Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

San Francisco, Childhood dream fulfilled - Year 2000 S2000

Old 10-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
Call me retarded, but I'm not leaving mine stock because modifying stuff is fun, and I wanna make it go faster; increase the giggle factor. I was all set to do an AP2 front end conversion before I even got my car, but there's just something about the AP1 that grew on me....I feel like I see more AP2s than AP1s, and I find myself getting excited when I see another AP1 vs an AP2.....Having owned my car for a few months I wouldn't want an AP2, but I think generally people that buy ANY s2000 are more than satisfied and don't bother lusting over a different MY.
I'm hesitant on doing any mechanical modifications, unlike my Mazdaspeed 3 which has some mods thrown into it, I'm afraid of upsetting the overall balance of the S2000.

There were some obvious deficiencies with my Mazdaspeed 3, the S2000... I can't think of any at the moment and that's why I'm holding back on mechanical mods.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
That's funny that you say that. I don't see ANY S2000s in my neck of the woods. I live in an area where there are about 100k people in sister cities and I have only seen two other S2000s and one of them belongs to a friend of mine. The other one belongs to a guy about a mile away and is an exact twin of mine. If I drive down his street people wave at me thinking it is him. If there are more in my area I certainly haven't seen them but Iowa is not a great drop top state anyway.
There aren't that many S2000 around here either. You'd think the city life would yield more S2000 (young people and stuff), but no. They're not that plentiful here either.

That being said, manual cars in San Francisco is like finding a unicorn.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Don't worry, I had no idea what these were anyway!

I agree the 2004 and later face lift cars look better than the earlier versions but it's all cosmetic other than the wheels which are a real upgrade.

You can mitigate some oversteer with the CR-spec tire sizes on 17" AP1V1 wheels. Bridgestone S-04 tires (Max performance summer tires) in 215mm front and 255mm rear widths. Lower tire profile on 17" rims yields a stiffer sidewall with less squirm during cornering. Try these wheels and tires for several thousand miles before thinking you need to diddle with the suspension. The S-04 tires handle just as well as my former Dunlap star-specs or Bridgestone RE-11A tires. Since I'm not drifting corners or even getting tire squeal I must not drive as aggressively as my wife accuses me of driving.

- Chuck
Are the AP2v1 wheels wide enough to accommodate 255mm tires?

I've had the S-04 (Pole Position) tires before in my Mazdaspeed 3 before. DAMN good tires. I've never had the Michelin Pilot Super Sport so I can't compare, but so S-04 were the best tires I've ever tired, and they aren't PSS money. I may go back to those. For the moment, I want to use the remaining life of the current old tires to learn the car first. I've never had a RWD car before. So I'm going to find an empty parking lot, learn how to induce oversteer, and learn how to correct it.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you are just way over thinking this car, it’s not some all perfect, high end, super car that you’re going to upset the balance. It’s true that bolt on mods are a waste of time, unless you go forced induction you’re just wasting money. I did the UK mod to my exhaust because I enjoy the subtle tone. Other than that unless you want to go FI I wouldn’t touch the motor. Sure you can get a unicorn header for example, and have a small net gain. Is it a gain that manifests itself in actual speed, not really. It also has to be the absolute worst HP per dollar out there. Most people who own this car just enjoy name dropping brand names when it comes to bolt ons. I did get Ohlins for mine and upgrade brakes and tires, this made my car feel years ahead of the OEM stuff. Goodluck.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 AM

Something I want to add that actually made my purchase experience even better. You may not think it's a big deal, but it was such a pleasant surprise. Previous owner, if you're reading this, you know what I'm talking about.

When I showed up to meet the previous owner, he had the car on display. Shortly after, a BEAUTIFUL 03 Suzuka Blue rolled up next to us. All of us had a mutual admiration for both cars. The couple in the Suzuka Blue were an older married couple and it's just so cool to see even the elderly appreciate these cars.

I just thought that was cool, 4 random strangers admiring each other's cars.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Something I want to add that actually made my purchase experience even better. You may not think it's a big deal, but it was such a pleasant surprise. Previous owner, if you're reading this, you know what I'm talking about.

When I showed up to meet the previous owner, he had the car on display. Shortly after, a BEAUTIFUL 03 Suzuka Blue rolled up next to us. All of us had a mutual admiration for both cars. The couple in the Suzuka Blue were an older married couple and it's just so cool to see even the elderly appreciate these cars.

I just thought that was cool, 4 random strangers admiring each other's cars.
I told myself Suzuka blue was at the bottom of my list....and then one sold local to me, it was even in the intro thread, already SoS boosted and insanely clean, whole car was gone through, sitting on bronze CE28Ns....I think a properly done s2000 is beautiful in any color.....I think it sold for low to mid 20s already boosted and mint af....I would've scooped it up in a heartbeat if I had known it was for sale like that. I bar myself from certain colors but when I see them done right I lust over them....Only color I don't get that feeling for is silver, because it's so common, but clearly that's for a reason, everyone likes/liked silver s2ks....the color accentuates the body amazingly well, I've just never been a fan of silver on any car.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by S2kys
I told myself Suzuka blue was at the bottom of my list....and then one sold local to me, it was even in the intro thread, already SoS boosted and insanely clean, whole car was gone through, sitting on bronze CE28Ns....I think a properly done s2000 is beautiful in any color.....I think it sold for low to mid 20s already boosted and mint af....I would've scooped it up in a heartbeat if I had known it was for sale like that. I bar myself from certain colors but when I see them done right I lust over them....Only color I don't get that feeling for is silver, because it's so common, but clearly that's for a reason, everyone likes/liked silver s2ks....the color accentuates the body amazingly well, I've just never been a fan of silver on any car.
Suzuka Blue was on the bottom of my list as well. Not because of the Suzuka Blue color, but I don't know if I may get tired of the blue interior. Luckily, I wasn't tempted since I could not find a decent conditioned Suzuka Blue.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I'm gonna have to agree with the others in terms of embracing the AP1 qualities, everyone uogrades to AP2 stuff and it's seldom I even see AP1s or AP1s that still look like AP1s on the outside.

There's only one aesthetic I'm taking from an AP2, and it's the door panels - for the storage. But swapping in the AP1 door cards and door pulls(no silver rings).

The rest of the AP1 stuff.. wouldn't change it. AP1 center console actually holds a cup upright, the carpet tunnel your arm won't sweat and stick to. Don't really need the useless glovebox on the 06+ in the dash. Dead pedal would be a nice swap. Airbag... I like older airbag emblem.

To each their own though.. .
Wow, the thread starter of the most popular on the forum is chiming in on my thread?! Now I know I've made it.

Like I said, the look of the AP1 is REALLY growing on me. Everything looks just so right. I'd still want to swap out the front and rear bumpers because of the imperfections. I may just have to live with a car that doesn't have matching VIN numbers. AP2v1 is still on the agenda because I'd like a wider pavement contact.

Side question: Anyone here played Metal Gear Solid?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Wow, the thread starter of the most popular on the forum is chiming in on my thread?! Now I know I've made it.

Like I said, the look of the AP1 is REALLY growing on me. Everything looks just so right. I'd still want to swap out the front and rear bumpers because of the imperfections. I may just have to live with a car that doesn't have matching VIN numbers. AP2v1 is still on the agenda because I'd like a wider pavement contact.

Side question: Anyone here played Metal Gear Solid?
Switching to AP2 bumpers would make it look fancier, but give you no tactical advantage whatsoever.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I may just have to live with a car that doesn't have matching VIN numbers.
I wouldn't really worry about that too much. The only people who will freak out are purists or people on bringatrailer.com. As long as you have pictures of how the bumper covers were before they were replaced, that should be enough to mollify the doubters. I don't see it as a big deal but I would certainly ask WHY they were replaced and if the proof is there it would be enough for me as a buyer. Not that you will be selling it though.

Quick Reply: San Francisco, Childhood dream fulfilled - Year 2000 S2000