Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Looking to buy a S2k in New England - advice?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Lower mileage car but an example of pricing: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...icing-1194610/

And Chicane Silver is indeed a rare color.
Levi
Old 06-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the additional insight.

Just to confirm, this car is indeed chicane silver right? The color name is not listed by the dealer or the autocheck report I ran. For reference this car has a 95 autocheck score. Are these numbers reliable?

If this the rare chicane color. How much of a premium should this increase the market price?

Apologies for all the questions, this is my first time looking at a used car.

thanks!

Old 06-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I have never seen the Chicane silver in person but that would appear to be the color of this car. When I have seen photos of the Chicane Silver and the Silverstone side by side I actually prefer the Silverstone color myself regardless of it being more common. The premium people are willing to pay for certain colors varies but it can run into four figures. For those in search of rare colors the other big issue is actually locating a car in that color for sale. Because of that, unless the car is truly overpriced they tend to sell very quickly. So you have to really desire that color to deal with those potential downsides.

i would point out that based on what I can make out in the photo those are not the original wheels. They appear to be the AP2v2 wheels that came on these cars in 2006 and 2007. There were other changes made in 2008 including the seats. I would want to know whether or not those are still original.

When it comes to this car you are in a bit of a tough spot as a buyer without having more knowledge about these cars, especially as the 2008 - 2009 cars tend to command the highest prices generally speaking. That is not to say that all of us find them the most desirable however. For example there are plenty here who would not own anything other an AP1 car. There are also those of us who specifically wanted a first generation AP2 car (2004 - 2005) for a variety of reasons.

it’s hard to imagine someone not having fun with any S2000 regardless of the year model. But having more knowledge and knowing more specifically what you yourself might prefer to own is always helpful before you buy a S2000 or any car for that matter. Good luck with whatever you end up deciding to do.
The following users liked this post:
CTSV (06-04-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Something not quite right here.

If this "2008" car is really an '06 or '07 then the wheels on it are correct. They're not for an '08. The '08 wheels are so rare it's hard to imagine anyone fitting '06/'07 wheels to a 2008 car unless something happened to the originals such as fitting after market wheels and cobbling the suspension for them to fit.

And if the car is really '06 or '07 (as indicated by the wheels) then it can't be Chicane Silver unless it's a repaint which drops it from top tier pricing. Chicane is called Moon Rock outside North America and is the darkest of the silvers with Sebring being the lightest and Silverstone in the middle.

The red Civic badge on the front ain't OE either. The white side turn signals are at least Honda JDM but not original. Can you sent or link the rest of the photos and the VIN (or state tag number)?

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 06-03-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM

I asked the dealer about the wheels and they were not able to provide any details. The car was received as is. I ran the vin associated with the car and it is indeed a 08 model. Perhaps the owner kept the wheels himself.

I was told they owned the car for 19.5 and are willing to provide documentation to support the value.

This is the vehicle:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6462/overview/

Thanks,
Old 06-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Thanks. Looked at the photos. Certainly not a 100% car without the proper wheels but if you can get the AP2V3 wheels the AP2V2 on the car are valuable in themselves. I purchased my car with aftermarket wheels on it ( years ago) and was able to get correct wheels fairly quickly but they're harder to get these days. The lowering springs, though, concern me at this price.

Car has been lowered (Swift springs). Doubt it rides real well and these cars are low enough on the road for me.

Navigation system? Really?

Did not notice any photos of of the VIN tags. There should be 10.

-- Chuck
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck S:
CTSV (06-04-2019), lmaonnaise (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:42 PM

I have not yet been back to verify the 10 VINS (I would make sure theyre all there prior to signing anything). As for the springs, I guess I wasn't able to feel the road being overly harsh (to be honest it felt more or less like my frs I used to own in 2014)

Ultimately, they said that the best they would do is go to 22k flat. After I offered 20k and am currently contemplating a counter of 21k.

I'm not looking for the best deal in the world but I'd like to acquire one of these without a tremendous amount of hassle. He noted that at 20k sold, it would essentially be one of the (if not cheapest) 08s around this mileage being sold in the country. However, by the general vibe here, it still may not be worth it?

Thanks,
Old 06-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

For an 11 year old car it looks in great shape.
Levi
Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 PM

It will not take too much effort to make this a "real" '08, starting with finding the right wheels, badges, and suspension. You can drive until this happens but you're going to get tired of explaining the wheels to other S2000 drivers so I'd make this a priority. You: "No, it's a 2008." More interesting in some ways than buying the car in perfect "correct" condition.

-- Chuck
Old 06-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I just happen to have an excellent set of ap2v3 wheels not currently in use. Just sayin'.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a S2k in New England - advice?