Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New S2000 Owner saying Hello!

Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S2000 Owner saying Hello!

Hello everyone, I recently bought my father's S2000. It is a one owner car, bone stock outside of aftermarket speakers I replaced yesterday as the factory ones had lived a long life. 100% OEM outside of an aftermarket top, even replacement shocks, clutch, etc, are all OEM. I have modded various cars I have owned but this is the first car I intend to keep stock, or if I do mod, I would keep it to where I could go back to stock within a weekend, but no plans to mod.

Initially, I thought it would be a nice car to keep in the family, my first car was my grandfather's Jaguar XJ6 (1971) which I learned to work on with my father, starting at around 14 years old, then at 16 I drove it every day. Unfortunately, that car was never reliable even when new, I got far enough to experience how it should drive, but every step forward always ended up with something else going and a few steps back.

This S2000 has only been in my possession for about a week and find it to be a very nice car to drive regularly. I have driven it plenty over 18 years but never for more than a trip here or there. I am finding I actually love this car as a city car, it is so easy to park, I am used to a MT so it shifts and drives nicer than my Accord, my Accord has mild suspension mods (Eibach Prokit Springs, Pro Dampers, TL rear sway bar) and they are very similar in ride, only slightly harsh, less harsh than some newer, not so sporty cars.

Anyway, this will be a slow, minor restoration project for me. It runs well and has immaculate service records but showing it's age. It will need paint work, the original clear coat failed, the other side got hit so one side looks perfect, the other looks not so great. Needs a new soft top, though it has been replaced and has a glass rear window so it is fine in the summer, it does have a leak but I have covered parking. Interior is mostly good outside the seats, driver seat is cosmetically bad, passenger seat is fine for the age but not perfect. 152,000 miles so by no means not low mileage but serviced consistently by Honda, so I will be interested in how it holds up over time. Outside of the top rattling, it is very solid for the age/mileage, no squeaks, no other rattles, all bushing seem to be in good condition, etc. Really happy to have this in my possession because I suggested my father buying this car in 1999, he initially thought it would not be for him, went to buy an Accord or Camry, and feel in love instantly. He bought the first sold by the Walnut Creek, CA dealership. Ironically I have the same body style Accord he planned to buy which I never intended on keeping for this long but it's been a good car, just really slow.

Just wanted say hello, I imagine I will own this car for a long time, and wanted to get to know other S2k enthusiasts. No plans to do anything but drive in the near future, I am considering adding a simple stereo upgrade (which I may just pull out of my Accord) but other work will likely wait until I replace my Honda with an Acura TL wagon if I can find one.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Welcome What color? Nice intro.
Levi
Old 06-16-2018, 11:27 AM

The color is Silverstone Metallic (that is the darker silver correct?)

Old 06-18-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Great scenery in the pics. Looks like it isn't going to take a lot to get the car whipped into shape. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Great scenery in the pics. Looks like it isn't going to take a lot to get the car whipped into shape. Good luck.
Thank you, the scenery was not thought out, just the parking lot next door to me. Right now, I think paint work (only the passenger side fender/door/quarter need paint but a full respray is what I am thinking), top, and seats and I am pretty much good, then a few small things but I didn't intended on owning the car so my budget is non existent as I want to replace my Accord before I touch this. On one side, it's nice to not have to do much, on the contrary, nothing will be cheap so gratification will be delayed.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey nice s2000 ... one thing tho. The replacement roof is installed incorrectly. The rear bow straps are attached wrong (they are normaly added to glass window roof upgrade) or they are completely missing so rear bow goes to far forward.. thats why it looks so flabby near the top. If you leave it like this you risk ripping the new canvas...
Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by miloking
Hey nice s2000 ... one thing tho. The replacement roof is installed incorrectly. The rear bow straps are attached wrong (they are normaly added to glass window roof upgrade) or they are completely missing so rear bow goes to far forward.. thats why it looks so flabby near the top. If you leave it like this you risk ripping the new canvas...
Thank you for the information. The top has been on for many years so I hope it has not been damaged but I did seem some straps that didn't look right in the area you are talking about. However, I am unsure they in good enough condition to be adjusted, they seem very worn and fragile, but I will look it up. Fortunately, the top is probably 8-10 years old so I don't think it will rip, and it is not new at all, it needs replacement for other reasons (the rear seams are separating around the rear glass panel), which may have been caused but the same issue, but it hasn't been a problem until maybe the last year, I would have to talk to my father. That said, I only drive around the city so I think it will hold up until I can afford a new top, but I will see if I can get it tighter. I do find it makes a ton of noise at freeway speed, so this is very helpful as it seems that area may be flapping around, hopefully I can fix it with the straps I believe you are talking about. I will have to find an install guide but I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdDegree
Thank you for the information. The top has been on for many years so I hope it has not been damaged but I did seem some straps that didn't look right in the area you are talking about. However, I am unsure they in good enough condition to be adjusted, they seem very worn and fragile, but I will look it up. Fortunately, the top is probably 8-10 years old so I don't think it will rip, and it is not new at all, it needs replacement for other reasons (the rear seams are separating around the rear glass panel), which may have been caused but the same issue, but it hasn't been a problem until maybe the last year, I would have to talk to my father. That said, I only drive around the city so I think it will hold up until I can afford a new top, but I will see if I can get it tighter. I do find it makes a ton of noise at freeway speed, so this is very helpful as it seems that area may be flapping around, hopefully I can fix it with the straps I believe you are talking about. I will have to find an install guide but I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
There are two sets of straps to consider.. one set is the pair just above your head attached by rivets (flexible and probably stretched a bit by now). Another pair of straps are the ones holding the last roof bow to the rear of the car...and essentialy support the weight of the window. Those are the missing ones
Anyway if you are going to get new roof dont worry too much about it it wont get much worse...
Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by miloking
There are two sets of straps to consider.. one set is the pair just above your head attached by rivets (flexible and probably stretched a bit by now). Another pair of straps are the ones holding the last roof bow to the rear of the car...and essentialy support the weight of the window. Those are the missing ones
Anyway if you are going to get new roof dont worry too much about it it wont get much worse...
I haven't had a chance to look further but the ones you are talking about look like they probably were not properly installed. The others are stretched but I already found how to replace those. Even though it needs a new top, I have no idea on when I will actually get to it, I didn't plan on purchasing the car so I don't really have any budget but I feel the car is extremely loud on the freeway, and I suspect the top is the culprit. It also rattles a lot (which I recall doing so new, I did drive the car since new, just now the owner), but I have no idea if it was to the same extent or not. The car is actually more pleasant to drive with the top down, with the exception of freeway speed, and I don't actually like convertibles. I will look into it soon, I am considering a mild stereo upgrade and because I was a Hip Hop producer professionally for many years, this is actually the first car that does not have an upgraded sound system I have driven in almost 15 years.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdDegree
The car is actually more pleasant to drive with the top down, with the exception of freeway speed, and I don't actually like convertibles.
It's funny that you say that. I used to avoid convertibles when I was younger. I just didn't like something about them and I couldn't put my finger on it. I have wanted an S2000 since 2001 and finally got one this year since my situation is right (single, money situation and extra cars). I didn't initially think I would like driving a convertible because I hate wind noise, but the way this car just connects you to the road it feels like a whole different experience. That's exactly what I was looking for, something totally different than the other vehicles I drive. I very rarely have the top up on the S2000 unless it is blazing hot or I will be on the highway for more than 25 miles.

Quick Reply: New S2000 Owner saying Hello!