JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

ASM 70mm Resonator Rattle

Old 04-18-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ASM 70mm Resonator Rattle

I was under the impression the resonator was reinforced in 07. My 08 ASM 70mm (with helmholtz) has developed a nasty rattle. Any one else experiencing this? I set the bar pretty high for ASM products, this is just ridiculous...
Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All mass produced JDM exhausts are made in Taiwan who uses Chineses steel which is shit btw - so really they are all CTDM exhausts. That being said you can replace the resonator easily enough at any competent muffler shop.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
All mass produced JDM exhausts are made in Taiwan who uses Chineses steel which is shit btw - so really they are all CTDM exhausts. That being said you can replace the resonator easily enough at any competent muffler shop.
Actually, ASM makes all of their own stuff. And I'm pretty sure it's "in-house".

As for the rattle, have you checked to see if the pipe is tapping against the rear subframe? Saw a thread a while back, where a lot of people were complaining about the rattling, but it ended up being the pipe rattling against the subframe.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22
Originally Posted by Duke Togo' timestamp='1303246836' post='20484472
Actually, ASM makes all of their own stuff. And I'm pretty sure it's "in-house".

As for the rattle, have you checked to see if the pipe is tapping against the rear subframe? Saw a thread a while back, where a lot of people were complaining about the rattling, but it ended up being the pipe rattling against the subframe.
The rubbing on the subframe is apparent inside the car. It will rattle the cabin and you will actually feel vibration. I am fairly certain Steven's rattling is coming from the resonator. They are known to develop a rattle over time (yes even ASM unfortunately)

Although I am curious - how do you know ASM makes all of their own stuff inhouse? Not challenging you, just curious.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Squirtle
Originally Posted by FISH22' timestamp='1303251590' post='20484854
[quote name='Duke Togo' timestamp='1303246836' post='20484472']

The rubbing on the subframe is apparent inside the car. It will rattle the cabin and you will actually feel vibration. I am fairly certain Steven's rattling is coming from the resonator. They are known to develop a rattle over time (yes even ASM unfortunately)

Although I am curious - how do you know ASM makes all of their own stuff inhouse? Not challenging you, just curious.
[/quote]

Well, I know the rattling has mainly been an issue with the 70s. My current ASM 60 has almost 20k miles on it and running strong. The larger piping played a big roll with the 70s rubbing the subframe.

As for the comment about ASM making their own stuff... I know there's a few things they definitely make, all of their reinforcement bars and their exhausts. I'm sure Tommy or Aaron could post in here to verify that. They made a thread a while ago showing the work ASM does with their bars and such. And honestly, it's extremely hard to believe that the exhausts are made by some crappy outsourced company. The welds on my ASM exhaust are probably THE best I've seen on the market.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 PM

hard to believe and fact are two different things. That being said many private shops in California can replicate the same/better welds than ASM.

Let us know how the exhaust turns out Steven, I have had to get 2 different Japanese exhausts fixed for the same problem. One a J's and just recently a T1r.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Squirtle
hard to believe and fact are two different things.
Ha, well thanks for the insight.

Like I've stated, ASM does make their own parts, as for how many and which products, I'm not 100% sure. Unlike a company like T1R that does outsource.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:15 PM

ASM does NOT make their exhausts in-house.

FYI: T1R is not a Japanese company.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

awaiting aaron's response
Old 04-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by rev_to_8
ASM does NOT make their exhausts in-house.

FYI: T1R is not a Japanese company.
Oops! Im well aware that T1r is not japanese. I meant to claim overseas made exhausts. Pardon the error.

Also thanks for the ASM clearing Stan. Coming from someone who's visited the actual place I think we can take your word for it

Quick Reply: ASM 70mm Resonator Rattle