the most money/desire. I would think that in the near future, prices start to even out between years and go on condition/mileage. The car is starting to show its age against the competition at track days and autocrosses in the way that it is not as "fast" against the competition as it once was. That being said, I'd speculate that in the long run, good condition AP1's will be the most valuable. They do offer an experience that not much, if anything, short of an exotic can with that high revving engine and snappy drivetrain. Total speculation but we'll see where it goes.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Price is stupid high IMO. For reference, I bought an 06 LBP this time last year at 86k-ish for 12k. I got an incredible deal and mine wasn't without flaws. It was 10 VIN, no accidents and pretty good shape overall. You could explain more what you're looking for but regardless I think it's high. Are you looking for a near pristine car that you drive sparingly and easily or something to drive hard?

Currently, 06+ are the highest priced cars. They are the rarest sub-generation as far as I know and the objective "best" cars, especially for light mods/bolt-ons. Building into something crazy is a different story. As stated, 06+ LBP and GPW cars seem to command the most money/desire. I would think that in the near future, prices start to even out between years and go on condition/mileage. The car is starting to show its age against the competition at track days and autocrosses in the way that it is not as "fast" against the competition as it once was. That being said, I'd speculate that in the long run, good condition AP1's will be the most valuable. They do offer an experience that not much, if anything, short of an exotic can with that high revving engine and snappy drivetrain. Total speculation but we'll see where it goes.
1) thats an insanely low price as you cant even find a decent ap1 for that price.
2) prices of s2ks have done up considerably in the last year
3) back to whoever sold you your s2k either knows something you don't about that car, or they didn't know what they had, a 2006 lbp with 80k miles would never sell below 20k right now without a major defect
The following users liked this post:
CTSV (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

For reference, I bought an 06 LBP this time last year at 86k-ish for 12k. I got an incredible deal and mine wasn't without flaws. It was 10 VIN, no accidents and pretty good shape overall.
(Emphasis added.) But I don't know the flaws you didn't mention. Seats, roof, paint? Aftermarket wheels? Suspension and fenders buggered? Test pipe or very loud exhaust? Snow tires? All those detract from the value for me anyway. But for $12K I might be able to overlook some things.

Price exceptions occur all the time. Much depends on how bad the buyer wants the car which may lead to a higher sales price or how bad the seller wants to get rid of the car for whatever reason. Keep in mind these cars have all been discarded by at least one previous owner.

-- Chuck
Old 06-02-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jub

Lol you are crazy out of touch with the current market for s2ks.
Like others have said what you just described an 06 LBP with 80k miles is going for $19-22k at this point...
i would pay you $15k cash right now for your car no questions asked lol.

Literally any clean title AP1 even regardless of miles is going for $10k+ these days.
There are even tons of salvage title cars for $12k+!

Unless there is a significant recession soon I don’t see the values going anywhere but up.
I actually hope we see a big correction in the stock market soon and a small recession so I can scoop up a nice car at a discount.
The following users liked this post:
ragtophardtop (06-08-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:28 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

As others have alluded to “points of reference” aren’t of as much value without further details. In this case providing details about the flaws that were present would be helpful. Keep in mind that one person’s “clean” might mean a truly turnkey car in near mint condition. More details from the OP about the car being considered would no doubt also be helpful.

The question that I would ask @Jub is if you found that you had to replace your S2000 tomorrow, would you be able to find another one just like the one that you bought last year for $12K?

The way I see it, the price that I paid for my S2000 has little relevance to what someone might expect to pay today for an equivalent car. I have my S insured with Hagerty. The agreed value amount that they will pay out in the event of a total loss is not determined by what I originally paid for the car, but rather what I might expect to pay to replace the car with another just like it today. That value is certainly more than what I originally paid for the car just two years ago.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
(Emphasis added.) But I don't know the flaws you didn't mention. Seats, roof, paint? Aftermarket wheels? Suspension and fenders buggered? Test pipe or very loud exhaust? Snow tires? All those detract from the value for me anyway. But for $12K I might be able to overlook some things.

Price exceptions occur all the time. Much depends on how bad the buyer wants the car which may lead to a higher sales price or how bad the seller wants to get rid of the car for whatever reason. Keep in mind these cars have all been discarded by at least one previous owner.

-- Chuck
I'm pretty picky overall but accepting that I like to drive mine so I'm not looking for perfection. I notice the flaws but have gotten better about not letting them get me down. An older guy owned it who retired to his boat, drove it down a gravel road, covered it. Therefore, lots of swirl marks. It'll clean up nicely once I can finally polish it. Looks pretty good with just wax. Nothing aftermarket at all. Driver side carpet ripped on the hump in front of the seat. Dash has a few scratches, nothing crazy. Soft top was installed by an idiot but relatively new. The corners just don't look right and I had to get a new rail on the back and some new plastics for the rear tray that the installer messed up. It had a non-oem oil filter on it. Passenger seat had a tear. 06+ seats just don't seem to hold up well. The most egregious thing was that the PO insisted it needed a luggage rack on the trunk to make it a proper roadster. The paint on the top of the lid polished up but it did leave an unpainted spot on each side where the rack clamped to the trunk. They're really only in the rain channel of the trunk where the lid closed on top of the metal clamps. It's almost unnoticeable with the lid closed. I'll put some touch-up paint on it to seal up the metal and it'll be 99% hidden by my trunk. It was dusty underneath which has been cleaned up but not driven in winters and no abnormal rust. Compression and leakdown were checked recently and were perfect.

Anyways, I think my deal was unlikely. To the guy calling me out of touch, take my example with a grain of salt. I know it's a bit of an outlier but I think that, with some patience, a car like mine at 15k can happen. It won't be perfect and won't be a collector. I just don't see paying 20k+ for one with over 50k miles let alone 70k. That's nutty to me and I don't think the current market fully supports 22k for 75k miles. If it does, good for all of us owners I guess?

Out of touch is a bit strong. I know that market value for my car was probably 16k+ the day I bought it if it were just cleaned up. My point was, if OP wants a mint condition car, I think that 22-23k can get you a 40-50k miler in great shape just about any time. If you're patient, you can find better deals. If you don't need a perfect condition car, I think you can shop at 15-kish for a 75k mile car and get a really nice example. I think the original question needs some more clarity for what OP is looking for. IMO, 15k can get you a very nice driving example (75k-ish miles) with some cosmetic flaws.

Originally Posted by GuthNW

The question that I would ask @Jub is if you found that you had to replace your S2000 tomorrow, would you be able to find another one just like the one that you bought last year for $12K?
Fair points overall. Nope, I couldn't find that deal again. That's not exactly my point here. I did sell my 112k mile AP1 for 11k that had less flaws than my AP2. That buyer also got a pretty good deal but a clean AP1 is do-able for my 12k number. You guys also need to factor list price vs. actual price. Cars listed at 22k likely sell under that number. 20k is still high to me for that car but that's just my opinion. I think most 75k 08's ask between 18k and 20k out of the gate.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input!

The color of the car was: Chicane Silver

I wouldn’t say that the car is pristine condition (interior leather shows mild wear). The soft top in good condition except for a few fraying edges. It seems like at the 22.8 price, it’s decent to accept if the car is in pristine condition. Although I think its not quite at that “I have to grab this one” status.

The best things I can see are:

Never tracked, always garaged, almost completely bone stock (upgraded intake, upgraded tires).

I think I’d be willing to settle on 20k but, judging from the area, the 08 models seem to fetch a premium. Enough so that I’m questioning if the premium is worth it? It seems like 04ish era models can be substantially less <20k for the same mileage.

Surprisingly I haven’t heard back from the dealer even so much as a follow up. I left the discussion at “you’ll need to come down on the price a bit”, but from what I’ve heard from others who dealt with the dealer in the past, the generally price pretty fairly and as a result are very reluctant to budge on pricing.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

It will be tough to get them to budge since this is prime time selling season.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

2008 and Chicane Silver?! Extremely desirable. You'll be forever sorry if you miss out on this car just due to a few dollars. Dealer will sell this car at this price to someone which is why he isn't calling you.

The 2006 and later cars are DBW and a generation better than the '04 and '05 cars. You'll be stunned at the increased power a FlashPro tune will provide that's unavailable without a lot of hassle on anything earlier. 2007 cars also got the most attractive wheels in my opinion. I'd fit them but they're not "correct" on my '06.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a S2k in New England - advice?