JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

any good thoughts on j's racing intake?

Old 10-30-2004, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any good thoughts on j's racing intake?

hi i maybe buying the j's racing cf cold air intake and wondering if anyone has any dyno plots or any idea how much better this intake does against spoons filter and airduct..it costs quite a bit and i expecting better gains if its not that much then i won't even bother..
Old 10-30-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No intake is going to net you significant gains on this car. Cooling down the intake charge is probably going to net you the largest change.

Also the J's requires you to cut your hood where as some of the spoon style intakes do not.

This said I have a J's intake and I am very happy with it. I did notice a difference improved throttle response and the slightest increase in power around 6200 rpm. I have not seen a dyno for this mod alone. But I am happy with mine and the intake is simply beautiful to look at.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:21 PM

i know the spoon don;t need cutting cuz i have the spoon intake already...just thinking if i should change to j's or not...is it worth it or not?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me the Js or Mugen intake is better than spoon because:

1)Better response (especially with the J's stomach)
2)Lightweight construciton (carbon Vs huge plastic)
3)Better filter (im not sure, but i think that the K+N filter is better than the spoon one)

BUT if you already have the Spoon filter+air duct, dont change it. I would suggest you to buy an aluminized heat barier to cover it AND PLEASE: remove the OEM resonator box!!!

THERMO TEC official site

Bill
Old 10-31-2004, 11:03 AM

The spoon is carbon/kevlar and I bet it weighs less than the mugen and j's which voids #2. #1&3 are subjective since I have never seen any flow or filtration tests on these filters/setups comparitively. Like it was stated, you won't see any big increase with any of these intakes. I say choose the one you like most and can afford and stick to it. Also, there's no way I would ever cover my beautiful spoon snorkel with aluminum heat tape just to POSSIBLY gain .00000000001 HP. If you have the spoon, stick with it unless you just have the money to swap them out every now and again and want something different.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by stingerbtry,Oct 31 2004, 02:03 PM
The spoon is carbon/kevlar and I bet it weighs less than the mugen and j's which voids #2.
I think he was referring to the fact that with the J's and Mugen, you remove the big stock airbox while the spoon is just an add-on to it.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by munckee,Oct 31 2004, 02:11 PM
I think he was referring to the fact that with the J's and Mugen, you remove the big stock airbox while the spoon is just an add-on to it.
Good point, I didn't think about it that way. Still can't be much since the stock box already doesn't weigh very much. Bu I guess every pound counts when adding them all up.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:12 PM

thx guys for the replies...ya i think i just gonna keep my spoon intake and cut the divider in the oem intake box...the j's and mugen intake is just rediculous prices on them just for an intake but i guess its bling...i rather save my money for better drivetrain...
Old 10-31-2004, 11:42 PM

I share the same opinion as ImportSport. I went from the Spoon intake to the J's intake and yes ... It does show improvements on acceleration and you'd end up saving more weight because the OEM airbox does weigh a fair bit.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:00 AM

I combined the Spoon CAI with the Comptech filter and alternate with the K&N filter. I percive a better response with the Comptech.

Quick Reply: any good thoughts on j's racing intake?