Jacksonville 1st Coast S2000 Owners

Local shops and parts recommendations

Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bscheckel
I just went to River City Powder Coatings to have my wheels powder coated. I was really impressed with the shop. They offer full wheel services. They not only powder coat, but can mount and balance new rubber, or put existing tires back on. They can also powder coat more than just wheels, if you're looking for some engine bay details or other accessories. They had a pair of brake calipers hanging in the lobby with a pearlescent blue finish. Looked great.

He's even letting me ship tires that he is not a dealer for, since he didn't have an agreement with Toyo finalized yet. Extremely nice people and low pressure. Guy I talked to, Dan, is in to road racing and said he likes to race Miatas. Relates well to S2000 owners.

He has the latest in tire mounting and balancing equipment. Has a Road Force balancer, and a tire mounting machine that doesn't drag the lip. Extremely important right after you just paid to have wheels powder coated.

They'll work up a full quote for services, but stock S2000 wheels were $70 a piece for blast, pretreat, and coat.

River City Powder Coatings
5149 Sunbeam Rd, STE 3
Jacksonville, FL 32257
904-238-7340
I spoke Dan at River City Powder Coatings today re: mounting new tires and balancing. I was impressed with Dan's knowledge and professionalism over the phone. He inspires confidence and trust, although I have never used him for services. I learned he is a former s2000 owner and said he is familiar with the jacking points (for those sensitive about their cars). I was happy to hear that he would be doing the mounting and balancing himself. If this matters for anyone, Dan said his shop frequently works on track cars, including P-GT3s. At this time I am leaning toward Dan rather than Euro Spec. Speaking with the person who will actually do the work makes a difference to me.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all
I haven't been on here in awhile seeing as how I'm in Okinawa japan right now on deployment.
I'm going to be back in Jacksonville sometime around June. Anyway, getting to the point..
I have 55k miles on my 03 S2k, I'm not to sure on how the car was driven before I owned it.
I want to have a Valve adjustment done and also replace the retainers with AP2 retainers.
Can anyone recommend someone or a shop for this work to be done ? I live right next to
River city powder coating if anyone is in that area.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ao1904
Hello all
I haven't been on here in awhile seeing as how I'm in Okinawa japan right now on deployment.
I'm going to be back in Jacksonville sometime around June. Anyway, getting to the point..
I have 55k miles on my 03 S2k, I'm not to sure on how the car was driven before I owned it.
I want to have a Valve adjustment done and also replace the retainers with AP2 retainers.
Can anyone recommend someone or a shop for this work to be done ? I live right next to
River city powder coating if anyone is in that area.

I am in the same boat as you are with an '02 and 49K. Tachyon Automotive did the valve adjustment for me, and they found 6 valves that were loose and out of spec. That being said, unless you are having problems with the retainers, I wouldn't change them. Billman, you may or may not know that he is the S2000 guru, has stock retainers on his ap1 and has never had a problem. He even called his car the test mule, and said he would post as soon as he has a retainer issue. I talked to Jeff at Science of Speed too (happened to be in Phoenix on business, and stopped into their shop), and he has only seen 1 instance of cracked retainers on a track car that was consistently mechanically over-revved. These guys are experts on the S2K, I trust what they tell me. Save yourself the money, and trust your retainers are good.
It's hard to beat Tachyon's shop rates, and they are very capable mechanics. Just to put it in perspective (since I don't feel competent enough to touch my car's valves) they charged me $198 for the adjustment, and quoted an additional $350-ish to change retainers. It's all labor hours. If you can do them yourself, why not, but I think you'll find your old retainers are fine. Are you having specific issues you're attributing to bad retainers?

Or hit up Jimreaper from this thread and figure out who Josh is. Sounds like he'll do one for you and charge less than a shop. Maybe even tackle your retainers if you're dead-set on the swap.

Good luck in Oki.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I am josh. I charge 100 for valve adjustment. I can check your stock ones out and see if there is any damage to them.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
I am josh. I charge 100 for valve adjustment. I can check your stock ones out and see if there is any damage to them.
hello josh, I'm Adrian. I live off san jose blvd but I work at Nas Jax (navy) Would it be alright to contact you about that valve adjustment and
looking at the retainers when I get back? like i said its not till around june but I just want to know that I have someone lined up for the job.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, no problem.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 AM

Where is the best place for body work? Specifically fender rolling or anything that goes with that.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Cesar from Sik Creations is good. He's done alot of them, and Christian from Autotechnics also.
Attached Thumbnails Local shops and parts  recommendations-img_8306.jpg   Local shops and parts  recommendations-camaro3.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone recommend a good body/paint shop? I have pitting on the trunk paint, and I'd like to have the trunk badge pulled and the holes plugged then the whole thing repainted factory Berlina Black.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try auto salon on blanding. I've heard good things.

Quick Reply: Local shops and parts recommendations