JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Backyard Low mount Seat Rail install: MY06

Old 06-09-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the '07 install notes regarding the position sensor. Anyone know if my '08's is any different? I like the idea of less leg-pretzel-ing to get in and out.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone notice that the seat doesn't go back to the furthest position? i just installed my seat rail on the drivers side, and now my seat is about 3 inches forward from the back of the car. i like the new lower position, but i need leg room too. i'm 6 feet, and i used to have my seat one notch from the furthest position from the wheel.
now i feel like i'm driving an F1.
BTW it's an 03 AP1.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know how I do it, but I've got my seat pushed back as much as it can go with the BYS seat rail installed and I'm 6'4". But it does take some heaving to get the seat to go all the way back.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drog,May 22 2007, 10:51 AM
So, I installed one of these rails in my 07 as well. Here is how I interpreted the position sensor's operation. It detects when the seat is close to the steering wheel, rather the distance. A rail of metal passes through the sensor when the seat is positioned forward. When in my normal seating position, the metal rail was outside of the sensor's range. I simply drilled a hole in the bottom of the rail, tapped it and bolted the seat position sensor on the bottom on the cross rail, so it would not get too "close" to any metal objects. I think it is important to keep it from rolling around under the seat, as it could attach itself to a bit of metal and cause problems with the airbag system.
I used zip ties to secure my sensor in my 2007.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by yellowlab,Jun 20 2008, 09:12 PM
anyone notice that the seat doesn't go back to the furthest position? i just installed my seat rail on the drivers side, and now my seat is about 3 inches forward from the back of the car. i like the new lower position, but i need leg room too. i'm 6 feet, and i used to have my seat one notch from the furthest position from the wheel.
now i feel like i'm driving an F1.
BTW it's an 03 AP1.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am thinking about doing this but I have the same year (2003) and I currently sit with my seat in the farthest position back.. Now I am afraid of doing it.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by F1-Fanatic,Aug 31 2008, 09:11 AM
I am thinking about doing this but I have the same year (2003) and I currently sit with my seat in the farthest position back.. Now I am afraid of doing it.
The problem is that the seat pan now makes contact with the floor. If you pull the lever and really force the seat back I feel like you can get it pretty far back, close to 100%. However I can't say for sure...

Man how tall are you that you need the seat all the way back?! I'm 6'3" and only put it about 5/8ths back..
Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 PM

I'm 6'2" and I drive with the seat ALL the way back. I guess it all depends on how long your legs/torso are.

Apparently my legs are really long.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm within an inch or so of going all the way back. I wasn't careful to clear off the bottom of the seat. There's a harness retainer or two sticking out. I think I'd slide back easier if I cleared 'em off but I don't need to. I suppose worst case you could also bash the bottom of the seat up a little with a mallet (I think I saw that in an alternate no-new-rails thread).
Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 AM

Price?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They cost $330. I just put mine in this morning. Only two problems. I don't have an allen wrench big enough for that aftermarket bolt on the inboard side for the seat upright, and the machine screw they provided for the front of the seat back latch cover is the wrong size (too big). Looks like I'll be making a trip to ACE today... Otherwise, I'm 6'4 and have fun trying to see the traffic lights when I'm first in line (the desired position!) and also it's been hard to get the rear-view mirror angled up high enough for me. Both problems seem to have been improved greatly! Install took about 30 minutes, would have been less, but it took me about 5 min. to figure out that the seat back latch just pulls off to the front of the seat in order to get the cover off. I have a MY02, so no issues with the airbag sensor, just plug in the seatbelt sensor and you're on your way! Thumbs up for this product.

Quick Reply: Backyard Low mount Seat Rail install: MY06