JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

ASM 70mm Resonator Rattle

Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen ASM exhausts in person. The welds arent "perfect" but they are certainly as perfect as your going to get for a mass produced exhaust. I'm a TIG welder so my definition of "perfect" is different from your average consumer.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to revive a dormant thread but I have been dealing with my friends asm 70 mm exhaust.

She tracks her s2k an basically as lap times improves the appearance of cracks has increased in frequency.

About a year ago, her rear resonator core basically separated completely from the body, it sounded horrible like nuts and bolts in a coffee can. Once the engine's rpm was above 3500 it went away, but of course running around town her s2k didn't sound healthy with asm rattle and carbotech brake squeak.

I got the exhaust fixed by Valley muffler in socal, which rectified the problem and immediately all parties were happy and the s2k sounded good.

Then after her track day with xtremespeed @ SOW last november, the rattle re-appeared, however when we brought it back to valley muffler, this time it was the helmholtz chamber that had cracked, which was promptly repaired and again all was good.

About a week ago, the faint sounds of the rattle reappeared it's ugly head and this time it was the front resonator...it's going back to valley muffler, hopefully, one last time!

...but I find this unacceptable.

I have had borla, neuspeed, uuc and m7 on cars and Sato/Babyface, yoshimura, leo vince and moriwaki exhausts, a plethora of brands, everything from slipons to full titanium exhausts - this is the first I have ever experienced this type of catastrophic exhaust failure, repeatedly.

Granted when it is functioning, it sounds really really good, but it's ridiculous that this thing is so brittle!!!

Has anyone had success permanently fixing this exhaust by having a welder re-weld, ummm, everything?